Author Topic: GV scenario  (Read 985 times)

Offline WOLF359

• Zinc Member
GV scenario
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2007, 10:14:39 PM »
I'd love to try a Blitzkreig where you can actually take the base and keep it for the next frame.

Offline Mystic2

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Silver Member
      • http://www.theunforgivenweb.com
GV scenario
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2007, 06:40:27 AM »
There have been a few occasions where gv's were used towards the end of a frame, and if memory serves(:rolleyes: ) it went over very well.  I do think it would be hard to do just a gv campaign, but the ideas used above could make it a very interesting event.  Of course the people in gv's would have to get at least 2 lives with the ease in which gv's can be killed... but over all I think it could be fun.  Keep the ideas comin.... this is what makes FSO so great  :aok

Mystic2
FSO Setup CM
~~~THE UNFORGIVEN~~~
"LIVE FREE, DIE WELL"

mystic2@ahevents.org

Offline Flatbar

• Nickel Member
GV scenario
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2007, 10:45:57 AM »
Some years ago there was a Kursk scenario that had a large GV component. I believe there was even a snapshot event also. Those were a ton of fun and drew a bunch of players who don't normaly participate in scenarios because of the lack of a GV component.

I was CO of the ground units for the axis and our side never had many empty slots.

I concur with the need to limit the a/c attack element because of the unrealistic modeling of dropped ords in AH. Maybe having attack a/c limited to only one or two frames and also limiting bomb size to the smallest available and having multiple lives for the GVers would be a good solution.

Limiting the number of Ostys will be an issue and should be addressed in the planning.

Also, one thing to consider is that the terrain needs much more detailed modeling and testing. GV spawn issues are tough to deal with during an event and require intensive testing to ensure all random spawn points within a spawn area are viable. The land/sea interface needs thorough testing also for obvious reasons.

I think a GV based FSO would draw squads into the FSO events who don't normaly attend because of the lack of a GV component in most FSO's.

Any FSO modeled after Kursk, Stalingrad, N. Africa < now that we have the B25H > or the Battle of the Bulge would be a blast and would help to expand the number of squads who participate in FSO's on a regular basis.

An Afrika Corps type FSO would interest me since my step-dad flew in the B25G in North Afrika mainly against shipping in the Med. I'm sure the addition of this plane, unless carefully implemented, would generate a signal to noise ratio unheard of in past FSO events :P

Just my .02

Offline REP0MAN

• Gold Member
GV scenario
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2007, 11:23:21 AM »
Originally posted by Flatbar
I think a GV based FSO would draw squads into the FSO events who don't normaly attend because of the lack of a GV component in most FSO's.

I think you are correct. I don't know for sure but I would bet that the LTARS would make a strong showing if the event had a GV components.

Keep it going guys, these are great ideas.

:aok
Apparently, one in five people in the world are Chinese. And there are five people in my family, so it must be one of them. It's either my mum or my dad. Or my older brother, Colin. Or my younger brother, Ho-Chan-Chu. But I think it's Colin. - Tim Vine.

Offline Sled

• Gold Member
      • Friday Squad Operations
GV scenario
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2007, 10:45:38 PM »
I have not read this whole thread, but I do want to point out some things regarding this subject, as I do have some knowledge of the history of this subject and FSO.

The last time GV's were used in great numbers in FSO the biggest issue was frame rates for most of the players in the GV's. Dozens of GV comanders reported frame rates in the single digits. Now that was a while ago and things might be different now.

I think it would be good if we could get some volunteers (50+) to help with a test in the SEA to see how well this is going to work when 50+ GV's are all in a small area.

Besides that, I am all for the use of GV's in FSO, and the combination of GV and AC use in FSO.

Maybe this next Friday (an off Friday) or the next FSO frame (11-2-07), we can get a large group of volunteers to help do this in the SEA.
~Sled~                 Aces High Special Events
USMC/71sqn
      XO               What Aces High is really all about.

Offline Bannor

• Nickel Member
GV scenario
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2007, 10:38:50 AM »
If you can set it up then I shall endevour to be there.:aok
Destiny brought you here, now FATE will deal with your six!

Damn, we're in a tight spot!

Offline Viper61

• Nickel Member
GV's in the FSO
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2007, 02:09:45 PM »
I remember the same scenario as Sled about a year ago this was tried.  As I remember it was alot of fun.  I recommend keeping it very simple and easy.  Those FSO's tend to be the best.

Sled:  During the FSO you talked about with the low frame rates there was only one GV engagement area thus we were all packed into a very small area.  This probably had much to do with the frame rate issue.

In that scenario most of everyone upped in GV's for the first hour and then respawned when killed or at H+60 into Aircraft and fought over the same ground.

I would like to see that scenario again but instead of one large GV battle divide it up into the 3 target areas like most FSO's.  That would help the frame rates.  I also recommend a "Meeting Engagement" and not a defend vis an attack scenario for the GV's.  If both sides are attacking the battle will be much better.  Suggestion place a "Tank Town" like objective in the center and let both sides race for it.  I recommend no supplies either otherwise very skilled players will never die and who wants to drive an M-3 all night,,,, really?.  Also I would recommend a terrain with woods and limited hills as this would keep great tank gunners from killing guys at 2500 meters.  That way we all have fun and not just drive for 15 minutes and get killed by a guy like Wonder from a mile away.  Use the low valued GV's and no high energy guns like the Tigers or the Shermans.  Make the battle get up close and ugly.  

Let it stand at one ride one life.  Once you die then back to the hanger for a plane with one life.

Offline trax1

• Gold Member
GV scenario
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2007, 04:00:12 PM »
After reading this whole thread I have to tell you I'm excited about trying a GV based FSO, I think it would be alot of fun just because it's something different.  FSO's are great but it would be nice to do something completely different from what we normally do.  

I like the idea of having the woods and not many hills, because like Viper said you'll get guys who are really good in GV's who can kill you from over a mile out, you'd die never having even seen the enemy.  I also like the idea of splitting it up into like 3 different battle area's, this would help the frame rate issue, and if you have us all in one area your just gonna get a TT situation where you have 75 guys in one small area and the fight might be very quick for alot of people.  

I think we should also have a rule where a/c aren't allowed to bomb the GV's, let the GV's fight it out, and have the a/c fight it out.  We could have a/c come over the GV battle field and do spotting for the GV's on the ground, but not let them bomb the GV's.  

As for the M3's & Jeeps, I think that the guys in GV's just get 2 life's and I'm sure each squad could have like 1 or 2 guys who volunteer to do M3 or Jeep duty for one of their lives, after they drop off supplies they could then drive around and do some scouting for the other guys in the GV's.  I just think the whole idea is great, and I think it's gonna be alot of fun.
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." - Hunter S. Thompson

Offline trax1

• Gold Member
GV scenario
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2007, 02:12:52 PM »
So has there been any talks among the CM's about giving this a try, even for maybe atleast 1 frame of an FSO?
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." - Hunter S. Thompson

Offline Stoney74

• Silver Member
GV scenario
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2007, 02:07:03 AM »
Concept is in the works.  Not promising anything, but if we can figure out a way to do it, it will happen.

Offline Kurt

• Silver Member
      • http://www.clowns-of-death.com
GV scenario
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2007, 08:18:06 AM »
In the past in FSO there was an event where after the initial attack, downed fighters (or bombers -- don't remember) respawned as GV's.  That was actually a lot of fun.

Something like that would work (it did before).
--Kurt
Supreme Exalted Grand Pooh-bah Clown
Clowns of Death <Now Defunct>
'A pair of jokers beats a pair of aces'

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
GV scenario
« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2007, 04:26:10 PM »
I do like this idea.

Have most players in GVs.
1-2 squadrons for resupply.
2-3 squadrons for fighter/attack (You cannot have a plane that carries too many bombs, if you get a whole squadron of those it would completely ruin the fun for the GV'ers)
Say a P-47 or F8, they carry ordinance, but not enough to take out the entire GV squads.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com