Author Topic: Corsair  (Read 1170 times)

Offline Cypher

• Copper Member
Corsair
« on: October 22, 2007, 06:21:43 PM »
Has anyone had a problam with the F4U-1D suddenly snaping into a role whenever you try to turn? If so, what can i do to avoid that?

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
Corsair
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2007, 06:58:01 PM »
Welcome to flying the bent-winged bird.

The key is getting a feel for how far you can push the Hog before she snaps over (this applied to all marks, though some are more twitchy than others).

My advice if you're still learning is to keep the Hog fast, ESPECIALLY if you're in a large fight. She's both highly maneuverable, and more stable, around 300mph. She can and will hang with about anything at low airspeeds with flaps out, but you're riding a fine edge and it takes a steady hand to push her to her limits without crossing over (and as you've doubtless learned, the Hog can be nasty once she departs).

It's also a matter of quick recovery. If you can time it right, you can catch the accelerated stall before you lose position in a slow fight.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline RumbleB

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Corsair
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2007, 02:13:29 AM »
Go to DA. Ask someone to duel you in a hog. Keep duelling for 2 hours. Make sure you get the hang of using flaps in that thing.

Voila... d-hog tamed. Few hours of straight DA can equal to weeks of MA in terms of learning how hard you can push something in turns.

Offline SAS_KID

• Silver Member
      • http://www.myspace.com/saskid
Corsair
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2007, 09:41:40 AM »
The Corsair's have the tendency to snap stall in a low and slow turnfight if you are not careful. Go to the DA or TA and just learn to ride that edge. In addition, do not forget to use flaps and its awesome rudder.
Quote from: hitech on Today at 09:27:26 AM
What utter and compete BS, quite frankly I should kick you off this bbs for this post.

The real truth is you do not like the answer.

HiTech

Offline goober69

• Nickel Member
Corsair
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2007, 07:00:54 PM »
yea rudder in the f4uic doubles your already good roll rate
flying as Marvin57
"we few we happy few,
  we band of brothers;"
W.S  Henery V

Offline WaRLoCkL

• Nickel Member
      • http://elitebf2aces.net
Corsair
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2007, 01:51:31 PM »
The snap will occure mostly when u force to much ELEVATOR UP control, and a good combination of hard rudder and elevator in same direction will send u into a snap roll.  

Be gentle with your manuvers, the breaking point is different at different speeds. at high speeds u can yank the stick all the way back and be fine, but the slower u get the more gentle u have to be.

Also the -1D has the worst stall properties of all hogs. the -1a is your best bet for dog fighting. out of the group its the fastest and best turner out of the non perked corsairs

Offline BluKitty

• Nickel Member
      • http://
Corsair
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2007, 05:30:44 PM »
Don't listen to these guys...  at least for very long if you want to think outside the box.

Embrace everything your plane can do.  Don't fight reality, or the simulated reality.  This not a problem with the f4u, but a feature.  

That said, you need to control it, and only do it when you intend to.  Taking this approach you will start to not snaproll as much unless you intend to, and you will begin to understand how to control your aircraft within a snaproll-stall.

Snap-rolls can be used; done correctly, they are one of the best methods for getting out of plane with an attacker while retaining allot of energy.

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
Corsair
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2007, 05:54:49 PM »
The key is embracing the simulated reality without screwing himself into the simulated dirt. The Hog has a LOT of tricks, but they're a real handful for someone new to the ship to try and learn them all at one time (there's still things *I'M* learning). I'll always advocate newcomers to the F4U learning how to handle her at higher speeds (~300mph) first--ESPECIALLY if they're in larger fights where the F4U is more vulnerable at low airspeeds.

But twisting on the deck at stall speeds is not something I'd recommend for someone who's having trouble turning without spinning it out.

That said, as Blu says a snaproll CAN be useful when done correctly--I especially like doing them to throw off HO attempts, though oddly it seems I'm always inverted when I recover.... I personally consider that a more advanced maneuver because of the timing and control in execution and recovery required.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2007, 05:59:21 PM by Saxman »
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline BluKitty

• Nickel Member
      • http://
Corsair
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2007, 06:06:50 PM »
I think I approach things differently than many do.  I feel like that is how I learned ACM.  By going out and trying to get higher cons to attack me.  By trying to control snap-rolls.  Etc. Etc.

You are right that such advice may be too advanced for a new player... I'm just trying to point out, that if you aim your standards 'low', you probably won't hit the 'higher' goals.  Aim for 'high' standards.  I make no claim to being a good teacher... when things come naturally, it's hard to know how to teach :D

Still, if you approach things with the wrong mentality I think you are limiting your potential.  You are learning bad habits that are hard to unlearn.  That is the basically what I mean by my first post :)

Offline SAS_KID

• Silver Member
      • http://www.myspace.com/saskid
Corsair
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2007, 06:21:51 PM »
The great kitty has spoken. :D

But yes any thing you think is bad can be used for good. (Crappy analogy)

Such as a snaproll. I myself use the snaproll to roll faster. But tis jsut being able to control it so you get it to what you want. (Sorry for the poor english i am in a hurry. I hope you get what I mean.)
Quote from: hitech on Today at 09:27:26 AM
What utter and compete BS, quite frankly I should kick you off this bbs for this post.

The real truth is you do not like the answer.

HiTech

Offline SirLoin

• Platinum Member
Corsair
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2007, 10:44:17 AM »
Watch out for the "death compression" in the hog(especially in the f4u4)

once it bites your flight is over...if u have less than 75% gas you should be immune to it...

be carefull what attitude your nose is in when really fast in Hog.
**JOKER'S JOKERS**

Offline WaRLoCkL

• Nickel Member
      • http://elitebf2aces.net
Corsair
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2007, 10:51:55 AM »
actually I dont think there is any other plane that has a higher compression speed? i have had my corsair chalking up close to 575 nose down and was able to pull up and ive had it at a 45 degree angle at 600 true air speed and still had very limited controls.

I have wrapped the speedometor around on quit a few occasions.

Im not a expert on all aircraft but I think it has more control than almost any other at compression speeds, trim and easily save u sometimes.

However sirloin is right if u fly the the corsaira lot and then take a -4 up it can get away from u quickly becaue u are use the slow acceloration of the normal corsairs theirfor u may be full power at all times in a dive.

With the -4 u wont need to be at full power on any diver much over 5k descent.