Author Topic: Pictures and report from Iraq from my nephew  (Read 2374 times)

Offline Boroda

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
Pictures and report from Iraq from my nephew
« Reply #75 on: November 16, 2007, 03:00:16 AM »
Originally posted by Captain Virgil Hilts
Germany lost the war the minute they failed to stop the Normandy invasion. Once they had to fight on two fronts on the same continent they were done. Yes, it was decided that Russia would take Berlin. That does not mean the rest of the allies did nothing or did nit enter Germany, just that Russia took Berlin. And taking Berlin didn't entitle Russia to take control of all of Europe. If Russia could have done it on their own, Stalin wouldn't have been begging the rest of the allies to invade.

LOL.

Stalin was begging for the Second Front in 1941. In 1944 it wasn't needed at all.

Germans didn't resist "allies" on the Western front, the only serious counter-attack in Ardennes almost turned into a catastrophe, so that time "allies" had to beg for Stalin's help. Visla-Oder operation started earlier then planned, causing even more losses.

If "Patton was right" - then I'd expect another Dunkirk in a matter of weeks after "allied" attack on Soviet troops. In 1945 there were no impossible things for Red Army.

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #76 on: November 16, 2007, 03:25:10 AM »
Yes yes, we know that the Russians crushed the Nazi warmachine single handed, and the western allies efforts weigted little or nothing :rolleyes:

NOT
It was very interesting to carry out the flight trials at Rechlin with the Spitfire and the Hurricane. Both types are very simple to fly compared to our aircraft, and childishly easy to take-off and land. (Werner Mölders)

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #77 on: November 16, 2007, 04:25:01 AM »
BTW, opened a thread on a topic on that, - what if the UK had made peace with Hitler in 1940.
It was very interesting to carry out the flight trials at Rechlin with the Spitfire and the Hurricane. Both types are very simple to fly compared to our aircraft, and childishly easy to take-off and land. (Werner Mölders)

Offline LEADPIG

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #78 on: November 16, 2007, 04:38:32 AM »
Originally posted by Angus
BTW, opened a thread on a topic on that, - what if the UK had made peace with Hitler in 1940.

Would've been very much like how a virus sometimes disguises itself as a normal amino acid or protein, gets past the cell wall and begins to eat that cell and the rest of the ones in the body alive.

Germany would've had a hell of a time trying to invade America though. I think he either wouldn't have tried or gave up and the cold war would've been very different. Well maybe not that different. Rather have the Soviet Union than Nazism. I think i've heard that prediction somewhere before though.

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #79 on: November 16, 2007, 05:05:10 AM »
CHECK THE OTHER THREAD ;)

ooops, my 1 year old caught the caps lock again.

Offline Gunslinger

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #80 on: November 16, 2007, 03:47:02 PM »
Originally posted by LEADPIG
Yea i don't wanna live like that either. But that being said i respect they're right to live however they want as long as they stay the hell away from me. If they try, they must die is my philosophy. If they wanna commit family killings and such things to justify their family after what they deem is a disgrace, so be it, i don't care, just don't try that with me or mine is all i say.

That being said i really don't see how going over in they're  neck of the woods and being over in their situation is going to help us too much. When they can still just as easily come over here at any time and kill us while we're not looking. Perhaps it's unbalancing them and that's good. They will live however they want as long as we try to "Americanize" them. And we shouldn't try to "Americanize" them any more than they should try to "Islamofacist" us. It's not our business. We should put up our protection without having to get too much involved in changing a culture that has nothing to do with us. Only the ones who try to impose it on Americans should die. The rest can live however they want.

Although I'm kind of late in the conversation I do want to throw my two cents in to the discusssion.  

I don't necessarily believe in the policy of pre-emption however, I do think that history teaches us that murderous dictators can only be appeased and contained for so long.  What usually happens when we take an isolationist approach is that the killing usually ends up spilling over and impacting American interests some how some way.  Hindsight is always blah blah blah and we probably could have avoided a bloody conflict and mass loss of lives to begin with had we gotten involved.

That being said I do agree with you that American GIs are by no means the world's police and that many of times our foreign policy initiatives, while good intentioned, have often back fired.

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
« Reply #81 on: November 16, 2007, 05:21:49 PM »
My whole family would like to pass on a and Thank you to your nephew Rip.:aok

JG-11"Black Hearts"...nur die Stolzen, nur die Starken

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #82 on: November 16, 2007, 05:45:33 PM »
Ok LP, Ive got where you are coming from, in a very generalized way.  I have met people and had lengthy discussions that hold your basic beliefs in standard humanism and I respect those beliefs immensely.  However, my experience in life has been a wonderful one and I attribute that to many things, two of which stand out profoundly in my mind:

1) A unique and beautiful extended family experience

2) A unique and beautiful experience living in what I rightfully believe to be the greatest nation yet conceived on this earth.  

With all its warts and ugliness, it is still a far cry from what most other nations have been able to achieve.  I salute the United Kingdom, Canada, New Zealand and Australia for carrying very similar traditions in culture and government as we do here in these United States, and I can easily think of a dozen other nations, some in Western Europe, that strive for the equilibrium present in this land, but I believe firmly we have the most to gain, and the most to lose.  Yet, by and large, I would fight to the last measure of my ability to escape from the majority of nations presently existing on this planet, to come here.

I am sure you could justifiably tear me a new one for my views.  Its been done before and it will happen again, the beauty of democracy eh.....

Just my opinion though and thanks for sharing yours

Lastly I agree with you on this: We all will suffer the exact same fate in this life, as all life experiences its own demise.  The billions that have been, and hopefully, those many more to follow us as we each wind our own singular  way through time.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2007, 05:53:10 PM by Yeager »
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline LEADPIG

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #83 on: November 16, 2007, 06:29:41 PM »
Originally posted by Yeager

With all its warts and ugliness, it is still a far cry from what most other nations have been able to achieve.  I salute the United Kingdom, Canada, New Zealand and Australia for carrying very similar traditions in culture and government as we do here in these United States, and I can easily think of a dozen other nations, some in Western Europe, that strive for the equilibrium present in this land, but I believe firmly we have the most to gain, and the most to lose.  Yet, by and large, I would fight to the last measure of my ability to escape from the majority of nations presently existing on this planet, to come here.

I wholeheartedly agree on this. America i believe is mans best attempt at governing himself. I do not believe man will ever govern himself effectively however and that total peace will ever be achieved in this existence. This is the state of being where things are supposed to be screwed up. How else would we ever learn anything living in a Utopia. I don't believe there is a hell only a heaven and there is no judgement. At least from a loving God, only the judgement we inact upon ourselves and others. I don't believe God is cruel enough to do such things, or wishes too. Only man. In light of that i believe America is a really good try, and certainly one of man's best attempts. America may do wrong, and here's the clincher, it always tries to do right in the end. Beautiful Country.

That being said i ultimately hold no particular allegiance. Only to the things i feel i will take with me upon leaving this planet. That is love, honesty, integrity, and other such enduring things. And it's very hard for me to pledge my soul to things that to me are not of an eternal everlasting state, and is just a temporary existence. That being said i will strive my best to always respect another mans views, who knows i could be wrong.

Originally posted by Yeager

Lastly I agree with you on this: We all will suffer the exact same fate in this life, as all life experiences its own demise.  The billions that have been, and hopefully, those many more to follow us as we each wind our own singular  way through time.

Yeager some of the most beautiful, true poetic words i've ever heard. to you. :aok

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #84 on: December 02, 2007, 04:12:43 PM »
More pictures from my Nephew sent yesterday:

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #85 on: December 02, 2007, 04:14:35 PM »

Offline LEADPIG

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #86 on: December 04, 2007, 06:20:53 PM »
Is he coming back soon?

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #87 on: December 04, 2007, 06:39:09 PM »
Originally posted by Boroda
LOL.

Stalin was begging for the Second Front in 1941. In 1944 it wasn't needed at all.

Germans didn't resist "allies" on the Western front, the only serious counter-attack in Ardennes almost turned into a catastrophe, so that time "allies" had to beg for Stalin's help. Visla-Oder operation started earlier then planned, causing even more losses.

If "Patton was right" - then I'd expect another Dunkirk in a matter of weeks after "allied" attack on Soviet troops. In 1945 there were no impossible things for Red Army.

Damn you all must make some potent vodka!

So powerful as to cause hallucinations and dellusions
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline Fencer51

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #88 on: December 04, 2007, 06:56:00 PM »
Anyone know what tank that is in the 13th picture down from the top?

Hope he gets home safely .
Fencer
The names of the irrelevant have been changed to protect their irrelevance.
The names of the innocent and the guilty have not been changed.
As for the innocent, everyone needs to know they are innocent –
As for the guilty… they can suck it.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #89 on: December 04, 2007, 07:06:01 PM »
Originally posted by Fencer51
Anyone know what tank that is in the 13th picture down from the top?

Hope he gets home safely .

13th from the top?

AH-64 Apache flying tank?