Author Topic: post if yu are 50 or older  (Read 15966 times)

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
post if yu are 50 or older
« Reply #105 on: November 15, 2007, 07:04:05 PM »
Originally posted by storch
in my neighborhood the dads whistled for the boys to come home, each dad had a distinct whistle.  my dad only whistled when I messsed up and needed to get home and set things right.  you could hear his whistle two blocks away.  if I didn't hear it someone did and would cruise up with hey your dad is whistling for you.  oh ***** peddle as fast as I could for home.

:rofl ... back when I was a kid, my town was pretty rural and my neighborhood was all dead-end roads and bordered a dairy farm ... so my Dad's whistle could carry for a long way.  

When ya heard the whistle ... you knew your arse was grass ... I worked hard at not having to hear that whistle. Dad was a West Point grad so he had a militaristic way of handling things. If anyone here has graduated from the "Point" or had a father that was a grad ... you will know what I am talking about.

We also had one of those stupid bells attached to the side of the house by the front door ... that was my Mom's way of calling me.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #106 on: November 15, 2007, 07:13:13 PM »
Originally posted by Rich46yo
Can you guys imagine us calling the Police, way back when, cause the old man cracked us one?:lol :lol

Yeah ... the cop would of reamed our arse out and the held us so the 'Ol man could crack ya again.

Wild Kingdom ... loved the show ... hated the segway into the commercials tho ... bugged the crap out me.

"See how the mother lion protects her cubs ... well if you had Mutal of Omaha's home owners insurance, you can rest knowing that your "pride" will always have a safe place to live to" ... something like that.

Color TV ... yeah right. Only B&W for us and only 2 or 3 channels depending upon the weather.

My dad and I loved hockey and loved to watch the NY Rangers ... well to get that channel, the antenna had to be in the right spot. We had a pair of vise grips snapped onto the antenna pole so I could turn it, and when the signal was good ... dad would bang on the wall ... was fun doing that when it was 10 degrees or colder.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline sax

• Gold Member
      • http://www.13thtas.com
« Reply #107 on: November 15, 2007, 08:53:31 PM »
Originally posted by SlapShot

Color TV ... yeah right. Only B&W for us and only 2 or 3 channels depending upon the weather.

My dad and I loved hockey and loved to watch the NY Rangers ... well to get that channel, the antenna had to be in the right spot. We had a pair of vise grips snapped onto the antenna pole so I could turn it, and when the signal was good ... dad would bang on the wall ... was fun doing that when it was 10 degrees or colder.

one channell b & w till some boys with wire cutters cut the wires
holding the tower up .

Funny thing is I had to wait untill I was well in my 40's to see
a Canadian win the Cup for the Rangers . I called the
cable company and had the wires cut :)

Offline Hungry

• Nickel Member
Those were the Day's
« Reply #108 on: November 15, 2007, 09:42:28 PM »
My dad was the guy everyone in the family / friends called when their TV wasn’t working, I used to go to the local Walgreen’s? Store with him while he used the machine to test the tubes ( remember those ) as a result we had a color TV pretty early on and being somewhat close to Chicago we had the channels man.  

Oh and the other thing when the front porch light came on I had about two minutes to get my butt in the house an check in.  I have to say though once the folks knew that I was in the yard and it was a no school night I could stay out outside with the friends in the neighborhood.  Back then there was no regular garbage pickup so a lot of people burned what they could everyone had a fire pit or an old drum.  We’d stay out start a fire and then play flashlight tag or just bs by the fire.
"I would gladly pay you Tuesday for a Hamburger today"

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #109 on: November 16, 2007, 05:39:27 AM »
Didn't have one of those, but we had a pair of the early model Artic Cats that followed it a few years later.  15 horsepower, would do maybe 20-25 mph on good going.  Dad kept one running for years just for pulling ice fishing houses on & off the lake.  

Originally posted by BaldEagl
Anyone remember these?

A Polaris Sno-Traveller.  My best friend across the highway got one when I was about 8.  It would only do about 8 mph but did we have a blast on that thing.  Of course, if we got stuck it took us all day to get it out.

Offline Old Sport

• Nickel Member
« Reply #110 on: November 16, 2007, 06:58:33 AM »
When I was a young kid on the farm, one late afternoon we all heard the heavy rumbling of a big airplane growing louder and louder. The whole family ran outside to see a four-engined TWA Constellation flying over with gear and flaps out. My aunt was a flight attendant and had asked the pilot to buzz her sister's farm on the way to KC.

Yeah, those were the days.

Don't forget Bonanza on TV too.

Offline CHECKERS

• Silver Member
      • http://www.geocities.com/motorcity/1502/index.html
« Reply #111 on: November 16, 2007, 06:58:40 AM »
9/30/44
Originally posted by Panman
God the BK's are some some ugly mo-fo's. Please no more pictures, I'm going blind Bet your mothers don't even love ya cause u'all sooooooooo F******* ulgy.

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #112 on: November 16, 2007, 09:36:26 AM »
Originally posted by sax
one channell b & w till some boys with wire cutters cut the wires
holding the tower up .

Funny thing is I had to wait untill I was well in my 40's to see
a Canadian win the Cup for the Rangers . I called the
cable company and had the wires cut :)

Well ... if you were 40 then it must have been this one ...

1927-28 New York Rangers  vs Montreal Maroons

In 1994 ... it was Brian Leetch who brought the Rangers the Cup and he got the Conn Smythe Trophy too.

Brian grew up in Cheshire, CT .. which is around 3 towns over from where I live and grew up ... so he wasn't Canadian.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Offline TEShaw

• Silver Member
« Reply #113 on: November 16, 2007, 11:05:48 AM »
It requires good luck in order to get old.

Anyone old is, by definition, lucky.

Good luck.

regards, T. E. Shaw

Offline Dutchie

• Copper Member
« Reply #114 on: November 16, 2007, 11:21:24 AM »
to all the Old Farts :D

(still 8 years to go here hehe)

Offline Hap

• Gold Member
« Reply #115 on: November 16, 2007, 11:28:28 AM »
50 here.  Banter between players corsened badly since I 1st played.

Nice to see the names of guys I mostly get along with.

Offline sax

• Gold Member
      • http://www.13thtas.com
« Reply #116 on: November 16, 2007, 12:15:49 PM »
Originally posted by SlapShot
Well ... if you were 40 then it must have been this one ...

1927-28 New York Rangers  vs Montreal Maroons

In 1994 ... it was Brian Leetch who brought the Rangers the Cup and he got the Conn Smythe Trophy too.

Brian grew up in Cheshire, CT .. which is around 3 towns over from where I live and grew up ... so he wasn't Canadian.

Mark Messier , St. Albert  Alberta

Leetch was deserving tho .

So yu a Jagr fan ? I used to be ok with him before the salute.

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #117 on: November 16, 2007, 03:16:52 PM »
Originally posted by Old Sport
When I was a young kid on the farm, one late afternoon we all heard the heavy rumbling of a big airplane growing louder and louder. The whole family ran outside to see a four-engined TWA Constellation flying over with gear and flaps out. My aunt was a flight attendant and had asked the pilot to buzz her sister's farm on the way to KC.

Yeah, those were the days.

Don't forget Bonanza on TV too.

Bonanza was a classic. The rifleman? Remember The Rebel? Remember "Combat" with Vic Morrow?? My old man used to speak German and he used to translate. Now that was great combat TV.

Remember Mchales Navy?:lol Hogans Heros?:lol Leave it to Beaver?? Remember Eddie Haskell??:lol

Naw that was real TV back then. I feel for these poor kids today having to watch some of this stuff. I still watch the old shows on cable.
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #118 on: November 16, 2007, 04:05:20 PM »
Originally posted by Clifra Jones
What are the odds of this? Same day myself 10/12/57!

Offhand, I'd say 365/1.  ;)

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline TEShaw

• Silver Member
« Reply #119 on: November 16, 2007, 04:32:49 PM »
365.25/1

You forgot leap year.