Author Topic: post if yu are 50 or older  (Read 10126 times)

Offline dentin

  • Nickel Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 738
post if yu are 50 or older
« Reply #75 on: November 14, 2007, 05:26:11 PM »
Quote
Originally posted by 5PointOh
Wow...most of you are old enough to be my father. Enjoy my Social Security!

11/18/80   :aok
[/QUOTE

I/we are! :p
"The more I see of the depressing stature of people, the more I admire my dogs."
 Opinions are like Armpits..everyone has two and sometime they both stink!
"No matter how much things change, They remain the same"

Offline Nwbie

  • Gold Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 2019
post if yu are 50 or older
« Reply #76 on: November 14, 2007, 05:33:42 PM »
Couple years back as I was tossing some 20 sumtin's out the door of a bar I was bouncing at - the other bouncers would yell at the dearly departing former patrons

"Have some respect for your elders"

1956


:)
Skuzzy-- "Facts are slowly becoming irrelevant in favor of the nutjob."

storch

  • Guest
post if yu are 50 or older
« Reply #77 on: November 14, 2007, 05:58:39 PM »
that sounds like fun newbie :lol

Offline Boxboy

  • Nickel Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 740
post if yu are 50 or older
« Reply #78 on: November 14, 2007, 08:39:52 PM »
Quote
Originally posted by dentin
12/07/1941..
Most of my Uncles and a few Aunts served in various capacities while in the service of our Country...most now departed. :(


heheh ok you ment start of WWII for America then :)  My dad was at Iwo Jima, and I had uncles at almost very famous WWII battle except D-Day.

One Uncle at the Battle of the Bulge, one at Anzio, one at Guada Canal and my wifes' aunt was an Army nurse in London.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2007, 08:46:35 PM by Boxboy »
Sub Lt BigJim
801 Sqn FAA
Pilot

Offline clerick

  • Silver Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 1742
post if yu are 50 or older
« Reply #79 on: November 14, 2007, 10:52:59 PM »
to you all or figuring out how to turn the computer on!  My grandparents can barely manage that, much less post on a BBS, fly cartoon planes et.c.

Here's a question;  Who had to walk the farthest, climb the biggest hill (and in how many directions), traverse the deepest snowdrifts and with what kind of footwear to get to school, assuming school had been invented when you were younger?

p.s. any of you have an autographed picture of Jesus?

storch

  • Guest
post if yu are 50 or older
« Reply #80 on: November 15, 2007, 05:39:55 AM »
well clerick, I had to walk barefoot 100 miles to get to school up some very steep hills.  during the winter the snowdrifts were so high that we would walk on the fence post.  oh and it was up hill both ways.  yes that was during the last ice age when miami florida was both mountainous and cold.

Offline Rich46yo

  • Platinum Member
  • ******
  • Posts: 7241
post if yu are 50 or older
« Reply #81 on: November 15, 2007, 05:57:52 AM »
I'll tellya one thing I remember vividly is a time when everyone owning a PC wasnt even a concept. And when the Internet, before the great Al Gore invented it, wasnt even an idea. I never even saw a PC until the early 80s when my buddy first bought one and had some pathetic golf game on it, the playing of which, felt like walking on the moon. We used to stay up for hours playing that game and guzzling beer.

                           My 1st day of High School the kids shut the school down with a Vietnam war protest. I remember the first time Star Trek aired. I was home sick from school when JFK got blowed up. I remember Jerry Kramers block Packers/Dallas 1967 in frozen Lambeau field for the championship. I went to Disney world Florida the first week it was open. I remember hating disco.

                        In my day if you smarted off at school you got beat. I mean beat! Then the cops might beat you and the old man certainly would.

                      And now in AH we are like wise old elephants leading the herd to better pastures. Beware the older guys. Be afraid, be very afraid.
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline heeler

  • Zinc Member
  • *
  • Posts: 16
post if yu are 50 or older
« Reply #82 on: November 15, 2007, 07:27:01 AM »
does 59 qualify.....lol
C.O. 356TH-FBG HELL HAWKS / 388TH FS " DSLINGERS

GL 181 SQUADRON / ENEMY COAST AHEAD

Offline swoose

  • Copper Member
  • **
  • Posts: 118
post if yu are 50 or older
« Reply #83 on: November 15, 2007, 10:28:32 AM »
55 , I may be old but I'm in bad shape and senile.

Offline BaldEagl

  • Plutonium Member
  • *******
  • Posts: 10788
post if yu are 50 or older
« Reply #84 on: November 15, 2007, 10:41:32 AM »
Quote
Originally posted by clerick
to you all or figuring out how to turn the computer on!  My grandparents can barely manage that, much less post on a BBS, fly cartoon planes et.c.

Here's a question;  Who had to walk the farthest, climb the biggest hill (and in how many directions), traverse the deepest snowdrifts and with what kind of footwear to get to school, assuming school had been invented when you were younger?

p.s. any of you have an autographed picture of Jesus?


No BS.  This is true.

I grew up in northern MN, near the Canadian border.  Growing up we didn't have running water in our house.  We had a hand pump in the kitchen, an outhouse, an out-building sauna (good Finns that we are/were) and a crank phone on a party line.

We took baths once a week when the sauna got heated (my dad and bothers only made enough wood in the fall for weekly saunas through the year).  Trips to the outhouse at -30F were a winter norm.

By the time I was about 10 we got indoor running water in the kitchen so as a teen I was able to wash my hair daily and after I moved away my mother finally got an indoor shower.

I had to walk 1/4 mile to the highway and stand there waiting for the bus in the winter at anywhere from +10 to -40F, often through a foot of snow or more.

My how things have changed.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Old Sport

  • Nickel Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 523
post if yu are 50 or older
« Reply #85 on: November 15, 2007, 11:32:24 AM »
Quote
Originally posted by BaldEagl
No BS.  This is true.

I grew up in northern MN, near the Canadian border.  Growing up we didn't have running water in our house.  We had a hand pump in the kitchen, an outhouse, an out-building sauna (good Finns that we are/were) and a crank phone on a party line.

We took baths once a week when the sauna got heated (my dad and bothers only made enough wood in the fall for weekly saunas through the year).  Trips to the outhouse at -30F were a winter norm.

By the time I was about 10 we got indoor running water in the kitchen so as a teen I was able to wash my hair daily and after I moved away my mother finally got an indoor shower.

I had to walk 1/4 mile to the highway and stand there waiting for the bus in the winter at anywhere from +10 to -40F, often through a foot of snow or more.

My how things have changed.


Almost the same for me, 'cept I was in rural Missouri so it was a little warmer, and no Sauna, dang. We walked 1/4 mile down the muddy lane to a gravel road for the bus.

Two longs and short - for the phone, hehe.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2007, 11:39:48 AM by Old Sport »

Offline Clifra Jones

  • Silver Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 1209
post if yu are 50 or older
« Reply #86 on: November 15, 2007, 12:02:32 PM »
Quote
Originally posted by CAV
10/12/57

Just made it.

CAVALRY


What are the odds of this? Same day myself 10/12/57!

Offline SlapShot

  • Plutonium Member
  • *******
  • Posts: 9120
post if yu are 50 or older
« Reply #87 on: November 15, 2007, 12:22:48 PM »
Didn't have a crank phone, but phone numbers were assigned to "regions"

The town I grew up in was Watertown, CT. It's telephone region was "CRestwood" so all number began with 27 (CR).

The next town over, Thomaston, was "ATwood" so all numbers began with 28 (AT).

So if someone asked you what your phone number was you would say ... "Crestwood 4-5555".

Also, if you were in the "Crestwood" region and wanted to dial another number in the "Crestwood" region you only had to dial 4-xxxx.

Most of us withing this age spread could probably relate to this ...

During the summer, I would get up and out the door at 7 am in the morning. Take off on my bike with my buds, and not have to be home until 5 pm. During that time, my mom never knew where I was and it was never a concern. Can't do that nowadays.

You just had to make sure that your arse was in the dinner chair for 5 pm tho ... else all hell broke loose ... go figure.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2007, 12:24:49 PM by SlapShot »
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline Shamus

  • Gold Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 3547
post if yu are 50 or older
« Reply #88 on: November 15, 2007, 12:26:03 PM »
Quote
Originally posted by SlapShot
Didn't have a crank phone, but phone numbers were assigned to "regions"

The town I grew up in was Watertown, CT. It's telephone region was "CRestwood" so all number began with 27 (CR).

The next town over, Thomaston, was "ATwood" so all numbers began with 28 (AT).

So if someone asked you what your phone number was you would say ... "Crestwood 4-5555".

Also, if you were in the "Crestwood" region and wanted to dial another number in the "Crestwood" region you only had to dial 4-xxxx.

Most of us withing this age spread could probably relate to this ...

During the summer, I would get up and out the door at 7 am in the morning. Take off on my bike with my buds, and not have to be home until 5 pm. During that time, my mom never knew where I was and it was never a concern. Can't do that nowadays.

You just had to make sure that your arse was in the dinner chair for 5 pm tho ... else all hell broke loose ... go figure.


Mine was PRescot, and we had a party line:)

shamus
one of the cats

FSO Jagdgeschwader 11

Offline DAVENRINO

  • Silver Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 1084
post if yu are 50 or older
« Reply #89 on: November 15, 2007, 12:39:50 PM »
LOL,
I remember having a party line and waiting a couple years after color tv came out to get one because there weren't many color shows available.  Now I have 3 HDTV's with surround sound.:)
DAVE aka DJ229-AIR MAFIA
CH USB HOTAS/ONKYO 705 7.2 SURROUND SOUND/ 60" SONY A3000 SXRD  TV