Author Topic: Few More ?'s  (Read 919 times)

Offline goober69

• Nickel Member
Few More ?'s
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2007, 01:48:34 PM »
speaking of gunning in bombers mtnman i do exactly that when they go for the side planes i switch to the one they are on.
also i have tracers turned off and only fire the singe gun until i start getting hits kind of lures them into my killing zone thinking i havent seen them
most of the time if  i have alt and they try to come to me i have nothing to fear and i land most of my bomber sorties no problem.
course i climb to 15-20k before even getting near enme activity takes a long time but i like to land. i fly lancs and b26
flying as Marvin57
"we few we happy few,
  we band of brothers;"
W.S  Henery V

Offline Solar10

• Silver Member
Few More ?'s
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2007, 04:07:06 PM »
I've killed a pnzr with an M16.  I tracked him and then hid behind a hedge so he could not shoot me.  I just kept on hitting the piece of his tracks that were sticking out.

Granted though he may just have given up and towered.
~Hells Angels~
Solar10

Offline splitatom

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
Few More ?'s
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2007, 05:02:04 PM »
i just set convergance out to 600 or 650 it works
snowey flying since tour 78

Offline mtnman

• Gold Member
Few More ?'s
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2007, 11:39:21 AM »
Originally posted by splitatom
i just set convergance out to 600 or 650 it works

Sure it works.  So does walking as a means of transportation to almost any place on your continent.  So does carrying all your belongings on your back, or even living in a brush shelter.

The question wasn't about just "getting by"  but more with how to do things efficiently. When the wheel was invented, people had been dragging their belongings around on their backs or on sticks.  Those methods worked.  The wheel works better in most applications though.

You can kill planes with your convergence set all the way out, or all the way in for that matter.  But there are much better ways to do things, which will have the tendancy to improve your effectiveness (make you more efficient).

Having your convergence set correctly (or at least in a proven strategic "range"), and getting into that range for your shots will generally allow you to place more bullets on target (using less ammo), and allow you to kill quicker.  This in turn leads to surviving more fights, and makes you less likely to be in a bad position when the next bad guy comes along.

Surviving fights, having more ammo left over, and more fuel as a result of spending less time getting those kills, will lead to the opportunity to make more kills, land more sorties, etc...

Not that I really care about your score, but I checked it (fighter) to see how well things were working for you.  Not bad, for sure.  But it looks like your hit% could improve, as well as your kills per time.  Improving those would probably drag your K/D up as well as your K/S.  And you'll get more points for hitting things too.

Maybe you don't care about your score.  This discussion isn't about whether we care about it or not.  I'm just pointing out what would likely improve if you improved your settings, and fired from an effective range.

Shooting effectively isn't the total answer, but it's definately a piece of the puzzle.

MtnMan
MtnMan

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not". Thomas Jefferson

Offline goober69

• Nickel Member
Few More ?'s
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2007, 07:00:31 AM »
on convergence i have all the planes set to converge 350 at a point
with these eceptions
four cannon planes i set the inner guns 50 feet ahead of the outer guns which are set at 300 i only fire one bank at a time unless im on bombers or town buildings. saves ammo cause most of the planes like typh kill easy with just two or three rounds hitting the right spot.
p47's i set four guns at 350 and 2 at 325 and 2 at300 outside in so the lines are not parallel they cross gives good performance when planes are inside my 350 guns i only fire the first bank until the counter says 200, saves ammo (though i dont know why i do this the p47 has so much lol)

if i intend to attack bombers i set four guns at 400 and four at 375 for stand off this is the only plane where i change my convergance for mission

works for me but im still learing as i get better and am able to get in closer i may change em all to 300 and stick with it
but six months ago they were all set at 400

a lot of the big change in my gunnery is that i am waiting for better shots and realy trying to pick the right spots to take them.

and though im missing less often than i was i find a lot of times on my inital shot ill take off an alieron or elevator which makes an easier kill even if i dont kill outright i do do some damage.
always open for sugestions though should some of you have any
« Last Edit: November 16, 2007, 07:08:59 AM by goober69 »
flying as Marvin57
"we few we happy few,
  we band of brothers;"
W.S  Henery V

Offline DamnedRen

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Few More ?'s
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2007, 12:30:45 PM »
I agree with mtnman on convergence. When I see the sprites hitting the guy and I'm at my firing distance I know the guy is getting some forced air, air conditioning. I know he needs it since he's sweating so much with my being on his 6. :) I generally shoot the guy at 200 yds so that's where my convergence is set. If you can close to 200 yds and  have convergence set to 600 yds you are going to shoot over the guys canopy.

Think of convergence as to how close you can get for the shot. If your average closing distance is 400 yds set convergence there. If it IS at 400 yds then a personal goal might be to work at getting your average closing distance to be 350 then 300. As you learn to get closer for the shot then adjust the convergence again for your new average.

Hope this helps.