Author Topic: Content editor bugs  (Read 1217 times)

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
Content editor bugs
« on: November 14, 2007, 04:41:00 AM »
I figured it would be a good idea to collate all the known bugs for the AH terrain, object and weather editors into one thread. While this might be more on topic in the bugs forum it is more likely to get read by those who would find it useful in the terrain forum.

Here's a few I've discovered by experience, searching, or by help received from NHawk and others in this forum. Please add any more you can think of.

A manned 37mm placed onto a terrain using the bas0 shape in the TE will not work properly. Although it can be destroyed like any other AA in the game, it does not APPEAR to be destroyed. You still see an intact 37mm in the game, even though it is actually knocked out.

River deltas are not visible in the game or the TE. There is a fix available at Mr Midi's Place but using this would count as a custom object which is not allowed for an MA terrain.

The base texture for the shore battery hill is terr0006 in the TE, but is terr0106 in the game.

Saving your terrain in the TE can sometimes cause field and strat icons to rearrange themselves on the map. You have to right click them off and on again so they appear in their correct locations.

A map generated by the TE can have beaches applied to the coastlines that appear one square out of alignment. Sometimes the beaches are not generated at all.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2007, 04:51:33 AM by Greebo »

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
Re: Content editor bugs
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2007, 10:11:24 AM »
Originally posted by Greebo
...Saving your terrain in the TE can sometimes cause field and strat icons to rearrange themselves on the map. You have to right click them off and on again so they appear in their correct locations...

Typically it's easier to exit and re-enter the TE after saving. It loads the terrain with the objects such as spawns and map rooms in their proper location.

It definitely saves some time.
Get your Daily Dose of Flame!
FlameThink.com
No. 603 Squadron... Visit us on the web, if you dare.

Drug addicts are always disappointed after eating Pot Pies.

Offline Xjazz

• Gold Member
Content editor bugs
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2007, 01:55:39 PM »
OE at least since 2005

Almost all exported objects have doubled vertices's & faces.

Some exported objects have incorrect hierarchy tree structure and some have    incorrect texturing data.

Examples:
bah0.ac: hidden objects & groups in hierarchy tree. You can't see these with AC3D...
dbrief.ac: kidless groups  in hierarchy tree.
hqt0.ac: incorrect texturing data. Plus many hidden objects & groups in hierarchy tree.

The TE's 'Save As...' function still don't work.

Offline croduh

• Gold Member
Content editor bugs
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2007, 02:47:27 AM »
OE

-Rotating clutter objects on a terrain tile will cause the objects to be sliced even if they are not on grid lines, making the .shp file size huge and building time long.

Hell i can't think of 2 bugs when i need to, but i deal dozens of them every day.

Offline croduh

• Gold Member
Content editor bugs
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2007, 05:43:17 AM »
-Custom tiles placed on water tiles will show clutter way before the normal clutter, like their maxdist is set to a big number.This causes many fps problems.

-Time moves by itself in TE;)

Offline croduh

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2008, 09:44:39 AM »
Bump thread, hope skuzzy or someone else at HTC reads this thread before updating CEs, if they plan to update them soon, would be nice after new version :)

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2008, 01:36:28 PM »
The Find routine:

When using the find command after a long session, the TE hangs and objects can't be selected by dragging the mouse over them until cleared by using a tab other then the Objects tab. When this occurs, clicking the different tabs has no effect other then to highlight the tab but it doesn't change the Object tools part of the window. By cycling through the tabs and clicking the terrain in the editing window, you eventually see the Terrain tab's vertice selection crosses. Then you can reselect the Objects tab and things work normally again. This was while Finding the offmap F16GMS000, now F17GMS000 object in the new avasml.
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline croduh

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2008, 12:03:01 PM »
Another one of those that really border the "twillight zone"

-Corruption of another .til file when editing another one?I was editing some terrain tiles, and i wanted to take a look at an older .til file i made, boy was i surprised, half of the objects i placed on it were gone!Before that the .til was about 250 kB big, after only 23 kB.I had this happen to me a year or two before, but i just thought that i accidentally edited the other file in tiles folder so didn't pay much attention to it.
In both cases i had pretty much over 2000 objects on tiles, so might be something with that.What is even weirder only one file seems to be changed.I hope my back-up dvds (which i make every month for my htc folder, it's seems to be a must ;)) will have good file on them.

Hope someone can read this gibberish i just wrote.

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2008, 01:49:54 PM »
Usually, the file is still there, it's that the OE won't load all of it, or crashes when it tries. I've worked around this by breaking up the file in a text editor, and after I load and save the first 10k, I add the next group of lines to the .til file and load it again. I rinse and repeat until the OE sees all the lines again. I'm suspicious that the OE tracks how much memory it needs to allocate, which would be strange, but that number doesn't stay with the .til file. This is especially a problem after a reformat, and it makes exchanging and using large .til files a problem.
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline croduh

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2008, 02:36:25 PM »
Thank god i had a working version around.

Problem is, OE can't read the missing lines in .til files because they are not there, file size is lowered and i edit a lot in wordwrap and i can notice when there are 10 pages of lines missing in it :)
And the strangest part is, i mean "really" strange, is how the file i haven't opened or edited in 5 months got changed.