Author Topic: What is a Militia?  (Read 18043 times)

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
What is a Militia?
« Reply #120 on: November 24, 2007, 03:35:44 PM »
Originally posted by Arlo
All governments? I'm not seeing an understanding (historically nor contemporary) of the U.S. system of government in the above quote. :cool:

Arlo,

When governments on this planet enforce their tax collection code's upon their citizens who willfully choose not to pay, who does these governments send to enforce the tax law?

1. A troop of girl scouts begging you to pay your fair shair for the common good.

2. Men with guns to kill you if you resist being arrested and all of your worldly goods and monies confiscated.

All governments on this planet exist ultimatly by the threat of force as thier final solution to controling the actions of thier citizens\subjects\slaves. Try not paying your taxes for the next 3 years. Then keep us updated on how you avoid direct cohercion by the presence of armed agents of the government.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
What is a Militia?
« Reply #121 on: November 24, 2007, 03:38:32 PM »
Originally posted by AKIron
Because Rush or whatever local talk radio host hasn't rallied support for the cause.

Seriously though, talk radio reaction is exactly what got the attention of the senate recently, humbling them before the will of The People.

Really?

Offline Tigeress

• Silver Member
What is a Militia?
« Reply #122 on: November 24, 2007, 03:39:51 PM »
I'm sure it was merely an oversight on the part of the framers of the constitution. ;)

Dang short-sighted of those farmers... uhhh.... framers. :rofl

The Revolutionary War happened 120 years too soon! :aok

TIGERESS

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
What is a Militia?
« Reply #123 on: November 24, 2007, 03:40:27 PM »
Really?

Sure, just ask Nancy Pelosi.

http://thinkprogress.org/2007/06/28/pelosi-talk-radio/
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
What is a Militia?
« Reply #124 on: November 24, 2007, 03:41:36 PM »
Originally posted by bustr
Arlo,

When governments on this planet enforce their tax collection code's upon their citizens who willfully choose not to pay, who does these governments send to enforce the tax law?

1. A troop of girl scouts begging you to pay your fair shair for the common good.

2. Men with guns to kill you if you resist being arrested and all of your worldly goods and monies confiscated.

All governments on this planet exist ultimatly by the threat of force as thier final solution to controling the actions of thier citizens\subjects\slaves. Try not paying your taxes for the next 3 years. Then keep us updated on how you avoid direct cohercion by the presence of armed agents of the government.

I suggest reading up on our representative democracy. If you're attempting to equate prosecution and enforcement of law as legislated by duly elected representatives .... with oppressive government .... you're skipping a hell of a lot of dots. ;)
« Last Edit: November 24, 2007, 03:43:48 PM by Arlo »

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
What is a Militia?
« Reply #125 on: November 24, 2007, 03:43:18 PM »
Originally posted by AKIron
Sure, just ask Nancy Pelosi.

http://thinkprogress.org/2007/06/28/pelosi-talk-radio/

And you think it a likely scenario regarding drivers licenses and registration of automobiles?

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
What is a Militia?
« Reply #126 on: November 24, 2007, 03:46:57 PM »
And you think it a likely scenario regarding drivers licenses and registration of automobiles?

Only when illegal immigrant numbers grow beyond... say.. 30% of our population and are allowed to drive without licenses and insurance.

Offline john9001

• Plutonium Member
What is a Militia?
« Reply #127 on: November 24, 2007, 03:52:52 PM »
licenses? we don need no steekn licenses.

Offline Tigeress

• Silver Member
What is a Militia?
« Reply #128 on: November 24, 2007, 03:53:32 PM »
Originally posted by john9001
licenses? we don need no steekn licenses.

:rofl :rofl :rofl

I thought Cheech said, "Badges" but no... after a lengthy Federal investigation the following was discovered:

In the 1987 film Born in East L.A., Cheech Marin says "I don't need no stinkin' green card."

And he was right... he didn't.

You can stay, Cheech dear! :aok

TIGERESS
« Last Edit: November 24, 2007, 04:04:10 PM by Tigeress »

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
What is a Militia?
« Reply #129 on: November 24, 2007, 03:54:30 PM »
:rofl

Offline Hap

• Gold Member
What is a Militia?
« Reply #130 on: November 24, 2007, 04:07:00 PM »
Originally posted by lazs2
By asking if more bad guys than good have been killed... what do you mean by "bad guys"?  Would that include people with criminal records?  say... fellow gang members?  would that include the man who has beaten his girlfriend or wife for what is now the last time?

Would that include suicides?   not bad or good and nothing to do with guns anyway.

I would say more bad guys than good died but even more...  I would say that with firearms being used from 1.5-3 million times a year to prevent crime.. to stop it... if even 1% of those would have been a killing of an innocent... then... you would have to factor into the equation the amount of lives saved.

The people who have made bad guys run off but were sure they would have been killed had they not had a firearm.   The bad guys wounded.. the bad guys just running off or being held till the police showed up.

My sense of it is more bad 'uns have been done in.  Jillions more in comparison.

The reason I asked is that some number = the number of gun deaths each year.  Who's getting killed? might be the next question.  I've not the answer.  Not trolling.  Just seems like a good question to ask.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
What is a Militia?
« Reply #131 on: November 24, 2007, 04:19:29 PM »
I suggest reading up on our representative democracy. If you're attempting to equate prosecution and enforcement of law as legislated by duly elected representatives .... with oppressive government .... you're skipping a hell of a lot of dots. ;)

Arlo,

You are playing verbal games for the sake of playing the games.

If a government cannot enforce laws ultimatly by being able to kill you or incarcerate you for non-compliance as an incentive against others walking that path, then that government cannot exist. No matter which government on this planet and how virtuous and wonderful, it's fundimental power for existence is by men with whepons to enforce its policies\laws.

The problem with any government is in the weakness of the human condition to the intoxication of power. Representative democracy is only as moral and just as the human beings controling and participating as citizens of it. As standards of morality ease so will abuse of power increase. What then is the bedrock foundation for the maintenance of power?

George Washington was the beloved hero of our nation after defeating the British. Then he had to send men with whepons against those same adoring people(We the People) to enforce a tax code on Whiskey. 5000 men with guns. We the People challenged the government of the United States over being taxed on the personal distilling of Whiskey. The government decided it needed our monies to survive. It sent armed men to collect. We the People did not agree to the tax at that time. As is done today, congress acted in it's own best intrests backed by the cohercive  threat of "force of arms".
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Hornet33

• Gold Member
What is a Militia?
« Reply #132 on: November 24, 2007, 04:20:05 PM »
Nor is that the goal of defining the 2nd amendment. Quite plainly (imo, I suppose, though I'd wager not just I). Any form of gun control being the first step toward gun elimination has always been an exaggerated argument.

To borrow a favorite correlation from anti-gun control groups: Why aren't people up in arms over requiring licensing and registration on automobiles? Why aren't people insisting no limits to what is and isn't street legal?

;)

Because owning and driving a car is not a right under the consitution. Owning a gun is. THAT is the differance.

The anti gun crowd just has no concept of what they are talking about. What did the assult weapons ban accomplish?? Not a damn thing. OHHHHH it's now illegal to purchase any weapon that has 3 out of these 4 componets on it, bayonet lug, pistol grip, flash suppresor, or a telescoping stock. So even efater the ban went into effect I could by an AR-15/M-16 style weapon with NO flash suppresor, NO telescoping stock, and NO bayonet lug and it will STILL shoot the same ammo, and be able to kill just the same as a weapon with those items, but by God the anti gun crowd thought it was a great idea because a weapon with those items on it LOOKS scarry.

That's the mentality of the anti gun crowd. They don't know or understand the first thing about the weapons they want to get rid of, all they know is they don't like them. Don't ask them why because they couldn't tell you anything other than, "guns kill people" and that should be enough for anyone to understand.

My point of view is this. If you want me to give up MY weapons than you had better have as much if not more knowledge about my weapons than I do, and you better be able to convince me with actual FACTS to back up your argument. Thing is that will NEVER happen so I will NEVER give up my guns.

The day my government says I can no longer own my guns is the day my government no longer serves me. At that point I will be an outlaw and I will fight for my God given rights.
AHII Con 2006, HiTech, "This game is all about pissing off the other guy!!"

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
What is a Militia?
« Reply #133 on: November 24, 2007, 04:29:02 PM »
Originally posted by Hornet33
Because owning and driving a car is not a right under the consitution. Owning a gun is. THAT is the differance.

Poor argument. Automobiles didn't exist. And you're still projecting extremist rhetoric when you rely on phrases such as "anti-gun crowd." I'm not "anti-gun." Gun control has existed since before you were born, involving special licensing and registration for certain types of guns. And I've yet to hear of a single case of legal weapons being confiscated unless they were used to commit a crime. So, while you're demanding "actual facts" to back up my argument try understanding it first and using some better ones to support your own. And relaxing your knees a bit.

:D

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
What is a Militia?
« Reply #134 on: November 24, 2007, 04:31:55 PM »
Originally posted by bustr
Arlo,

You are playing verbal games for the sake of playing the games.

Funny, I was thinking the same of you. Like I said, your dot-connecting leaves a lot to be desired, even with the faux-patriotism added for flavor.

:D