Author Topic: P-51b  (Read 442 times)

Offline Nimrod45

• Copper Member
P-51b
« on: November 20, 2007, 01:49:50 PM »
I am getting out of Spits and Las, so far I really like the P-51B, but am looking for some advice on using flaps in it, I got my butt handed to me by another fella in the 51B, I had more E than him but he was pullin manuevers I couldn't hang with.  Are there any trainers that are good in the 51B, and how do you get ahold of one, every time I get on the TA I can't find any one.

Offline Balsy

• Nickel Member
P-51b
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2007, 01:59:36 PM »
dont forget the 51 has 1 click of maneuver flaps that you can deploy at high speed

Offline WMLute

• Platinum Member
P-51b
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2007, 02:12:09 PM »
Originally posted by Balsy
dont forget the 51 has 1 click of maneuver flaps that you can deploy at high speed

But don't leave them down, just drop 'em for the turn, and pop 'em back up as fast as possible.
"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."
— George Patton

Absurdum est ut alios regat, qui seipsum regere nescit

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
P-51b
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2007, 02:17:36 PM »
The Pony B isn't the best accelerator in the game. I don't fly it much, but from what I've learned when I do fly it is always ALWAYS keep its speed up. If you get it sloiw it'll be a while until you get your speed back up.

Offline Spatula

• Silver Member
P-51b
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2007, 03:51:59 PM »
The 51b is in its element up above 14k. Below that, the 51d is the better performer. I prefer the D in almost all cases due to the better firepower and better low-alt performance.
Flaps usage is a tricky one. Basically, I don't use em until i have to. If your flying the 51 to its strengths, eg keeping it fast, then using flaps wont increase your turn rate very much, they add drag which can be useful at times, but it will slow you faster. The pony isn't too good at winning slow-speed turn contests. Keep it near its best corner velocity (270-300 ish) and you can turn with most aircraft in the game if you're smart about how you turn.
If you're over 300 then flaps will give you no advantage, IMO, as you will still be able to pull max Gs without them. Between 270-290ish a notch of flaps can help you maintain max Gs. Get too far under that, and you're really committed to fight and due to the slow acceleration qualities, you may not be able to escape if things go wrong. In this situation i get 2, 3 or even sometimes 4 notches out at my slowest points. But remember if you don't need em or want to accelerate at your best rate, get them up!! Bring em up as you go into the nose-low phases of the fight etc. When you're clean, you accelerate (build E) faster - which is critical. Its a matter of deciding which is best (accelerating, or turning tighter) at any given moment. You should really be aiming to kill by way of snap-shot (rolling scissors, overshoots etc), not trying to turn harder to get into a dead-six position. Six position is good, but don't waste all your E trying to muscle your way there.

But remember the pony's strengths are in its excellent high-speed performance and good instantaneous turn rate, not in a slow-speed stall fight! Flaps wont turn your pony into a spit, so don't expect them to. Get em out if you need em at a specific point in time for a specific reason, but get em back in pronto when you don't really need em.

What times are you normally online? I'd be happy to help, the P51 is my main ride of choice. But i fly weird hours.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2007, 04:59:18 PM by Spatula »
Airborne Kitchen Utensil Assault Group

Offline Nimrod45

• Copper Member
P-51b
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2007, 07:28:22 PM »
I live in Alaska, so when it is 9:00pm here it is 1:00am on the east coast.  I am usually on about 9:00pm cause that is when my kids are asleep, I also work a two week on two week off schedual, which means that for two weeks at a time I can't play at all, right now I have a week left.  If you want to help out that would be great just let me know, I can get on at different times than I normaly do as well.

Offline goober69

• Nickel Member
P-51b
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2007, 10:18:05 AM »
i flew the 51d regularly until about a month ago now im in p47 and f4us
i find the flaps really help if im in a 1v1 fight and i get on the guys six and were in the 250-300 range if he tries to turn hard ill drop one notch to get inside his turn and take my shot if i miss im usualy overhooting at this point and i go up to preserve my advantage as he probably belw more speed than i did in his turn (hopefuly) its a good ride but trikcky to get down im still not perfect lol also if you hapen to get a 190 on your tail at good speed flaps can make you turn way better than them and if you can afford to get them slow i.e. (1v1 no one else around or within range to get to you
) youll out turn them at low speed i belive.
flying as Marvin57
"we few we happy few,
  we band of brothers;"
W.S  Henery V