Author Topic: Radical Changes on CV 5" Guns Needed  (Read 3436 times)

Offline rabbidrabbit

• Gold Member
Radical Changes on CV 5" Guns Needed
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2007, 12:25:29 PM »
In my experience there are plenty of low ranked individuals that don't really deserve that rank.  Why would you want to reward someone for gaming the system?  Can you imagine the whining?

Offline FTDEEP

• Copper Member
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2007, 05:18:10 PM »
whats next ..booting me out of my own plane 'cause i have a better shot but you have better rank...?
you can't learn the piano by watching some one play it.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
Re: Re: Radical Changes on CV 5" Guns Needed
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2007, 06:24:50 PM »
Originally posted by Widewing
I don't care for this, and here's why...

How is a new player going to develop the gunning skills required if a higher ranking player kicks them out every time enemy aircraft show up?

Everyone is entitled to the same opportunities to play.

My only complaint about how CVs are managed is that no one should be able to control a CV unless they are physically within the radar circle or aboard one of the ships in the formation, as a minimum. This would prevent anyone from redirecting a CV why they are sitting in a tower on the opposite side of the map.

In fact, I'd like to see more reality in that to command a CV, you must be aboard the CV or the Cruiser. Not flying, and not running LVTs. A simple way to do that is if you have command (in the Task Group command menu on the clipboard), spawning any plane or vehicle is disabled. If no one commands the CV (in the menu), then you can redirect the CV if within the radar circle, but not take command (so that your name appears in the command menu).

My regards,

Widewing

:aok
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline ded

• Copper Member
Re: Radical Changes on CV 5" Guns Needed
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2007, 08:25:32 PM »
Originally posted by 68ROX
words

68ROX

This is the kind of elitist crap that should not be here.  What happened to the old days of training the new guys how to do things instead of saying "GET OUT OF MY SPOT/GUN/CLASS/PLANE NOOB!!!"  

Help and support the new guys, they will be your future prey soon enough.  You do want a good fight, right?

Offline B@tfinkV

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2007, 08:56:07 PM »
hi ROX

despite your views being mostly poo-pooed here, for good reasons, i would suggest the real problem is something else.

Now it is my understanding that using the 5" guns is about as challenging as smoking a cig or drinking a beer. usualy when i gun on a CV i am smoking a cig and drinking a beer :)  even a totaly new player could hit a few buffs after 10 mins practice.

The real problem is the UK daytime milk runners. people using second accounts to lock up CV possitions and waypoints so they can WIN TEH WAR!

anyone who does this is beyond pathetic, imo.

saying that, i dont let it bother me one bit. just laugh and smile, like Dadrabit said :)

S!
 400 yrds on my tail, right where i want you... [/size]

Offline ROC

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2007, 10:31:19 PM »
How good would any "vet" be if at some point the game was modified so only the experienced players got to use the kewl stuff.

Let the new guys play for crying out loud.  Like only a select few manning the guns are really going to make a difference in the "war"
ROC
Nothing clever here.  Please, move along.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2007, 11:53:16 PM »
My only complaint about how CVs are managed is that no one should be able to control a CV unless they are physically within the radar circle or aboard one of the ships in the formation, as a minimum. This would prevent anyone from redirecting a CV why they are sitting in a tower on the opposite side of the map.

In fact, I'd like to see more reality in that to command a CV, you must be aboard the CV or the Cruiser...  

Yes Glad to see someone else agrees and here it is Widewing! Cool!
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2007, 12:15:22 AM »
Originally posted by Condor
Is there instruction somewhere on how to properly use the 5 inch guns?  And please don't respond with "search is your friend"  or "try the trainers page".  

Unfortunately, there is no resource that can teach you how to lead targets with a 5" gun. I always recommend going offline and practice shooting at the drones with a 5" gun, until you can hit them consistently.

Basically, you need to adjust for two factors: Angle and elevation. You need to learn how much drop there is at varying ranges. Likewise, you need to learn how much lead is required at varying ranges. Both are learned by doing. Thus, like just about every other aspect of the game, you learn via experience.

My regards,

Widewing

I've found a little time offline, with the Lead Computing Gunsight enabled, can get you in the ballpark and help learn what lead you need to hit targets with the 5' gun.
Further, a friend in the TA at higher altitudes or even in bomber formations, again using the LCG, can further refine your gunnery skills in a 5" gun.
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline sunfan1121

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2007, 12:42:51 AM »
Never would work... noobs need luv too
A drunk driver will run a stop sign. A stoned driver will stop until it turns green.

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2007, 03:38:04 AM »
disable ai puffy ack and make all 5" guns on all ships in the fleet manable. everybody wins.

p.s. death2puffyflakcoad
Fester was my in game name until September 2013

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2007, 05:21:46 AM »
Bad idea.

The "more experienced" players are the same tards who hide the CVs rather than engage them in action.

As for the guns, first come, first serve.  Get over yourself.

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2007, 08:39:21 AM »
I am always amazed at how serious some people take this game.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2007, 11:01:13 AM »
I dont like privilage by rank....

if you want to make the 5" guns precious then perk them..........

I like the idea of CV captains having to remain in dar range to keep their captaincy.
Ludere Vincere

Offline kennyhayes

• Nickel Member
« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2007, 11:59:24 AM »
i think they should not be manable at all unless they are singles
;)

Offline Hap

• Gold Member
« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2007, 12:26:55 PM »
IA simple way to do that is if you have command (in the Task Group command menu on the clipboard), spawning any plane or vehicle is disabled. If no one commands the CV (in the menu), then you can redirect the CV if within the radar circle, but not take command (so that your name appears in the command menu)

Puts the kibosh on taking a BN2 to hover above fleet and eyeball action.  Thanks for that idea in your excellent essay on CV ops!