Author Topic: Whats wrong?  (Read 624 times)

Offline 1KAOS

• Parolee
  • Zinc Member
Whats wrong?
« on: December 15, 2007, 02:21:59 PM »
I'am aiming for the engines, canopies,and wings. I watch as enough parts to start a junkyard flies off the enemy and the keep on going like theres no problem. They hit me once. One little ping and my plane is finished. I usually fly a spit or a stang. I don't know what the deal is there. I'am giving the enemy enough bullets to their plane to do the same but I just don't know WTF I need to do to get the same results on the them. Any ideas?

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
Whats wrong?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2007, 03:13:16 PM »
Here is a film of a one shot kll

Here is why it was a one shot kill...

A 20mm in the cockpit.  So for one thing, a shot that kills the pilot will result in an instant victory.

Another issue you're probably experiencing is the lack of depth perception in the game.  What may look like a nice tight shot group from 300 yards away, may not be as concentrated as it appeared.  A number of times, I have gone back and reviewed films where I wondered why didn't that shot do critical damage?  Upon viewing it in slow motion from a different camera angle, it's not uncommon to find that what looked like a nice shot group, were actually spread out across the plane quite a bit.

What is likely happening is that your hits are not concentrated enough on one plane part to do the critical damage.  Small pieces of desbris are modeled to indicate some hits, but that does not always mean you've actually removed a critical component from the target plane.

Pretty much, each area of a plane can absorb X amount of damage before it will fail (eg. outer wing, wing root, aelirons, tail planes, ect.)  The trick is to get enough hits in one area to cause a failure.

The only thing I can say is keep practicing, and approach fights so that you can set up shots that you are good at hitting.  Noting what range you normally shoot at, and adjusting your convergence accordingly may also help.

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
Whats wrong?
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2007, 10:12:10 PM »
Also, what are you flying? What range are you shooting from?

Offline Obie303

• Silver Member
Whats wrong?
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2007, 11:19:49 PM »
Originally posted by Motherland
Also, what are you flying? What range are you shooting from?

Motherland hit the money question.  What you fly dictates how you fight.  When I started out, I has most of my convergences set at 400 yds for wing mounted guns and 650 yds for nose and cowl mounted guns.  I would land one kill and 4 or 5 assists.  Sound familiar Kaos?

Erich Hartmann, the highest scoring ace of WWII (352 kills) was quoted to the effects of "When you think your too close, get in closer."  and "Hold your fire till the enemy fills your windscreen."  I'm not positive of the exact quotes, but you get the drift.

Now I fly with my convergences set no higher than 400 yds.  For most of the Spits with the .303 and 20mm, 200-275 yds.  Hurricane IIC; 20mm, 275 yds.  The 109s; 7.9mm, 13mm, and 20mm 400 yds.  The tater gun (30mm) 200 yds.  US planes with 6 50cals, 300 yds and the 8 50cals, 400 yds.  

Those are just a few of my settings and I still mess around with them from time to time.  Other players will offer advice of longer and shorter ranges.  The key is practice and find out what settings work best for you.:aok

Good luck.
Obie
I have fought a good fight,
I have finished my course,
I have kept the faith.
(quote on a Polish pilot's grave marker in Nottinghamshire, England)

71 (Eagle) Squadron

Offline Fianna

• Nickel Member
Whats wrong?
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2007, 12:18:22 AM »
Originally posted by Obie303
Motherland hit the money question.  What you fly dictates how you fight.  When I started out, I has most of my convergences set at 400 yds for wing mounted guns and 650 yds for nose and cowl mounted guns.  I would land one kill and 4 or 5 assists.  Sound familiar Kaos?

Erich Hartmann, the highest scoring ace of WWII (352 kills) was quoted to the effects of "When you think your too close, get in closer."  and "Hold your fire till the enemy fills your windscreen."  I'm not positive of the exact quotes, but you get the drift.

Now I fly with my convergences set no higher than 400 yds.  For most of the Spits with the .303 and 20mm, 200-275 yds.  Hurricane IIC; 20mm, 275 yds.  The 109s; 7.9mm, 13mm, and 20mm 400 yds.  The tater gun (30mm) 200 yds.  US planes with 6 50cals, 300 yds and the 8 50cals, 400 yds.  

Those are just a few of my settings and I still mess around with them from time to time.  Other players will offer advice of longer and shorter ranges.  The key is practice and find out what settings work best for you.:aok

Good luck.
Obie

I went through the same thing. When I started out, I had every gun in my 38 set to 650, and I would constantly take shots and gets as far away as 1000 yards out, but I rarely killed anyone this way.

Before I stopped playing, I wasn't taking shots at someone unless they were under 200 yards away. At that distance, the gun package on the 38 (and pretty much every plane) is like a buzzsaw.

I'd conserve ammo since I wasn't spraying from 1000 out. I'd land more kills because I had more ammo to use (so much extra ammo, in fact, that I started taking the lighter ammo loadout in the hangar).

Offline goober69

• Nickel Member
Whats wrong?
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2007, 07:02:04 AM »
yea i find the higher load out makes me want to stay in longer than i should in the 38.
i use the lighter load and i set my controls up to where i wont fire the cannon unless i change my settings so i use just .50s for ranging and shots outside of 300 and in close i add the cannon saves ammo.
flying as Marvin57
"we few we happy few,
  we band of brothers;"
W.S  Henery V

Offline 1KAOS

• Parolee
  • Zinc Member
Whats wrong?
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2007, 07:33:06 PM »
Usually in a spit or a p-51. Not the runaway kind. I have my guns set to 400 unless they are cannons. Cannons I set to closer to around 250-300.
I use the smallest gunsights to keep tighter groups as well. Tends to be a bit more accurate. I use the p-51 as an e fighter. Ill get some alt and use the stored e to fight and if I cant get a kill i'll climb abd gain a bit of E. Ill go back and forth til dead or low on consumables. The spit i use as the turn fighting try and keep it in the verticle but kill as much as I can kind of plane.
Just sucks when you follow someone and tear things off of them for a while and they keep going like you aren't there. Then someone sneezes and down you go. I guess I still have alot ot learn. Still hate the collision model but what can we do?

Offline splitatom

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
Whats wrong?
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2007, 08:53:39 PM »
i always set mine out at 600 or 650 that is what distance that i normaly shoot at these distances it has always worked for me
snowey flying since tour 78

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
Whats wrong?
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2007, 09:23:37 PM »
I would suggest posting a film of what you're describing.  Maybe someone could then take a look and help explain what's going on.
80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.

Offline Scotch

• Gold Member
Whats wrong?
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2007, 09:23:55 PM »
re:splitatom

I think if you work on getting in closer you will be more rewarded....
« Last Edit: December 16, 2007, 09:27:31 PM by Scotch »
-AoM-