Author Topic: Arena numbers  (Read 1901 times)

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
Arena numbers
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2007, 09:57:13 AM »
Originally posted by Rebel
Well THAT explains a lot.  

Why the hell would you set a static cap so high for an arena who's population has a hard time going over 100?  

Titanic Tuesday tonight.  Can't wait! :D

So If I set the static cap was lower would it change anything? Same amount of people would play there. Other arenas would still have the caps the same.

I really am having a hard time understanding why you are complaining about static arena caps in an Arena you do not wish to play in.

HiTech

Offline kilz

• Gold Member
Arena numbers
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2007, 10:12:14 AM »
here is what we do. there is always a way around the caps. i normally have 5-9 squadies on. we all go into the Blue Arena and jump the numbers up there. then we all exit at the same time giving LWO arena a higher cap for the moment and we all get in at the same time.

we had to do this on our squad night a few times. you throw 20 people in LWB and the cap on LWO sky rokets then you all log out of LWB at one time you will be able to get into the LWO.

If your squad is as big as you say it is this will work for you as well. :aok

sorry hitech but i think the maps in blue sux so we do this to have fun.
Former LTARkilz

R.I.P 68KO, TailSpin, Maj1Shot, Prop31st, SWfire, rodders, Vega, easy8, 11Bravo, AWMac, GMC31st, Stoliman, WWhiskey

Offline 2fly

• Copper Member
Arena numbers
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2007, 10:18:02 AM »
Just keep logging in and out and you will get into the arena you want. The logest it ever took me to get into my arena of choice was 5 miniutes.  And usually even on bad nights 5-6 loggin attempts will get it.

Offline Rebel

• Nickel Member
Arena numbers
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2007, 10:31:32 AM »
Originally posted by hitech
So If I set the static cap was lower would it change anything? Same amount of people would play there. Other arenas would still have the caps the same.

I really am having a hard time understanding why you are complaining about static arena caps in an Arena you do not wish to play in.

HiTech

I see your point, Dale, but I was thinking if the static cap was at 350, with only 60 people in it, meanwhile the arena some friends are in is overflowing at 200 (to the tune of 40-50+ over).... well that just seems wrong.  

It's not about the static cap being higher then the dynamic cap of the LW arena- it's about the LW arena cap being significantly lower then an arena that has (normally) less then half the amount of traffic.

I don't know how your load management software works, so I'm not going to presume to tell you how to do your job.

I will say, however, that when someone sees an arena with siginificantly less traffic having a higher maximum player count  while they can't get into the arena they want...well....that's just gonna give off the wrong impression.  

What's the purpose of the dynamic cap?  To spread the load across the farm equally?  Or is it simply a gameplay decision and not in any way hardware related?

One final question- when you do Titanic Tuesdays, is it one server with a huge cap, or something else?
"You rebel scum"

Offline ghi

• Gold Member
Arena numbers
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2007, 10:40:03 AM »
Originally posted by Wingnutt
its dumb, it only annoys people, it doesent work as intended ( can only imagine what the intention was)

you can go a day or 2 without seeing a new arena cap related gripe thread started   CLEVER AS IT MAY HAVE LOOKED ON PAPER, THE CURRENT SYSTEM DOES NOT WORK UNLESS ITS GOAL IS TO CONSISTENTLY DENY PAYING USERS WHAT THEY WANT AND OR TO PISS THEM OFF, IN THAT CASE IT IS A ROARING SUCCESS

there, I feel better now

is pretty much a denial of paid service imo.

i agree with you 100%, i 'm still paying but didn't play for 3 months for this reason, i still hope for a change ; great entertaining game but mutilated by arena caps
« Last Edit: December 18, 2007, 10:45:45 AM by ghi »

Offline doc1kelley

• Silver Member
Arena numbers
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2007, 10:47:22 AM »
Originally posted by kilz
here is what we do. there is always a way around the caps. i normally have 5-9 squadies on. we all go into the Blue Arena and jump the numbers up there. then we all exit at the same time giving LWO arena a higher cap for the moment and we all get in at the same time.

we had to do this on our squad night a few times. you throw 20 people in LWB and the cap on LWO sky rokets then you all log out of LWB at one time you will be able to get into the LWO.

If your squad is as big as you say it is this will work for you as well. :aok

sorry hitech but i think the maps in blue sux so we do this to have fun.

I love it Kilz!  Gaming the cap.  Man I gotta admire the solution you guys came up with.  The only thing the fluid cap does is chap my arse.

All the Best...
Jay
awDoc1
awDoc1
The Flying Circus Rocks! We're clowns of a different color!

Beer! helping ugly folks get laid!

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
Arena numbers
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2007, 12:07:37 PM »
Rebel: The arena caps have nothing to do with load management on servers.  

All we do on Tuesdays is change the Title of the Orange Arena.

Big numbers are fun once a week, but community issues start hurting when one big arena became the norm.

So you must begin with the assumption that about 300 to 350 makes the best game play in an arena. If you do not believe that, then never mind on the rest of why the balancer is as it is.

What would happen if I just set both arena caps on the Late Wars at 350?
One arena would fill up like now, and a greater imbalance between arenas would exist.

HiTech

Offline kilz

• Gold Member
Arena numbers
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2007, 12:26:29 PM »
Rebel: What would happen if I just set both arena caps on the Late Wars at 350?
One arena would fill up like now, and a greater imbalance between arenas would exist.

HiTech

that would suck, most nights arena reaches 300-400 players
Former LTARkilz

R.I.P 68KO, TailSpin, Maj1Shot, Prop31st, SWfire, rodders, Vega, easy8, 11Bravo, AWMac, GMC31st, Stoliman, WWhiskey

Offline Rebel

• Nickel Member
Arena numbers
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2007, 12:57:25 PM »
Rebel: The arena caps have nothing to do with load management on servers.  

All we do on Tuesdays is change the Title of the Orange Arena.

Big numbers are fun once a week, but community issues start hurting when one big arena became the norm.

So you must begin with the assumption that about 300 to 350 makes the best game play in an arena. If you do not believe that, then never mind on the rest of why the balancer is as it is.

What would happen if I just set both arena caps on the Late Wars at 350?

HiTech

So it is a gameplay (i.e. community) issue, and you need to keep the population as moderate as possible between 2 late war arenas in order to prevent the community issues that come with an 800+ player arena.  

I'm getting your point now, and you're right- we'd wind up with 350-400 players in 1 arena, and the remaining arena would be a ghost town, because nobody wants to be "the first" in the "other" arena.  

*sigh*  sucks, though.  800+ people in one arena consistently would be pretty farkin' sweet.  

What about just increasing a map size?  Make it absolutley Ginormous, forcing a spread-out of fights.

I guess this is what you call a "Good Problem".  You've got more players then you know what to do with.  Congrats! :aok
"You rebel scum"

Offline kilz

• Gold Member
Arena numbers
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2007, 01:00:09 PM »
Originally posted by Rebel
So it is a gameplay (i.e. community) issue, and you need to keep the population as moderate as possible between 2 late war arenas in order to prevent the community issues that come with an 800+ player arena.  

I'm getting your point now, and you're right- we'd wind up with 350-400 players in 1 arena, and the remaining arena would be a ghost town, because nobody wants to be "the first" in the "other" arena.  

*sigh*  sucks, though.  800+ people in one arena consistently would be pretty farkin' sweet.  

What about just increasing a map size?  Make it absolutley Ginormous, forcing a spread-out of fights.

I guess this is what you call a "Good Problem".  You've got more players then you know what to do with.  Congrats! :aok

I vote Trinity :D
Former LTARkilz

Offline Rebel

• Nickel Member
Arena numbers
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2007, 01:22:01 PM »
Originally posted by kilz
I vote Trinity :D

Yeah!  How long would it take an F4u-4 on WEP take to go 14 light years? hehehe
"You rebel scum"

Offline MajIssue

• Silver Member
      • "False Prophets"
Arena numbers
« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2007, 02:14:37 PM »
Originally posted by 68Wooley
I actually got annoyed with the whole arena cap thing on Friday night for the fisrt time. Blue was consistantly full whilst the Knights had an ENY of ~20 in Orange and clearly the last thing needed was the whole 68th turning up after FSO.

I suppose we could have gone early or mid, but again, 15 or so Lancers all turning up at once would have totally unbalanced the sides.

I know there are a number of options available in this situation but none of them are particularly suitable to squads with more than a couple of members.

The problem on Friday night in Orange was a small number of Bish players -Knights and Rooks were pretty even, so I can only assume there was a huge number of Bish in Blue. Maybe the arena caps should be per-side and set to keep numbers roughly in step.

Probably flogging a dead horse here.

Good point Wolley... I agree that the caps should be a country cap rather than an arena cap. This would balance ENY as well.

My 2 cents
X.O. False Prophets
Altitude is Life
If you keep ignoring "Wife Ack" it will go away.

Offline MajIssue

• Silver Member
      • "False Prophets"
Arena numbers
« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2007, 02:18:03 PM »
Originally posted by Shuffler
Obviously you do not understand what Dynamic Caps are designed to do.

[with a thick German accent] Then perhaps Herr Einstein you vould explain it to uz!:lol
X.O. False Prophets
Altitude is Life
If you keep ignoring "Wife Ack" it will go away.

Offline 68Wooley

• Silver Member
Arena numbers
« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2007, 04:26:32 PM »
Originally posted by Lusche
Wouldn't have it been easy to log in as Rook or Bish for a night? You would have done a good deed for all players by evening out the sides & reducing ENY limits for your Knight friends. And it's quite fun to shoot down (or to be shot down by) players you are knowing well.

Problem is Lusche, the 68th is well known as a Knight squad. Whenever anyone flies for Rook or Bish, the whole squad is subjected to a torrent of squeals about cheating / spying etc. For the sake of everyone's sanity, squad rules say everyone flies Knight exclusively.

I know that doesn't help this situation. For what its worth, I'd never had a problem with arena caps until Friday and that was just a weird set of circumstances.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Arena numbers
« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2007, 04:38:46 PM »
Originally posted by 68Wooley
Problem is Lusche, the 68th is well known as a Knight squad. Whenever anyone flies for Rook or Bish, the whole squad is subjected to a torrent of squeals about cheating / spying etc.

Frankly : The moment someone starts to cry that way about spying/defecting/treason you know he is one of the biggest tools in game. You should have the grandeur to laugh about it and ignore that poor creature.

(When I migrated to Rookland at the beginning of current tour I had a few nasty PM's accusing me of being a "quitter" myself :D)
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman