Author Topic: F4U-1A help  (Read 660 times)

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
F4U-1A help
« on: December 18, 2007, 06:59:51 PM »
I'm sure this will be easy for most to answer but I haven't figured it out. Some how the last couple days I've got the darn thing rolling left and stalling. what the heck am I doing? I don't do this in any other F4U and my only guess is i need to drain a certain fuel tank first. Thanks.

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
F4U-1A help
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2007, 07:32:44 PM »
Best practice is to get the left wing down to somewhere between 1/8 to 1/4. The right tank can be drained to about the same, if anything leave a little bit more in the tank. Don't switch over to main tank until you have the two wings burned to where you want them.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline manurin

• Nickel Member
F4U-1A help
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2007, 06:33:36 AM »
Try to up it, with only 50% fuel (internal only) to see any difference, or to avoid that wing load problems take 50% + a droppy that should be enough fuel if you don't plan to cross the whole map  ;)
71 "Eagle" Squadron RAF

Offline Scca

• Gold Member
F4U-1A help
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2007, 07:01:40 AM »
That left roll stall thing is connected.  If you pull up too hard (high angle of attack - AOA), the left wing seems to stall first and causes the roll, often this happens when you are slow.  Usually a few notches of flaps help cut down on that.  

Flaps are the key to the Hogs ability to turn.  Last month I flew it often and have found that when I have time to climb, it's my preferred ride.  Funny what a difference a month in a plane makes.
Flying as AkMeathd - CO Arabian Knights
Working on my bbs cred one post at a time

http://www.arabian-knights.org

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
F4U-1A help
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2007, 07:26:46 AM »
Problem with DT manurin is that even after you cut the tank loose you still lose a few mph top speed because the pylon doesn't drop with it, as opposed to the 1C/D and 4, where the pylons are always there.

Also, the wing tanks make for a nice reserve for when the main gets punctured. You can get about a sector/sector and a half on cruise speeds with 1/8 gas in each wing.

IMO better to have the extra internal gas.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline zmeg

• Silver Member
F4U-1A help
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2007, 07:48:24 AM »
Fly the F4U-1 for a couple of weeks, then when you get back in the F4U-1A it will fly like a dream.

Offline WaRLoCkL

• Nickel Member
      • http://elitebf2aces.net
F4U-1A help
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2007, 02:30:18 PM »
U never need to bring a drop on a -1a u get alot less dragg without the pylon. As far as the stalling goes all corsairs have that charerecteristic, its a fine balencing act when u are in a dog fight. the key is to fly at the edge of the threshold.

The -1a is my favorite ride next to the -4 and i even like the -1 but i cannot stand to fly the -1d because it seems to be the worst staller and just isnt as affective.

I would guess u are probly pulling up to hard on the stick and that is what is causing u to roll and stall

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
F4U-1A help
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2007, 03:53:54 PM »
Originally posted by WaRLoCkL
U never need to bring a drop on a -1a u get alot less dragg without the pylon. As far as the stalling goes all corsairs have that charerecteristic, its a fine balencing act when u are in a dog fight. the key is to fly at the edge of the threshold.

The -1a is my favorite ride next to the -4 and i even like the -1 but i cannot stand to fly the -1d because it seems to be the worst staller and just isnt as affective.

I would guess u are probly pulling up to hard on the stick and that is what is causing u to roll and stall
Ive been flyin 1A for a week or 2, NEVER knew that about pylon--checked it offline, isnt there if no select drop. (ALSO, as Ive been flyin with 50+ drop, Ive never had gas in wings--last night, some tard kilt all our gas at whatever base from wich I was launching for my latest death, so I took 100%, and promptly hung myself upside-down for like 10-15 seconds:rolleyes: ---too much gas = bad)
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
F4U-1A help
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2007, 05:09:11 PM »
75% IMO is ideal for most situations. Just burn the wings to about 1/8 each (first left, then right). That much gas in the wings will get you about a sector or so using cruise settings, and it's nice having the reserve in case your main tank gets punctured.

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
F4U-1A help
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2007, 06:03:23 PM »
IF you fly your  F4U-1 or -1A and fly it within its flight envelope,  you should not have any major problems when using the Drop Tank....

I recommend flying with 75% & 1 DT or 50% and 1 DT rather than 100% fuel......

if the fuel is down at the field you take off from, use 75%..and burn wing tanks down first.

as Saxman has mentioned, sometimes it is a good idea to leave a little in each wing tank incase your main gets hit, or to use to RTB.

I prefer to drain both wing tanks bone dry myself..have always done that and is what I am accustomed to.....

the very minut drag of the pylons is worth taking the DT in my opinion verses flying with out one.......

using your plane how it is meant to be flown the Pylon rack is of no difference in my opinion what is a smidget of a few mph that you will only be at once you are FLAT OUT TOP SPEED... you will exceed this speed in dives and will not notice it at all when accelerating and maneuvering....
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline SirLoin

• Platinum Member
F4U-1A help
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2007, 08:30:14 PM »
i'll burn the left tank down to 0,then burn the right down to %50 and switch to mains till that runs out and use right tank for rtb.
**JOKER'S JOKERS**