Author Topic: Tumble.  (Read 700 times)

Offline Benny Moore

• Silver Member
Tumble.
« on: December 20, 2007, 10:33:50 PM »
So, what exactly would you call this maneuver (other than a mess)?  It's a tumble of some sort.  It's part hammerhead, part flat spin, and it's almost got a bit of lomcevak in it.  It's sloppy, of course, but can anyone decide what this maneuver should be called, or what maneuver it's closest to?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDXRKB17s-Q

Offline FireDrgn

• Silver Member
Tumble.
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2007, 11:39:03 PM »
Can you perform this at will or was this a fluke. looked pretty kewl to me
"When the student is ready the teacher will appear."   I am not a teacher.

Offline Benny Moore

• Silver Member
Tumble.
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2007, 12:48:13 AM »
It's very easily replicated, much more easily than a true hammerhead.  At any time when your airplane is heading directly upwards, put the stick fully back and to one side and give full opposite rudder.  Hold it there until your airplane stops ascending and begins descending.  Power remains at full throughout the maneuver.

I would have held it in there for longer, but I was at very low altitude.  Ordinarily, I allow the tumble to develop into a normal spin as the airplane starts decending.  Note that how fast you are going when you initiate the maneuver determines how flat the spin is and several other aesthetic factors.  As I said, I did it very sloppily.  A good aerobatic pilot could make this much more impressive and also exit the maneuver in the same direction in which he entered it.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
Tumble.
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2007, 12:53:31 AM »
looks like a snap/flick roll to me.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline SkyRock

• Platinum Member
Tumble.
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2007, 01:06:01 AM »
looks like another day in the park to me, good flyin!:aok

Triton28 - "...his stats suggest he has a healthy combination of suck and sissy!"

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
Tumble.
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2007, 08:21:06 AM »
Looks like a zoom climb to vertical with an aileron roll with too much back stick that results in a flip over stall ... doubt it has an official name.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline helbent

• Nickel Member
Tumble.
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2007, 09:54:24 AM »
Id say zoom climb to snap roll to hammerhead
Creator and original CO of the now HiJacked Squad -=Hell Hounds=-
Never argue with an idiot.  They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
Avator by fugi.

Offline Fulmar

• Gold Member
      • Aces High Movie Database
Tumble.
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2007, 10:44:07 AM »
I'd name it yourself.  My suggestion would be the "WTF was that?" as in this would be the most likely reaction of your opponent.
In game callsign: not currently flying
Flying off and on since Warbirds
Aces High Movies available at www.derstuhl.net/ahmd2 - no longer aceshighmovies.com - not updated either

Offline Bucky73

• Silver Member
Tumble.
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2007, 10:56:15 AM »
That would be a maneuver that Corky does just before he augers into the trees.:D

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
Tumble.
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2007, 10:57:23 AM »
Sweet.

When are you going to pony up the $15 and join the rest of us Benny?
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline 68Ripper

• Nickel Member
Tumble.
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2007, 12:05:50 PM »
You could name it the Fosberry flop after Rodney Dangerfields Dive. :rofl :rofl :rofl
Ironic
Fistful of Aces

I had a psychic girlfriend once, but she left me before we met

When I got home last night, my wife demanded that I take her someplace expensive....  so, I took her to a gas station

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
Tumble.
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2007, 12:13:58 PM »
Acending spiral into a left flop. Can be done either left or right. Depending on what the con behind me is doing I may back off the throttle to differing degrees also. Key is determing directional status to your intended target after the flop. I may at that time back throttles to idle or go full out.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Benny Moore

• Silver Member
Tumble.
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2007, 01:08:56 PM »
Good grief, you pull this in combat?  This isn't a spiral climb; the aircraft is fully stalled from the initiation of the tumble until the recovery.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
Tumble.
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2007, 01:54:39 PM »
It is a controlled maneuver............

I fly 38s almost exclusively..... I die regularly but kill enough to offset the deaths well. :aok  Most times I am in the trees knife fighting, sometimes you may see me with alt but rarely.

As for Dan augering he usually only augers on the 80ths Auger On Shuffler night.... where as I am landing 8 or 9 38s try to see who can crash closest... :D
« Last Edit: December 21, 2007, 02:02:09 PM by Shuffler »
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Benny Moore

• Silver Member
Tumble.
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2007, 01:56:49 PM »
Yes, but its only function when a bandit's on your tail is to present him with a nice cross-section.  It's even conveniently rotating so that he can easily maximize area coverage.

I suppose if you were good enough, you could influence your nose to briefly pass over your foe in the spin so that you could make a quick burst, but I could never do that.