Author Topic: P38 Differences  (Read 1024 times)

Offline DoNKeY

• Silver Member
P38 Differences
« on: December 23, 2007, 06:51:46 PM »
Hey guys, looking to try out the P38 a little more (was my 2 week plane :aok ).  Anyways, just what are the differences between the J and L?  No need to worry about the G, haha sorry G lovers.  

Thanks guys.

donkey
2sBlind

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
P38 Differences
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2007, 02:13:55 AM »
L has power assisted controls so it rolls faster.  It also has a dive flap that can be used to put off compressibilty.

Some of the best of the AH 38 sticks fly the J however.  I prefer the J to the L at this point if I'm not flying my 38G.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline DoNKeY

• Silver Member
P38 Differences
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2007, 02:26:09 AM »
Any reason why the J to the L?
2sBlind

Offline clerick

• Silver Member
P38 Differences
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2007, 02:29:16 AM »
Other than what Dan said, the J weighs a little less (if Murdr gets his way maybe a LOT less :noid  ) and therefore turns better than the L.

However the L has a better external load-out.  Same bomb weight but larger 5" rockets and 2 more of them.  Plus the rails disappear once the rockets are used so there is no extra drag penalty from lugging around an empty ord hanger like there is on the J.

For fighter sweeps or simple gv killin' i prefer the J, mainly because i can fight air cons better once the ord is off.  For serious JABO work I'll take an L for its ability to handle the higher speeds of a good base porking.

*edit*
Here is a diagram Widewing did.  You can see the difference in the J's turn radius and turn rate compared to the L.  If you look at the G you can see why so many 38 dweebs like it.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2007, 02:54:04 AM by clerick »

Offline DoNKeY

• Silver Member
P38 Differences
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2007, 02:51:47 AM »
Sweet, thanks.
2sBlind

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
P38 Differences
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2007, 07:28:28 AM »
Originally posted by clerick
If you look at the G you can see why so many 38 dweebs like it.

:eek:

Too bad they added that extra weight...in my opinion it made it feel like a mack truck on square wheels.

EDIT: clerick...get your math right!

L = 10 rockets
J = 6 rockets
G = 6 rockets

Since when does 10-6 = 2? :rofl
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline clerick

• Silver Member
P38 Differences
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2007, 09:59:57 AM »
My bad, i was thinking 8 and 6. been too long since i've flown :(

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
P38 Differences
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2007, 10:51:13 AM »
Originally posted by Guppy35
L has power assisted controls so it rolls faster.  It also has a dive flap that can be used to put off compressibilty.

Some of the best of the AH 38 sticks fly the J however.  I prefer the J to the L at this point if I'm not flying my 38G.

You know what I noticed about the P-38L's dive recovery flaps? They add zero drag as modeled.

Try it. Level off a a constant speed (373 mph @10k in WEP), combat trim on. Deploy the speed boards. You will see no change in speed. Now, disable combat trim, trimming manually. Repeat the test and you'll see no change in speed again. I get the same result with the P-47D-40. Apparently, the drag associated with these dive recovery flaps is not modeled.

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
P38 Differences
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2007, 11:55:14 AM »
Pages 104-108 For Cd references with different dive device configurations if you're interested.

Offline DoNKeY

• Silver Member
P38 Differences
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2007, 11:12:46 PM »
So power wise, is there any difference in the J/L?  Does the L have more horsepower?  The J weighs less right?  So it turns better?  The L rolls better though right?  Which one accels better?  Anything else I'm missing here?
2sBlind

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
P38 Differences
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2007, 12:08:08 AM »
Originally posted by DoNKeY
So power wise, is there any difference in the J/L?  Does the L have more horsepower?  The J weighs less right?  So it turns better?  The L rolls better though right?  Which one accels better?  Anything else I'm missing here?

Yes you forgot that the 38G owns all of them. :p
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline splitatom

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
P38 Differences
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2007, 02:07:50 PM »
if you look at gonsville that everything is the same exept exceleration it has difrent times for certain exceleration but over all it is the same
snowey flying since tour 78

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
P38 Differences
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2007, 03:24:05 PM »

The difference in turn between the J and the L is minimul.  If pilots are of equal skill, it's not going to make the difference in a fight.  I really don't think it makes a difference between pilots of different skill levels as well.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
P38 Differences
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2007, 03:32:35 PM »

I'd suggest picking one of the two and staying with it until you get the 'feel' for it.

Delirium, Murdr, AKAK, Soulyss etc are deadly in the 38J.  Raptor, Shuffler are deadly in the 38L.

I think it's more a matter of which one grabs you.  

Then again I'm a 38G driver so what do I know? :)

Oh and they do look good.  Edited to add my favorite screenshot from the last scenario when I had the 474th 38s with all the 38 drivers mentioned and more.

I took a J, most everyone else took Ls.  Nothing like a bunch of 38s outbound:aok
« Last Edit: December 27, 2007, 03:37:37 PM by Guppy35 »
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Fianna

• Nickel Member
P38 Differences
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2007, 06:56:27 PM »
It doesn't really make a difference... I like the J because it has olive drab skins. Fringe likes the L because it has bare metal skins.

L also rolls better at high speeds.