Author Topic: F4U help or a clip  (Read 1156 times)

Offline DEAR98

• Copper Member
F4U help or a clip
« on: January 13, 2008, 08:46:17 AM »
can i get some help with the F4U like first how far do you set your covrince
and the A-1s the best right? and a sort clip whould be very good:)
Don't shoot a "deer" they may shoot back.
The String is stronger than steal.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
F4U help or a clip
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2008, 09:32:30 AM »
DEAR98, try to get this into your head...... There is no BEST! Each plane and version of a plane does somethings better than other, but it will also do some thing worst. Its all a trade off.

The f4u-1 is  a great plane, but has just about the worst views in the game, the 1a is the fastest, but the -4 has more power. On the other hand, the 1d carries the biggest load, but the C has cannons!!!

You have to decide "how" you want to fly, or "what misson" you want (bombing objects, strait air to air fights, buff hunting) and pick the plane that can do that job.

convergence is a personal thing, but the general consensus is to keep them in close. I like to keep all of mine the same 350. This way I'm always looking for the same range when I shoot.

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
F4U help or a clip
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2008, 09:35:54 AM »
convergence is really a personal preference.
I personally use 350 all converging at 350...
some like 200, some like 400..etc etc..

as for which is best of the series.that is also a personal preference
I prefer the F4U-1 series.....

Saxman prefers the F4U-1A

SHawk prefers the F4U-1C

if you got the perks to spend, F4U-4 is best performer....

as for films....I don't post films of multiply kill sorties......but there are many films posted on this messageboard regarding F4U planes.....

you could do better by using tutorial type films verses the above mentioned Multi Kill sortie type films, in my opinion.  Or get with a trainer ( Widewing, Badboy, TC, Murdr, Hammer, Mace, Rolex, Ren, Ghosth, Spatula, Silat, Mtnman )

AKDogg,Sirloin, Skyrock, AGalland, Saxman, BluKitty, as well as some others are very good F4U flyers to look up also.....

Fugitive beat me to it..he summed it up pretty well....
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
F4U help or a clip
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2008, 09:57:19 AM »
You're going to get a LOT of different answers to this question, because there's a lot of difference of opinion. Here's mine:

Convergence: I set my guns to 200yds. I do this for two reasons: First, at that range the .50cal are absolute buzz-saws. If you hit your target square at that range you're almost guaranteed to cause some major damage. Second, I find it makes hitting the target easier. You don't have to pull as much lead in a deflection shot, and if your saddled up the target is effectively filling your sights, anyway.

As far as which Hog's the best...

F4U-4 is far and away the best mark IF you have the perks for her. She's the best prop in the game PERIOD. The perk price, however makes her less attractive in a ground attack role. Otherwise, equal pilots she will pwn almost anything else in the air. She's one of the fastest props throughout the altitude range, and at LEAST in the Top 10 of pretty much every performance category, and whatever deficiency she may have against an opponent, she has at LEAST two or three other areas that she is superior. Most importantly, she takes the main shortcomings of the 1-series Hogs: average at best acceleration and vertical performance, and turns them into strengths.

F4U-1A is the best pure dogfighter of the unperked Hogs. She's the fastest (marginally so over the the -1 birdcage) and with acceleration and vertical performance roughly comparable to the 1D. She's also the best turner of ALL the Hogs. There's more gas because of the wing tanks, however when burned down to 1/8th in each wing (left, then right) the effect on performance is negligible, IMO. Additionally, it's a nice security blanket. I know every time I fly a -4 or any other Hog without the wing tanks I end up wishing I had them (like last night, when a Spixteen perforated my FORWARD-MOUNTED FUSELAGE TANK FROM DEAD 6 AT 1500 YARDS :furious  :mad: :furious  :mad: :furious  :mad: ). 1/8 in each wing will get you at least a sector with proper cruise settings. The chief knock many people originally had the 1A was that when first added the 1A loaded an equal amount of gas in all tanks (IE, take 50% fuel and 50% is loaded in all three tanks) however this was changed in one of the recent updates to use the same loadout as the -1 birdcage. Some people have begun flying her more since this change, however there are still a few who still consider her inferior.

F4U-1D is next for me. She's not as fast as the 1A because of the permanently-fixed pylons on the inner part of the wing, and she has more weight so doesn't turn quite as well. She's marginally superior in the vertical, though the difference is close enough as to be immaterial. I mostly use her as a bomb truck, and she's the best choice of the marks for ground attack. 2x1000lbers and 8xHVAR is enough to drop a hangar, and if you execute it properly you can loose all that ordinance on one pass so you don't have to go back through a second time.

F4U-1C I place fourth. Her speed is roughly on-par with the 1D, though she loses slightly in acceleration and the vertical. The key to the Charlie is raw firepower. The four Hispano 20mm pack a whallop, and have ballistics only marginally inferior to the Ma Deuce. As a result it takes very little time to switch between gunnery with the .50cal to the Hizookas. She also has a remarkably plentiful ammo load for a cannon-armed bird, and the sheer weight of fire makes kills in one sortie in the double-digits without rearming a clear possibility (though on a good day I could do the same with the .50cal). However IMO the cannon add just enough weight and reduction in performance that she's not my ideal choice for air-to-air. Granted the firepower makes her a good buff-hunter, but she's generally lacking compared to the rest of the lineup. Instead, I use her most often in a ground attack role. She lacks the extra two pairs of rockets in the 1D (4xHVAR, compared to the 1D's eight) however the cannon help to compensate, making her a very good strafer. She's the best choice for de-acking, strafing down town, and is one of the top vulchers.

Placing the F4U-1 at the bottom of the pack is probably going to earn me some flames, but I have my reasons. First and foremost, her acceleration and vertical performance are the poorest of all marks of the Hog, and in fact are near the bottom of the list for ANY fighter. The aircraft's sluggishness is VERY noticeable, especially if you spend time flying the 1A which is very close otherwise in performance. The 1A is slightly faster and a better turner, (although both are close enough as to not really have an effect in combat) and the 1A, C and D will all out-climb and accelerate the birdcage. Additionally, the low-set cockpit gives her about the worst forward view of any of the Hogs. I HATE trying to make deflection shots in the birdcage, because you're really shooting blind. Ironically, she does have the bet REAR view of all the Hogs, though the canopy frame blocks out a significant amount of the view from all other angles. That's not to say she's a bad ship, and there's some guys who can really make the birdcage dance, but the -1 really requires an experienced hand to be effective in Late War. She's much more competitive in the Mid War Arena.

Incidentally, VMF-251 is always on the lookout for other Hog fans so feel free to look us up.

VMF-251 Headquarters
« Last Edit: January 13, 2008, 10:00:34 AM by Saxman »
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline SirLoin

• Platinum Member
F4U help or a clip
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2008, 07:15:02 AM »
I'll leave the F4u-4 out of this cause it is the best prop plane in the game.

F4u-1: i rarely fly this variant because of it's poor climbrate, poor verticle preformance and poor cockpit veiws..However,if you are determined to use it to it's best attributes(concealing E & escape velocity) it can be a very leathal & fun alternative to the other Hogs.It has the advantage of wing tanks to counter engine torque at the top of the verticle(leave 1/4 in right) and has great range so you can set this plane up for a very leathal merge.

F4u-D:Better all round figher preformance(than -1) in most every way except you need at least 1 drop tank for climbout.But once you rid the tank,it can be flown at it's full potential until it's time to rtb.It has the best climbrate of the lot below 10k,so you can switch from slashing attacks to ropes & overshoot conversions as the fite gets lower cause it can regain E quickly when you pull the flaps & gear back up.

F4u1-A:First,never take a drop-tank with this variant cause the hardpoint for the DT is then modeled and nullifies the slight preformance the 1A has over the D.Burn the left dry & the right down to %50(it has more torque than -1) and fly on mains.It has a very slight advantage in everything over the 1D(except climbrate below 10k)Fly it as you would the D with the added benefit of acceleration,turnrate & speed.

F4u-C:The most leathal of the lot.Out of the hanger,the climbrate,speed,acceleration and turnrate is worse than the 1-a & D.So to get that preformance back,you have the option of dumping at least half the cannon ammo on the runway and thus matching(or surpassing) all the other hogs in preformance...and  drastically exceeding them all (including -4) in firepower.By turning tracers off & setting convergence short,it's by far the best at snapshots & overshoot kills..You even have more options for experimenting with convergences too.
**JOKER'S JOKERS**

Offline Lance48

• Zinc Member
F4U help or a clip
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2008, 03:53:57 PM »
I don't get it...for me all of the Corsairs are the most difficult to handle. Simple turns turn into stall/spins even when I have decent E. I'm new so it's obviously me, but compared to the LA, Zero, or almost any other fighter this thing handles like a bull.

Offline Scca

• Gold Member
F4U help or a clip
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2008, 04:07:24 PM »
Originally posted by Lance48
I don't get it...for me all of the Corsairs are the most difficult to handle. Simple turns turn into stall/spins even when I have decent E. I'm new so it's obviously me, but compared to the LA, Zero, or almost any other fighter this thing handles like a bull.
I used to think the same thing..  Fly it for a month, and you will change your mind.

BTW, see if you can get some training time with TequilaChaser.  Even though it took almost a year to believe him, I now think the F4U is the very best overall ride in the game.  

TC, I would be honored to some time in the DA with you if you ever have a chance.  I know I wouldn't last long, but it would be another learning experience.
Flying as AkMeathd - CO Arabian Knights
Working on my bbs cred one post at a time

http://www.arabian-knights.org

Offline Simaril

• Platinum Member
F4U help or a clip
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2008, 04:22:15 PM »
Lance --

Remember to always speak kindly of a lady! ;)

Honestly, it sounds like you're running up against the first big step in understanding combat in AH. The planes you mentioned all excel at one part of flight, and they are tremendously forgiving of misuse. In the end, most of those planes have something they do better than *anything* else in the planeset, so if all else fails you can fall back on an advantage that makes up for mistakes. The next step, though, requires that sim pilots understand the individual strengths and weaknesses of each design. That way you learn how to fly IN the plane, and maybe more importantly you inderstand what the plane's weaknesses are so you can BEAT the plane when you fly something else.

The Corsairs are probably my favorite AH family, though i don't come anywhere near the skill shown by guys like Saxman, SirLoin, Widewing, TC, and others. Main thing to remember is that these planes like to be fast. Bank up some energy, and use it smart...spend it carefully, and you can fight even with almost any plane out there. You do have to learn the touch, cause she won't let you yank the stick all over...but once you learn it, you'll find all sorts of interesting things. It's fast, not to outrun a Lala in a long chase but plenty to extend ranges and escape. It dives like a homesick rock. Its guns are deadly. It loves the rolling scissor, and with that move can slide behind almost anything when flown well. And, did you know that the F4U with full flaps has a smaller turn circle than the Spit VIII and SPit IX? Nothing qite as satisfying as surprising someone that way....

The Corsairs are simply a great transition ride for pilots looking to move past the planes that fly themselves. You have to invest some effort, and you ahve to learn to use her strengths while avoiding the weaknesses, but learning her is more straightforward than you'll find learning the quirks and strengths of many other planes. (For example, it seems to me that the Ki84 and P-38 demand more before the rewards start coming.)

BTW == If you get snaprolls and stalls, its usually because you're yanking the stick to fast, or pulling it into too much angle of attack. Best advice for that problem is...don't do that!
Maturity is knowing that I've been an idiot in the past.
Wisdom is realizing I will be an idiot in the future.
Common sense is trying to not be an idiot right now

"Social Fads are for sheeple." - Meatwad

Offline Lance48

• Zinc Member
F4U help or a clip
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2008, 06:17:38 PM »
Thank you.

Do you apply much rudder with her? If so where?

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
F4U help or a clip
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2008, 06:28:29 PM »
Lance,

At the top of verticals. You can also use it to haul the nose over any time you have a target passing you just out of line (off-angle merges, etc). Rudder CAN also help you tighten up in some circumstances.

Honestly, this is why I wish the film viewer showed control surface movement, as rudder usage would be easier to show than describe
« Last Edit: January 22, 2008, 06:30:54 PM by Saxman »
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline SgtPappy

• Silver Member
F4U help or a clip
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2008, 09:53:38 PM »
Although at certain angles, with too much elevator and rudder input you could get in a nasty stall.
I am a Spitdweeb

"Oh I have slipped the surly bonds of earth... Put out my hand and touched the face of God." -J.G. Magee Jr.

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
F4U help or a clip
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2008, 10:07:28 PM »
True. But in level flight that also performs a snap-roll which can be beneficial in many cases (I use it sometimes if an opponent insist on a HO. It can be very effective at disrupting his aim and timing). Rudder can also greatly assist your rate of roll, especially in a rolling scissors (with practice you can take advantage of the snap-roll  to roll into the upward or downward phase much faster).

Rudder is also a more effective method of shedding airspeed quickly in a fight, as opposed to lowering your landing gear.

Offline SgtPappy

• Silver Member
F4U help or a clip
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2008, 10:35:44 PM »
True, I've been trying to perfect the snap roll in the F4U and I'm still getting there.

Or, if you were crazy/dumb enough to try, you could use the gear in combination with rudder slip to practically stop in mid-air.

Also, I'm not too sure about the Corsair 'turning tighter' than Spitfires so much as turning faster. When I fought against Hog pilots as good in the Hog as I was in my Spit or against Spit pilots as good as I was in my Hog in the H2H, I often found that the F4U wouldn't out turn any Spitfire horizontally (except the 14 and usually the 16 unless the pilot was FX1 or Sonic who would give me a long fight in the Hog), but only though yo-yo's and loops.

Through a loop, it seems, the Corsair just powers on through and the already efficient flaps help it fly through a loop easily. The Spitfire, however, cannot follow through quite so easily especially at the top of loops sine it's too slow to be flying without flaps (i.e. it needs the flaps for more AoA) but if it does drop flaps, there's just too much drag to actually assist in turning. If the Spitfire had variable-degree flaps like a Hog or any other American plane for that matter, it would fly through loops better.

Though, the Spitfire's gentle stalls, if timed right with flaps, seem to actually let it smoothly 'fall' through the top of a loop rather than turn through it if you get my drift.
I am a Spitdweeb

"Oh I have slipped the surly bonds of earth... Put out my hand and touched the face of God." -J.G. Magee Jr.

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
F4U help or a clip
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2008, 11:12:30 PM »
http://gonzoville.com/ahcharts/index.php

Compare the turn radius with flaps in the -1 vs. the Spits (-1 chosen as she's closest in turn radius to the 1A, which itself has the tightest turning radius).

Offline Vipper65

• Copper Member
F4U help or a clip
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2008, 08:34:59 AM »
OK so when you pop the flaps down to make the turn do you leave them down and stay on the boggie or bring them right back up, shoot and extend?  I think when I get in the situation to drop flaps I stay engaged to long and get way to slow.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2008, 08:39:41 AM by Vipper65 »
Viper
"If you're in a fair fight, you didn't plan it properly."

VF-17 Jolly Rogers, 52ND Fighter Group