Author Topic: The Good Old Days  (Read 3345 times)

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
The Good Old Days
« Reply #60 on: January 18, 2008, 04:32:54 PM »
Originally posted by kilz
we had pizza map

you could drive into the town buildings

bombing took more skill

dog fights where more fun due to the lack of hoing back then.

people actualy saluted others after a good fight. and not farking cherry picking dweeb, ho dweeb spit dweeb la7 tard so on and so on.

the gv fights where out of this world. we had better maps then and alot more gv fights would break out and it was a blast.

many many clasic fights with AApache stgr Ironic littleal bigal the list goes on and on.

i am glad to see that we have some of the old big maps back it has brought back some of the fun and i hope to see more big maps come back to life hint hint TRINITY LOL

there was one map (and it was not pizza)
no town
bombing was easy than
hoing  was used exactly as today
people insulted each other exactly like today
there was no GV
who is AApache ?

Offline killjoy1

• Copper Member
      • http://www.nortonfamily.net
The Good Old Days
« Reply #61 on: January 18, 2008, 06:32:50 PM »
Big difference in the GOD (tm) Good Ol Days

We seemed to know more people and worked together.  Squads were more active.  

It seems so hard to keep a squad active any more.  Almost everyone craves it and few can find it.  If AH fails, I think it will be because HT decided to not support squad activity.
callsigns:  Rexx, Killjoy, Fluffy

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
The Good Old Days
« Reply #62 on: January 18, 2008, 06:53:21 PM »
While squads seem to come and go thats based on the dynamics in the squad itself. HTC isnt creating any negative impact on the squad aspect. I know the squad I'm in has more then doubled in the 18 months or so since I joined it.

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline sax

• Gold Member
      • http://www.13thtas.com
Re: Re: The Good Old Days
« Reply #63 on: January 18, 2008, 07:53:30 PM »
Originally posted by RedTop

Smaller squads.....Big fights....'s from almost everyone....and very litlle fighting over anything.

Thats all the game was ever about , friends , respect and community .

That feeling died with almost all of the new so called aces .

Oh and Goose couldn't land a FM2 with multiple kills unless
9 B17's hit a mountain in front of him .

Offline Imoutfishing

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
The Good Old Days
« Reply #64 on: January 19, 2008, 02:50:22 AM »
My god.  Every post scares me.  

I can tell from each discription exactly when they started to play.  Based on the whines, flight condition's, or changes in the game.

I need a new hobby :)

MGD

Offline Dutchie

• Copper Member
The Good Old Days
« Reply #65 on: January 19, 2008, 04:57:56 AM »
Originally posted by hubsonfire
It was a virtual paradise until all of you doofuses showed up and ruined it. That's what it was like.

Well said, so pls all quakers sodd off all :cool:

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
The Good Old Days
« Reply #66 on: January 19, 2008, 06:00:39 AM »
The Map room used to be in the center of the field and when troops were running, people would spawn a B17, drive to the map room and drop the bombs while running on the ground "car bomb" style.

The fuel on 4 fields could be brought down to 25% by a single lancaster flying at 30k. Following which you'd only see P51s on the entire front, being the only plane who could reach anywhere on 25% and without DT.

Those were the days...
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline GooseAW

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.chawks.com
Re: Re: Re: The Good Old Days
« Reply #67 on: January 19, 2008, 03:06:07 PM »
Originally posted by sax
Thats all the game was ever about , friends , respect and community .

That feeling died with almost all of the new so called aces .

Oh and Goose couldn't land a FM2 with multiple kills unless
9 B17's hit a mountain in front of him .

HeHe!

I remember one night we kept running into each other in our FM2s. Those were some fun fights! Especially since I won!:D Seems to me that was near the end of AHI. Gawd there were some great fights back then. Remember how people used to ask before they came in and picked you or the opponent you had worked for 5 minutes to gain angles on? siggghhh..

Offline airbumba

• Silver Member
, Oh, the good ole days..
« Reply #68 on: January 19, 2008, 10:13:32 PM »
I wrote this back then when we switched to AHII.

It brought back a flood of memories when I searched it out and tried to post it as a thread...it reminded me of how inept I ame at computers, but also reminded me of how much I love aviation and care for all the people that made/ make up this community.

Aces High Tribute:
(just writing thoughts down, hope you get it)

As I walk down the dry aging runway, my feet dragging , swirling up a small dust cloud, I wasn’t sure what brought me back here after all these years. Was I feeling sentimental in my thoughts, of all the people and the times we shared, maybe I was reliving the memories that were forged here, but have rusted over the years? Was I selfishly attempting to traverse time by reaching into the past in a vain attempt to remember a younger, wide eyed version of myself? It really didn’t matter what brought me here, I was here, and the past was slowly making its way to the forefront of my thoughts.

With a slow , somewhat calculated stride, I set off walking down the neglected runways. Grass was growing upwards from the cracks widened by the passing years. Nature it seems, had no time for sentimental journeys, she carried onwards without hesitation. I on the other hand, was becoming overwhelmed by the flushing memories. To a young wide eyed flight officer, how long those runways looked, how large the buildings seemed, and how terrifyingly sleek the planes were. Everything was larger than life, but none more so than the pilots. Oh, the pilots. I still remember it like yesterday, how the aces seemed like gods to the younger ranks. They flew in a different sky than us, they were out of reach, hovering over us , in an untouchable manner. When the aces would reach down from their perch and say, “good fight”, it was the ultimate compliment for a lowly flight officer. This was the instant gratification and acknowledgement of the hours spent flying, trying and dying that propelled us forward and perpetuated our striving to attain a place on the higher ground, closer to the gods.

The cracks on the runway and the rust on the hangars, reminded me that the physical attributes of this hallowed place, didn’t stand the test of time as well as my recollections . Walking past the tower, with it’s broken windows and derelict antennae, I can still here the chatter of dozens of pilots on a huge mission, their voices crackling over the vox. Passing a now empty radar pit, I can still see the multi coloured dots flying together across the screen in a memorial flight to a fallen comrade.

The distant whir of wind slipping through a rusted fence, was easily mistaken for the buzz and laughter emanating from the officers club, by my now overactive imagination. The laughter, oh, the laughter! As a smile emerges from my now windswept face, I chuckle with the thought of the laughter. Laughter that can only come from the dry, terse, sometimes coarse sense of humour that only a member of our brotherhood could understand. We were in a league of our own, and every day spent as part of it, made me feel special.

Heading back to my ride, this final walk past the empty hangars stirred memories of how hard we pilots rode those mechanics! It seems nothing was ever good enough for a flyboy, nor should it have been! The constant yearning for better crafts allowed all that is this place, to have existed. Nearing the end of my visit, I noticed something peculiar. The map room was still in pristine condition. It seemed a fitting monument to all the planning that went on in there, a memorial to all those hard working people who planned our large scenarios and special operations.

The time has come for me to return home, to my new home. I still remember that sunny day in June , 2004, when the last truck convoys rolled, and the final plane was being ferried out, how we all looked into the future with a nervous, uncertain gaze. How we arrived at our new base and all the years of new faces and new memories that we made there,…well that’s a story for another time.

As I flyout, looking back at the sun setting over my old home, I will never forget the names and faces that I met there, most of them I will meet again, but for the ones I never will, may you forever fly in the clear blue skies of our memories.

.. old friend.
I used to be a fatalist,
but that part of me died.

Offline MotleyCH

• Nickel Member
The Good Old Days
« Reply #69 on: January 19, 2008, 10:59:02 PM »
Originally posted by hubsonfire
http://forums.hitechcreations.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=71485&highlight=contest

When rank became the only thing publicly recognized by HTC on a regular basis. The beginning of the end, as it were.

Is that still in effect?

Not that I have a chance of winning..

Offline Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
Re: , Oh, the good ole days..
« Reply #70 on: January 20, 2008, 12:10:07 AM »
Originally posted by airbumba
I wrote this back then when we switched to AHII.

.. old friend.

I miss AH1 :cry :cry :cry :cry
See Rule 19- Do not place sausage on pizza.
I am No-Sausage-On-Pizza-Wad.
Das Funkillah - I kill hangers, therefore I am a funkiller. Coming to a vulchfest near you.
You cant tie a loop around 400000 lbs of locomotive using a 2 foot rope - Drediock on fat women

Offline trigger2

• Silver Member
The Good Old Days
« Reply #71 on: January 20, 2008, 12:28:14 AM »
Originally posted by Scca
Up hill with no shoes :)

Did we at least have socks to get soaked with water that froze into ice?!?! :eek:
« Last Edit: January 20, 2008, 12:30:41 AM by trigger2 »
Sometimes, we just need to remember what the rules of life really are: You only
need two tools: WD-40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the
WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.
*TAs Aerofighters Inc.*

Offline Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
The Good Old Days
« Reply #72 on: January 20, 2008, 12:31:25 AM »
Nope we had to go barefoot.

If our foot got frozen in the ice, we just cut it off with a dull rusty knife and kept on going
Das Funkillah - I kill hangers, therefore I am a funkiller. Coming to a vulchfest near you.
You cant tie a loop around 400000 lbs of locomotive using a 2 foot rope - Drediock on fat women

Offline trigger2

• Silver Member
The Good Old Days
« Reply #73 on: January 20, 2008, 12:35:09 AM »
Originally posted by Meatwad
Nope we had to go barefoot.

If our foot got frozen in the ice, we just cut it off with a dull rusty knife and kept on going

Well, at least it's dull and rusty...
If it were clean and sharp, well, then you wouldn't feel it :]

When it's dull and rusy, at least you can feel it through the numbing caused by the cold :]
Sometimes, we just need to remember what the rules of life really are: You only
need two tools: WD-40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the
WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.
*TAs Aerofighters Inc.*

Offline Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
The Good Old Days
« Reply #74 on: January 20, 2008, 12:46:05 AM »
Usually by then your foot is so numb you cant feel a thing.

The more older fellers were shorter then us young'uns back then. They already lost both their feet and had to cut off part of their stumps when they got frozed in the ice.

For an interesting note, thats how the feet and yard measurement came along. Didnt have a tape measure back then, just went by the number of feet froze in the ice between objects.

On front of people's houses, there was an average of three feet frozen in the ice along the walkway. The local residents decided that "three feet per yard" was a good way to measure long distances, so that stuck.

Naturally with the industrial revolution, measurements changed and became standard over time, but thats how feet and yard measurements came about