Author Topic: Four cannon Spit V?  (Read 5166 times)

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Four cannon Spit V?
« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2008, 05:52:58 AM »
Originally posted by Gaidin
Oh, I want the 12x 303 version in game!!  I would use it:aok

Even a 8x .303 Spit V would do!

Who needs Hispanos when you can tickle your opponent to death?
Steam: DrKalv
Elite:Dangerous: Snailman

Offline Mike Williams

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.wwiiaircraftperformance.org/
Four cannon Spit V?
« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2008, 08:29:55 PM »
Hi Banzzai:

I know that 19 squadron had a few spit 1b's armed with Cannon
does anyone know how many Hurri's were armed with Cannon in the same period?

i've only seen 1 mentioned, V7360 from 46 squadron and that was shotdown on Sept 5 1940,
iirc 145 squadron had a few but i can't remember where i read it

Interesting!  I've occasionally encountered mention of cannon armed Hurricanes during the Battle of Britain.  I know 151 Squadron used at least one on operations. L-1750 was with 151 I believe.  Here's a couple of Combat Reports from the Battle of Britain mentioning a cannon equipped Hurricane:

F/Lt R. Smith of 151 Squadron, 14 July 1940

F/Lt R. Smith of 151 Squadron, 31 August 1940

I know that the Hurricane II was operational as well.  I believe the Mk II was rather more common than cannon Hurricanes during the Battle of Britain.  I realize it’s rather off the main thread subject but does anyone know off hand which units were equipped with the Hurricane II during the Battle of Britain?

With regard to 4 cannon Spitfires used operationally over Malta by RAF squadrons, please note the following:

Sgt A. P. Goldsmith of 126 Squadron recorded his combat of 21 April 1942 as follows:

"I was flying No. 2 Wombat White Section, to Plt. Off Peck, when we were jumped by four 109F’s at 18,000 feet.  I took evasive action, aileron turning down to about 6000 feet, and about seven miles north of Grand Harbour.  Here, one of the four e/a which had followed me down, crossed my nose in a climbing turn to the left, at a range of 150 yards.  I followed him round, opening fire with the four cannons, observing strikes along the top of the mainplane and fuselage.  After about two seconds, port cannons ceased firing, and I continued firing with starboard guns for two-three seconds.  I then saw a large splash on the surface, and the e/a was seen for a few seconds just under the water before disappearing."

Shores, Cull and Malizia, Malta: The Spitfire year 1942, (Grub Street, London, 1991), p. 207

Cheers,

Mike

Offline Mike Williams

• Zinc Member
Four cannon Spit V?
« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2008, 11:04:06 PM »
Here’s another Spitfire V, 4 cannon account from Malta.

Sgt. V. P. Brennan of 249 Squadron recorded his combat of 25 April 1942 as follows:

"I pulled up 30 or 40 feet underneath him.  It was point blank range, and every detail of his machine stood out vividly.  I could see his markings, his twin radiators, his retracted wheels, even the rivet heads of his fuselage.  I gave him a second and a half with all four cannons.  The result gave me a terrible fright.  His starboard wing snapped off near the fuselage.  It folded back, and banged against the fuselage.  For a moment I thought it was going to tear away from his machine and come hurtling into my aircraft."

Brain Cull, 249 at War, (Grubb Street, London, 1997),  p.108

Mike

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
Four cannon Spit V?
« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2008, 11:33:29 PM »
Originally posted by Lusche
Even a 8x .303 Spit V would do!

Who needs Hispanos when you can tickle your opponent to death?

well,,you know what they say......a tickle is just the beginning of a hurt:D
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline Mike Williams

• Zinc Member
Four cannon Spit V?
« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2008, 12:54:26 AM »
Hi again Banzzai:

i've only seen 1 mentioned, V7360 from 46 squadron and that was shotdown on Sept 5 1940

Rawlings notes in Fighter Squadrons of the R.A.F. the following under 46 Squadrons’s chapter:

"In September, at the height of the Battle of Britain, it moved south to the North Weald Sector and here it was heavily involved.  At this time it was issued with a Hurricane I, V7360, with four cannons in place of the eight machine-guns, for service trials and on 5th September this aircraft (coded “PO B”) and flown by Flight Lieutenant Rabagliati shot down a Messerschmitt 109.”

So, you had the first part correct about 46 Squadron having a cannon armed Hurricane, however, you have the second part of your sentence the wrong way round.  It was the Hurricane that destroyed the Me 109.   I have the combat report from the 5th and can confirm the 109 claim, however, the report itself makes no mention of the cannon.  Rabagliati recorded: “Climbed to 12,000 ft. and spotted an Me 109 on the tail of a Spitfire.  Gave this enemy aircraft a 3 sec. burst and he blew up in the air".  The cannons are mentioned in the reports from 7 and 8 September 1940.  Here’s the one from the 8th:

F/Lt A.C. Rabagliati, 46 Squadron, 8 September 1940

Here's a photo of V7360 from Tim Mason's The Secret Years.

Cheers,

Mike

Offline Banzzai

• Copper Member
Four cannon Spit V?
« Reply #35 on: February 07, 2008, 01:41:54 PM »
Thnx mike found it today as well (spent 2 days destroying the attic looking for a book)
log on and see your posts
i knew i had it wrong with V7360

btw nice site:aok