Author Topic: Airplane on a Conveyor Belt...  (Read 23761 times)

Offline Chairboy

• Probation
  • Plutonium Member
      • hallert.net
Airplane on a Conveyor Belt...
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2008, 12:05:17 PM »
When the plane flies, that crowd will just say it "wasn't set up right" and proceed to re-define the experiment until it gives them the results they've decided on. Not a great scientific method, btw.
"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Offline sluggish

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2008, 12:06:45 PM »
Originally posted by WWhiskey
The thing is the belt is not supposed to compinsate for the speed of the plane it is only going 100knots and the plane is supposed to add power  for 100 knot takeoff  hence 200 knot wheel speed! the plane does not have too stay  stationary!
 this is what threw me at first because i thought that the belt was goin to go faster and faster and the plane had to stay in one spot but those are not the peramiters of the question
 i dont know how too link this thread to the real question or i would then i would break it down for you
IT will fly

http://txfx.net/2005/12/08/airplane-on-a-conveyor-belt/

Read it again WWhiskey.

(maybe twice)
« Last Edit: January 30, 2008, 12:09:00 PM by sluggish »

Offline Yknurd

• Silver Member
      • Satan Is Cool...Tell Your Friends
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2008, 12:22:17 PM »
A' trollin' we will go, a' trollin' we will go, hi-ho the merry-o, a' trollin' we will go.
Drunky | SubGenius
Fat Drunk Bastards
B.A.A.H. - Black Association of Aces High

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
      • http://n/a
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2008, 12:24:02 PM »
It will not take off.

Final answer.

:lol
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain

Offline Chairboy

• Probation
  • Plutonium Member
      • hallert.net
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2008, 12:30:46 PM »
Nobody ever said a final answer needed to be correct.  Didn't see you commit to posting after the episode, though, you're not nervous are ya?
"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Offline GtoRA2

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2008, 12:46:43 PM »
Originally posted by Curval
It will not take off.

Final answer.

:lol

I dont know Curv the previews for the show look like the plane is going to not be tied down in any way, its just going to be on a big tarp that drag behind a truck....

Its going to fly.

Offline Chairboy

• Probation
  • Plutonium Member
      • hallert.net
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2008, 12:55:03 PM »
In which case Curval can simply say "#2" without sounding whiny.  Everyone wins!

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
      • http://n/a
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2008, 12:57:29 PM »
Whatever...I'm just having fun watching Chairboy get his panties all wadded up.

Sure I'll post after the show whatever way it goes.  I failed physics and don't fly planes.  Why anyone would take my opinion seriously on this issue is beyond me.
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain

Offline FrodeMk3

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2008, 01:18:25 PM »
For the life of me, I can't believe that this got dredged up again.

Look, if the aircraft has enough air flowing fast enough over it's wings, It will fly.

If it doesn't, it won't.

The brakes' could be set and locked, but if the airplane is propelled forward fast enough for it's wings to generate sufficient lift, the s.o.b. will fly.

The landing gear wheels' could spin at the road speed equivalent of 400 mph on a conveyor belt, but if there's insufficient airflow over the wings' to generate enough lift to lift the weight of the plane, the damn thing will not fly. It's as simple as that.

Offline john9001

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2008, 01:22:39 PM »
how do seaplanes fly, they don't even have wheels. :confused:

Offline WWhiskey

• Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2008, 02:04:25 PM »
i just got thru watching the comercial for tonights mythbusters lol
this is goin to be fun  any bets?
Flying since tour 71.

Offline Yknurd

• Silver Member
      • Satan Is Cool...Tell Your Friends
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2008, 02:04:25 PM »
Originally posted by FrodeMk3
For the life of me, I can't believe that this got dredged up again.

Look, if the aircraft has enough air flowing fast enough over it's wings, It will fly.

If it doesn't, it won't.

The brakes' could be set and locked, but if the airplane is propelled forward fast enough for it's wings to generate sufficient lift, the s.o.b. will fly.

The landing gear wheels' could spin at the road speed equivalent of 400 mph on a conveyor belt, but if there's insufficient airflow over the wings' to generate enough lift to lift the weight of the plane, the damn thing will not fly. It's as simple as that.

lol.  I don't think you really understand, do you?
Drunky | SubGenius
Fat Drunk Bastards
B.A.A.H. - Black Association of Aces High

Offline Coshy

• Nickel Member
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2008, 03:19:24 PM »
If a helicopter were on a treadmill that moved just as fast as the helicopters wheels moved, would it be able to take off?

:noid :noid
Currently flying as "Ruger"

Offline eskimo2

• Platinum Member
      • hallbuzz.com
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2008, 03:25:53 PM »
The plane will take off, piece-of-cake.  The treadmill could go 800 mph and the plane would still take off.
One thing that they will never be able to prove in RL, however, is the similar question where the treadmill must match the planes wheel speed.  That’s a surprisingly different question, with a surprisingly different answer.

Offline TracerX

• Gold Member
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2008, 04:11:34 PM »
I think the question has been sufficiently answered.  The thrust of the propeller and the speed of the wheels operate completely independently of each other.  The attempts of the conveyor belt to keep the plane from moving are futile.  In fact, the plane will have the same takeoff roll that it normally has with very little effect from the increased speed the wheels see from the movements of the conveyor belt.  The more interesting question is how fast will the wheels be spinning when it takes off at (lets set a standard) 100 mph.  

I suppose that it depends on the operating limitations of the conveyor belt.  But assuming that there are no limits, the speed would be infinitely large since as soon as the plane moves forward one mph, the conveyor belt will enter a never ending acceleration loop as there is nothing it can do to recover the movement of the airplane, thus eventually accelerating to infinity (assuming it could accelerate that fast).
« Last Edit: January 30, 2008, 04:14:16 PM by TracerX »