Author Topic: Whats your favorite kind of "scary" movie?  (Read 932 times)

Offline Treize69

• Platinum Member
      • http://grupul7vanatoare.homestead.com/Startpage.html
Whats your favorite kind of "scary" movie?
« on: January 30, 2008, 07:17:43 PM »
The psycho-slasher flick (Halloween, Friday the 13th, etc.), the mind-screw (American Psycho, The Cell, etc), the classic monster movie (Werewolves, Vampires, the usual), or the other "supernatural" stuff (ghosts, possession, yadda yadda)?

Personally I'm partial to Vampire and Werewolf movies (and anything else having to do with them), from the old classics to the newer takes on the ideas. Can't beat them fuzzy blenders and hungry dead for a good creep-out. :aok

:D :aok
Treize (pronounced 'trays')- because 'Treisprezece' is too long and even harder to pronounce.

Moartea bolșevicilor.

Offline texasmom

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2008, 07:21:02 PM »
I'm partial to the not-scary kind. I stopped watching scary movies in the 5th or 6th grade ~ I saw two movies that were just awful: The Thing... and something about Piranhas (probably called: Piranhas).
<S> Easy8
<S> Mac

Offline Halo

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2008, 07:22:31 PM »
Whatever kind best stimulates our own individual imaginations to evoke the horror that most scares us.  For example, the original movie The Thing in black and white.

The longer the teases and hints fuel our imaginations, the scarier everything gets.  The instant any monster is revealed we start to cope with it, usually looking for a way to laugh at it and mitigate our fear so we can start thinking about specific defenses against it.

Incidentally, note the paradoxical effect of color in monster movies.  For example, no matter what slime or goo connotations are intended, green remains mostly a friendly color.  

The less light, and hence less color, the more we must use our imaginations on the beast and its threat rather than color cues that often diminish rather than increase the fear.    

The original b&w version of The Thing was much scarier than its sequel in color.  Same for many of the Frankenstein, werewolf, and vampire movies.

Oh yeah, one more key ingredient:  awful terrible demented SOUNDS!  Especially off camera.  A deep rumbling growl from the bowels of hell.  Slow labored raspy gasps for breath.  A sudden shriek that loosens bowels.  A howling that soaks us in sweat.  Ripping followed by gurgling.  Sickening thuds.  And we never saw a thing, which only makes it worse.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2008, 07:41:05 PM by Halo »
Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity. (Seneca, 1st century AD, et al)
Practice random acts of kindness and senseless beauty. (Anne Herbert, 1982, Sausalito, CA)
Paramedic to Perkaholics Anonymous

Offline Treize69

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2008, 07:22:42 PM »
Which Thing TXMom? Giant walking eggplant, or shapeshifting body snatcher?

And I don't actually find the vast majority of them scary, I just collect them and like the special effects. The only ones that ever really scared me were alien ones, like Aliens and the modern remake of The Thing. The alien facehuggers are the only thing from a movie that ever gave me nightmares.

« Last Edit: January 30, 2008, 07:29:44 PM by Treize69 »
Treize (pronounced 'trays')- because 'Treisprezece' is too long and even harder to pronounce.

Moartea bolșevicilor.

Offline texasmom

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2008, 07:24:59 PM »
Originally posted by Treize69
Which Thing TXMom? Giant walking eggplant, or shapeshifting body snatcher?

The one Halo was referencing above. The original B&W.

EW! getting the heebie-jeebies just thinking about it!!!
<S> Easy8
<S> Mac

Offline crockett

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2008, 07:36:54 PM »
Alien and Aliens are still two of my favorites.. I remember I talked my parents into letting me watch Alien when I was a kid. Was a tough sell too on my part, but then I had nightmares for a while. :cry

Alien was made in 1979 and Aliens in 1986 and still hold strong today and don't look too out dated. Both were ahead of their time IMO.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2008, 07:40:03 PM by crockett »
"strafing"

Offline Airscrew

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2008, 07:40:44 PM »
There are only few movies that I thought were scary.
The original "Haunting of Hill House"  that I saw when I was 7 or 8 and "Darkness Falls".    Hill House you never saw a monster or blood, just something in the dark that was there and not there.  Darkness Falls took a twist on the tooth fairy story and she could only get you if you were in the dark.  

I dont think the slasher flicks were all that scary, mostly seemed sort of dumb... "Hey someones going around killing us, lets split up and find him" :rolleyes:   And creature features I like but still, "Hey a blood thirsty creature is running around lets go crawling into dark tunnels and rooms and find it":rolleyes:

Offline lasersailor184

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2008, 09:07:58 PM »
I prefer the standard monster movie, with the biggest monster being the Werewolf.

But above all, I prefer gory B-movies.
Punishr - N.D.M. Back in the air.
8.) Lasersailor 73 "Will lead the impending revolution from his keyboard"

Offline Holden McGroin

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2008, 09:12:10 PM »

All the rest are imitations of the master.
Holden McGroin LLC makes every effort to provide accurate and complete information. Since humor, irony, and keen insight may be foreign to some readers, no warranty, expressed or implied is offered. Re-writing this disclaimer cost me big bucks at the lawyer’s office!

Offline Treize69

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2008, 09:17:03 PM »
Thats one of the scary movies that I never thought was scary. Come to think of it, I've never thought any Hitchcock was scary. Creepy maybe, but not scary.

Then again, even when I was kid I laughed at horror movies, maybe I'm just one of those people who doesn't usually get scared by movies.

I might jump at something, but thats startled- completely different.

I think the only reason that the Facehuggers ever freaked me out was A) they are kind of spider like, and I'm arachnaphobic and B) Its more the idea of something that incapacitates you and lays an egg in you, then holds you down until it matures and lets you up just in time for something to break out of you than the visual from the movie. Thats a horrifying concept to me.

Moartea bolșevicilor.

Offline Holden McGroin

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2008, 09:28:22 PM »
My mother saw it in the theaters when it first came out, wouldn't take a shower without locking the bathroom door for a month.

My dad was a LA Fireman at the time, and one of his firefighter buddies decided it would be funny to surprise his wife with a knife in the shower.  He was surprised that she didn't take it very well.

Scary is in the eye of the beholder I suppose...  Halloween and Friday the 13th movies made me jump, but didn't make me think about them a week later.  Alien was the same.  I was dissapointed when they finally shoed the alien fully and it turned out to be semi humanoid.  I wanted it to be more like a squid.

The scariest movie I ever saw was when I was 5 or 6 yrs old and saw The Wizard of Oz.  When the witch sent her flying monkeys out, that scared the s*** out of little Holden.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2008, 09:31:15 PM by Holden McGroin »
Holden McGroin LLC makes every effort to provide accurate and complete information. Since humor, irony, and keen insight may be foreign to some readers, no warranty, expressed or implied is offered. Re-writing this disclaimer cost me big bucks at the lawyer’s office!

Offline cav58d

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2008, 09:43:33 PM »
Oh American Psycho, Brave American Psycho...It was...A...Laugh riot.
<S> Lyme

Sick Puppies II

412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline lutrel

• Nickel Member
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2008, 09:47:35 PM »
I can't do scary movies or even scary books.  My job is out in the wilderness by myself and very often at night; if you have ever spent much time alone in the wilderness, you already know how spooky it can be at times.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2008, 09:57:37 PM by lutrel »
Lutrel AkA "Lut"
CO ~Avengers~

Offline AWMac

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2008, 09:49:11 PM »
I don't do scary.

Mac

Offline DiabloTX

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2008, 10:02:45 PM »
To this day the only movie that really gets to me is The Exorcist.  No matter how many times I've watched it it still gets to me.  Big time.

Also, on a smaller scale, The Entity freaks the **** out of me as well.
"There ain't no revolution, only evolution, but every time I'm in Denmark I eat a danish for peace." - Diablo