Author Topic: recon  (Read 1313 times)

Offline minke

• Nickel Member
recon
« on: February 06, 2008, 08:28:26 AM »
I've been looking through the search facility before i post (good idea). I'm big on the idea of recon,so what i'm suggesting is to deny nme base info until a recon only plane passes over. Adding a recon spit,shouldnt take too much and putting a town status report on also, would bring some strategy to the game.For those who want their name on the screen,you could have:

****** has completed a recon mission succesfully

Another point i found was to add a catapult seaplane to the cv group.Great idea,so why not use it to put the nme cv location and status on the map for all to see? It could stay visible until it leaves the sector.

possible recon planes

spitfire pr mk XI

pby catalina

kawanishi H8K 'emily'

Letov s.328

Arado ar196

Dornier DO24

Heinkel HE115

not sure about the production rates for these but there is plenty to choose from

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
recon
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2008, 08:35:25 AM »
Spit IX and Ar234 are planes we already have that had photo recon variants.
Personaly I really like the idea - no base strat info updates without a player recon plane "shooting" a recon picture of the base.  It could be a hitscan algorithm using a modified bomb sight, or something simple like that.
Strat info would have something like "Current as of XX:XX" or "as of XX' ago."
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline minke

• Nickel Member
recon
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2008, 08:57:56 AM »
Rather than add a plane,why not add a recon package in the hangar? I know adding a seaplane to the game is more complex,but i feel if the whole concept is kept simple, we can have some strat depth that i know many people want.

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
recon
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2008, 09:13:22 AM »
Recon package?  You wouldn't need to add any planes if the SpitIX and Ar234 had their armaments removed and recon equipment ballast added.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline hubsonfire

• Plutonium Member
recon
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2008, 10:03:37 AM »
I believe the Spit PR planes retained all of their armament, but I could be mistaken.
mook
++Blue Knights++

Proper punctuation and capitalization go a long way towards people paying attention to your posts.  -Stoney
I was wondering why I get ignored so often.  -Hitech

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
recon
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2008, 10:21:35 AM »
It has been asked before, however only about 3 times or so, so it's rather difficult to find.

I do support the, "snap a picture to get info of the field / town." However I do not support the, "fly a recon plane to a CV and it's enemy icon appears on the clipboard map." CV's have a short life expectancy as it is, why bother adding a feature that would make it easier for the LancStukas to fly in and wipe them out twice as fast? In my opinion this feature is unnecessary - and as I have said in the past - might be added to CT for scenarios which require position updates on enemy movement.
Get your Daily Dose of Flame!
FlameThink.com
No. 603 Squadron... Visit us on the web, if you dare.

Drug addicts are always disappointed after eating Pot Pies.

Offline C(Sea)Bass

• Silver Member
recon
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2008, 10:28:08 AM »
Originally posted by Denholm
It has been asked before, however only about 3 times or so, so it's rather difficult to find.

I do support the, "snap a picture to get info of the field / town." However I do not support the, "fly a recon plane to a CV and it's enemy icon appears on the clipboard map." CV's have a short life expectancy as it is, why bother adding a feature that would make it easier for the LancStukas to fly in and wipe them out twice as fast? In my opinion this feature is unnecessary - and as I have said in the past - might be added to CT for scenarios which require position updates on enemy movement.

Also sometimes players mis identify a CV, thinking its Knight when its really rook, and Icon would ruin this, as it helps countries surpise others as well as hiding CV's.

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
recon
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2008, 11:43:24 AM »
I don't see what the problem is.  A recon ID of a ship's location could just show up on the clipboard map as a generic CV icon with a heading arrow under it, or something like that.  That icon wouldn't move from where it was sighted.  There could be a tooltip on mouse-over that'd say how old the info is.

It could even be allowed to put "mission" or something like that on the map if you snapped a shot of a large group of bombers or whatever...  This is the sort of thing that'd have more success at communicating info to a whole country than the country channel which scrolls away pretty quick, sometimes in less than a second.

Low traffic categories like CV report icons (assuming this is the feature's sole mechanic) could have a longer lifetime than something like C47s spotted orbiting away from sight or trying to sneak around a furball to a field, or GVs just out of their spawn heading towards whatever their target is.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
recon
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2008, 01:22:39 PM »
Originally posted by moot
I don't see what the problem is.  A recon ID of a ship's location could just show up on the clipboard map as a generic CV icon with a heading arrow under it, or something like that.  That icon wouldn't move from where it was sighted.  There could be a tooltip on mouse-over that'd say how old the info is...

Once again, the life expectancy of a spotted CV these days is just as good as a fly in a spider's web. Once caught, it rarely gets away. Why bother making it so much easier for pilots to find the Task Group? At least the way its setup now gives the CV defense group a chance to save it's fleet.
Get your Daily Dose of Flame!
FlameThink.com
No. 603 Squadron... Visit us on the web, if you dare.

Drug addicts are always disappointed after eating Pot Pies.

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
recon
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2008, 06:29:45 PM »
Well, I guess that's true.
If the flak was updated to real ballistics instead of box flak, and made more lethal, bombers and planes heading right into the ships would have a harder time hitting them...  Once again suicide/toolshed dweebs get in the way of having fun.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
recon
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2008, 07:44:40 PM »
I am OK with this idea, moot has a good point, right now the puffy ack is useless. Planes get in and out never getting hit, if you make the accuracy on that more lethal, then you could add all these recon ideas in.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline Gowan

• Proation 9/22/2016
  • Nickel Member
recon
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2008, 09:53:27 PM »
:aok :aok :aok

again another great idea that ive always wanted, but am not popular enough to not get shot down in the forums

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
recon
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2008, 10:04:28 PM »
The only thing that'll get you shot down is constantly saying stuff that makes no sense...
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Gowan

• Proation 9/22/2016
  • Nickel Member
recon
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2008, 10:06:08 PM »
like the lancstuka thread?
                    /\
        |
                     |