Author Topic: WWII relatives  (Read 5418 times)

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
WWII relatives
« Reply #45 on: February 08, 2008, 07:05:31 PM »
My father served first in the infantry during WWII although he didn't talk about it much.  Once his service was over, he re-enlisted in the Merchant Marines, where he was an anti-aircraft gunner.  

I've still got one complete round, minus the gunpowder, that he brought home with him.  I don't know what size it is but it's stamped with the numbers 42 and 659 on the bottom of the casing.  The shell (slug) itself is about 3 1/4" long, brass tipped steel and is very heavy for it's size.

Also, one of my brothers was an Army Medic in Korea.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Softail

• Copper Member
WWII relatives
« Reply #46 on: February 08, 2008, 07:40:06 PM »
Had a Great Uncle who was KIA on Jul 6th 1944.   He was part of the 5th Army advance against 4 Divisions of dug in German Troops in Italy.

Prior to that my Great Great Grandfather served in the Pennsylvania 42nd Regiment, Elk County Rifles aka "The Bucktail Regiment".  He survived (obviously) loosing an eye, taking a wound to the neck and then taken prisioner at the "Battle" of Fredricksburg.    Battle is in quotes because it was really a Northern debacle rather than a battle.  

He was part of a prisoner exchange and was mustered out in Jul 1863.

Softail

Offline Redlegs

• Silver Member
WWII relatives
« Reply #47 on: February 08, 2008, 08:11:47 PM »
Originally posted by Redlegs
I am also a relative of one of "Pattons Pimps." He was an Artillery Officer in Patton's Army. I cannot remember his name though.

His name is Col. Carl Hutton. He was the the Divisional Artillery Commander for the 2nd Armoured Division.
Resident Arizona Cardinals/Cincinnati Reds fan

Offline Jack16

• Nickel Member
WWII relatives
« Reply #48 on: February 09, 2008, 11:32:05 AM »
My grandfather was in the 873rd Engineer Avn. Bn., Stationed in the Pacific