Author Topic: Looking for good Ta152 schemes  (Read 3349 times)

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
Looking for good Ta152 schemes
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2008, 03:44:57 AM »
I'm not taking anything for granted.. I'm looking for the best possible theory behind each inconsistency, and the goal is to reach a point where it's solid enough to be accepted as a skin.
I don't have much yet, but I'll try anyway.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Stampf

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2008, 05:28:50 AM »
Fencer,

Funny, a year or two ago, if and when I ever suggested the 11th had Ta's, I was blasted from the bbs.  Now, as more and more of a clearer picture comes out of both Axis and Allied sources, it's now more visible.  Thanks for the support as always.

Moot,

Back to "Black 14".  Much confusion still abounds about this one because of many factors.  Not the least of which is the often amatuer mistaken a late model Dora for a Ta.  Also, late war, "14" was a common id used because the decreasing number of staffeln, corresponding with increasing planes per staffel.  I saw the profile you referenced and I believe it is incorrect.

I still strongly believe it is one of the Stab/JG26 rides. A "one of a kind" Ta152C flown by Classen I think, maybe Katz, maybe both.  

Also I am certain that as I said before,   "they were a formidable pair and getting those 2 or 3 Ta's into the Stab was Major Goetz's doing. He brought those two men to the Stab for the sole purpose of winging together in the Ta."

Still diggin.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2008, 05:30:54 AM by Stampf »
- Der Wander Zirkus -
- La Fabrica de Exitos -

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2008, 02:06:20 PM »
That would match well with everything I've read, Stampf.  But why the JG301 band?  Did this 152C go to '301 and then to '26 without being repainted?  
Maybe this could be relatively easier to track down, there weren't too many 152Cs made.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2008, 02:08:40 PM by moot »
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2008, 02:33:47 PM »
I'd read some time ago (before trying to do any skins) that 2 Ta-152C-0s served alongside the -Hs in the same unit. I doubt "all the time" because they were not geared for high alt, but when the mission didn't call for 30k, I can believe it.

I saw a profile of a 152C-0 that was supposedly flying side by side with the -Hs. It was a scan from a book, but at the time I wasn't saving any of these things so I haven't seen it in ages.

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2008, 02:44:00 PM »
When did missions call for 30k?  They were exceptional from everything I've read..
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2008, 03:04:51 PM »
I just meant missions where the different power curves for the -C and the -H didn't conflict with each other. I just made a number up for expediency's sake.

Offline Stampf

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2008, 06:09:24 PM »
Moot,

No "200ish" Ta152's were ever produced.  The number is between 65 and 70 and most concur that 67 were completed.

That would match well with everything I've read, Stampf. But why the JG301 band? Did this 152C go to '301 and then to '26 without being repainted?

Exactly on the fuse bands!  Just like in the quote by Fencer, and just like the Ta (green4) in the NASM.  Fuse bands are the WORST possible reference when conducting research into late war aircraft.  The WORST.  Reason: Simple.  the Reichsverteidung program failed and was over with by 45.  The units no longer "officially" used the bands to identify themselves, but for many reasons didnt bother to overpaint the bands.  That's why you find planes recovered on the eastern front with Western front fuse bands.  Lack of time, lack of paint, lack of manpower all played into it, not to mention the fluid nature of the fronts in 45.

Look at Fencer's new JG11 190F8 for example A squaddie asked me why the mottling was within the fuse band.  Simple!  Plane was recovered in 45!  Program over, fuse band left to deteriorate, but not purpose removed.  From what I see, you are beginning to look at the Men behind these machines.  I applaud you, that's your best reference pool, and while the research is longer and harder than the usual google search these ijuts do and then post like "experts", the fruits for your labor will be more sweet, and nearer the mark.  

We'll get there.
- Der Wander Zirkus -
- La Fabrica de Exitos -

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2008, 06:10:23 PM »
I saved a copy of the default skin of the Ta-152... Im going to hold off a week or two (wishful thinking... they did the La and Wirbelwind, maybe the 152 is next? :)  )

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2008, 10:11:54 PM »
Originally posted by Krusty
I just meant missions where the different power curves for the -C and the -H didn't conflict with each other. I just made a number up for expediency's sake.

Yeah, but given their situation in those last weeks of war, it really wasn't their luxury to keep a fighter on the ground when it was still functional.  Like the quote I put in my sig says... :)

Fuse bands are the WORST possible reference when conducting research into late war aircraft.
 Thank you Stampf, I didn't know that.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Stampf

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2008, 10:28:50 PM »
Very Welcome.

...and the reverse of course is true as well.  When units recieved airframes previously assigned to a RVD program unit, priority 1 was NOT removing the now "defunct" id. band, and it was common place in the last months of the struggle for units to field planes with mismatched markings.  "Looking good" was the last of the luftwaffe's remaining pilots concerns.  All they thought of was their families, now cut off behind the lines, and where they could possibly fly to in order to escape the russians.

Effective Infrastructure was non existant at this point in the war, and when doing historical research into a time of such utter chaos, you need to look at the men.  Only the men can tell it straight.

Look, these blokes in Wash, London, Paris and Moscow, didn't have a clue in 45 about the "details" of LW operations.  One plane looked liked another...hey must be from that unit.  WRONG.  Might have been at one time, yes, but where that aircraft finished that chaotic rollercoaster ride from hell was often far from where it began.

TA's are the worst too, for the obvious reasons.  Coupled with the above reasons and circumstances, "accurate" accounting is daunting at best.  Find the pilot, find the log, the date, and the unit, and you will find your A\C.
- Der Wander Zirkus -
- La Fabrica de Exitos -

Offline boingg

• Nickel Member
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2008, 07:35:57 PM »
Very well Explained Stampf your enthusiasm and tremendous amount of information has certainly been a help in my research of the history behind the men as you so aptly put it.

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Offline evenhaim

• Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2008, 12:21:18 AM »
mooootttt im terrible at desiphering black and white photos but i ran across a pic of a ta152 on the net(wonderful site) that hasent been posed
http://www.century-of-flight.net/Aviation%20history/photo_albums/timeline/ww2/Focke-Wulf%20Ta%20152.htm
Freez/Freezman
Army of Muppets
I could strike down 1,000 bulletin board accounts in 5 seconds.
You want ownage, I'll give you ownage! -Skuzzy
I intend to live forever - so far, so good.

Offline Xasthur

• Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2008, 09:10:23 AM »
That's a 152C, not the 152H that we have.

Shorter wingspan...
Raw Prawns
Australia

"Beaufighter Operator Support Services"

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2008, 02:16:41 AM »
More likely some sort of prototype. No wing guns, and an inboard pitot tube. Probably a version of the 190D? (just guessing)

Offline Fencer51

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
Re: Looking for good Ta152 schemes
« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2022, 04:00:45 PM »
Bump for Devil505's reference.
Fencer
The names of the irrelevant have been changed to protect their irrelevance.
The names of the innocent and the guilty have not been changed.
As for the innocent, everyone needs to know they are innocent –
As for the guilty… they can suck it.