Author Topic: Unidentified units  (Read 266 times)

Offline Xasthur

• Gold Member
Unidentified units
« on: February 17, 2008, 03:10:37 AM »
I've recently purchased a few books and I've found several excellent colour images of late-war 109s and 190s.

These images are full colour and quite clear... so they're perfect candidates for skinning.

The trouble is that these aircraft have no fuselage bands depicting what geschwader the aircraft belonged to.

The books (which are quite comprehensive) narrow them down to the Western front but cannot provide a unit.

I'll post the images soon in case anyone here can help me narrow it down a little but I'm wondering what the requirements are for this sort of situation.

The aircraft definitely flew in combat and are shown in full colour, so the skins I do should be highly accurate, is it possible for them to be included as something like 'Unknown unit 1944'?
Raw Prawns
Australia

"Beaufighter Operator Support Services"

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
Unidentified units
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2008, 08:21:39 AM »
I don't think 'unknown unit' would be acceptable.    

I'll bet once you post the pics though there are enough talented and knowledgeable Luftwaffe guys that you'll have a reasonable guess as the which unit they represented.

Offline Xasthur

• Gold Member
Unidentified units
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2008, 08:50:19 AM »
I thought that too... The trouble is that this book is very comprehensive and they had no idea.

I'm not sure what to do with this one, it would seem to me that the actual unit designation means very little provided the skin is accurate and depicts a real aircraft that took part in the war.

I'll post the pics anyway and see how we go.
Raw Prawns
Australia

"Beaufighter Operator Support Services"