Author Topic: nose rising  (Read 433 times)

Offline df54

• Copper Member
nose rising
« on: February 17, 2008, 06:40:53 PM »
does anybody have any tips for keeping the nose from rising when aiming.
seems to be really bad in yak. i have trim wheels mapped to rotary switch but still aiming is very difficult also what does trim set key do. does that lock trim wheel settings

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
nose rising
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2008, 07:03:52 PM »
Manually trim elevators down to stabalize the nose.  Amount will depend on speed so if speed keeps increasing you may have to keep trimming.

I never use set trim but I think it locks your trim to it's current settings.  This might be useful if you know you usually fight at a specific speed, or within a specific speed range.  If so then you could get to your optimum speed with combat trim on, then set trim and you're good to go during a fight.  Someone will correct me if I'm wrong.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Odee

• Gold Member
      • 49th Fighter Group
Re: nose rising
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2008, 07:56:35 AM »
Originally posted by df54
does anybody have any tips for keeping the nose from rising when aiming.
seems to be really bad in yak. i have trim wheels mapped to rotary switch but still aiming is very difficult also what does trim set key do. does that lock trim wheel settings
I'll tell you how if you tell me how to set trim wheels to trim.

Secret, turn off combat trim and make sure you're not 'jerking' the trigger.  Stead hand old chap.
~Nobodee~   Get Poached!
Elite: Dangerous ~ Cmd Odeed

http://www.luxlibertas.com/

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
nose rising
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2008, 03:58:14 PM »
If you have "Combat Trim" set on and your nose continues to rise ... then you have an issue with your stick and/or you need to recalibrate it.

"Combat Trim" will always trim your plane for the speed at which you are traveling at. It is constantly adjusting ... so you don't have to.

If you fly with "Combat Trim" off, then it's all on you. As BaldEagl mentioned, if you are doing the trimming, then you have to constantly adjust as your flight speed changes. If you are not doing that ... at the same time you are dog-fighting, then you will notice either nose up or nose down, again, depending upon when you last set the trim and the speed at which you are traveling.

I use "Combat Trim" for every plane except the P-38 ... I manually trim elevator to get the nose up or around just a little quicker when flying it.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
nose rising
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2008, 06:30:50 PM »
I answered the trim set already :)
Originally posted by Murdr
It trims according to your stick input when you press the key.  For instance when you are pushing forward on the stick with a bit of right roll to hold wings level, level flight, and press the trim set key.  It will trim nose down, and right aeliron within trim limits to match the degree of stick input.

In other words, it will adjust trim according to your stick input at the time the trim set key is pressed.

Hint, if you trim for cruising speed, and then leave it set as is....
When you get in a fight, you'll slow down, become slightly nose heavy...
You'll likely slow down more, and get to flap deployment speed, and still be slightly nose heavy after deploying flaps...
Hence, no nose light condition to affect your gunnery.