Author Topic: No vertical stab flying - possible?  (Read 1385 times)

Offline Emu

• Copper Member
No vertical stab flying - possible?
« on: February 26, 2008, 11:58:38 AM »
Not sure whether this is the correct forum; however, I wanted to understand whether it would be at all possible to fly without a vertical stabilizer.  Generally, when I lose the vertical stabilizer, my plane just slowly falls to the ground, almost like a leaf; however, I was in a 109E over the weekend and my vertical stabilizer and rudder (obviously) got shot out. After an initial few seconds of instability, i was able to dive, recover, fly back to base, and land.  I am perplexed.  Anyone experienced this before or has a viable explanation?

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2008, 01:00:14 PM »
I've never been able to fly very long without vertical stabilizers. Sometimes I can keep my wings level long enough to get a few rounds off at the guy who has just BnZ'd me and just overshot, but soon my plane will start sliding left or right and I loose control.

I know its possible to fly without ailerons or elevators. It'll just take more skills.

Offline Mace2004

• Silver Member
      • TrackIR 4.0
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2008, 05:05:17 PM »
Not unless the airplane has some other means to control yaw (think of the B2).  

Some damaged aircraft have been able to make due with heavily damaged vertical stabs, usually multi-engine planes that can use the engines to control yaw but it's highly unusual.  A 109? Nope, ain't gonna happen.
Mace
Golden Gryphon Guild Mercenary Force G3-MF

Offline Emu

• Copper Member
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2008, 05:31:19 PM »
Should this then be reported as a bug? I did turn on my film recorder once I realised I was flying without it.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2008, 05:33:57 PM »
Originally posted by Emu
Should this then be reported as a bug? I did turn on my film recorder once I realised I was flying without it.

Better post that film here first, so we can assess what happened.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline bcadoo

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2008, 08:56:52 PM »
I would say 'possible' although rarely 'doable'

As long as you didn't get too far out of shape you could utilize adverse yaw.
(watch the ball when you make an aileron bank...you have to use pro-turn rudder to counteract the adverse yaw of the down aileron)  The other thing that would affect it is CG.  If you were nose heavy then there would be a natural tendency to go in the 'right' direction.

FYI
The fight is the fun........Don't run from the fun!
"Nothin' cuts the taste of clam juice like a big hunk o' chocolate" - Rosie O'Donnell

Offline Mace2004

• Silver Member
      • TrackIR 4.0
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2008, 11:13:38 PM »
Originally posted by bcadoo
I would say 'possible' although rarely 'doable'

As long as you didn't get too far out of shape you could utilize adverse yaw.
(watch the ball when you make an aileron bank...you have to use pro-turn rudder to counteract the adverse yaw of the down aileron)  The other thing that would affect it is CG.  If you were nose heavy then there would be a natural tendency to go in the 'right' direction.

FYI
Ahhhh...no.  An airplane missing its vertical stabilizer normally has negative static stability unless there is an unusually large amount of aft fuselage depth which could give some small amount of yaw stability.  Once it deviates on that axis, the deviation will continue to increase unless you have some other yaw control such as differential thrust, speedbrakes or spoilers to apply a counter yaw moment. As the airplane yaws, dihedral will cause a roll which will rapidly overcome your aileron power and the airplane will go down.  Adverse yaw in an attempted turn is actually one of those things that will cause a deviation, it will not "fix" it.  CG has little effect in the yaw axis with the exception of the landing rollout (think ground loops here).
Mace
Golden Gryphon Guild Mercenary Force G3-MF

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2008, 07:49:28 AM »
I landed (ditched) an A-20 without the vertical slab not to long ago (think I have the clip somewhere). If you realize that your missing the slab you have a brief window in which you can stabalize things to a degree by rolling into the torque a bit and then balancing the torque vs the "lean" and going glider before it gets out of hand. I dont know how you could actually fly under power however except at very reduced power settings...

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline Emu

• Copper Member
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2008, 09:09:07 AM »
I could email or PM the film to someone who can then post it... I dont have a subscription to any free hosting site where I can post.  Any takers?

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2008, 09:16:29 AM »
Originally posted by Emu
I could email or PM the film to someone who can then post it... I dont have a subscription to any free hosting site where I can post.  Any takers?

You don't need subscriptions on most of those sites.
For example: http://www.mediafire.com
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2008, 09:50:23 AM »
Originally posted by Mace2004
Some damaged aircraft have been able to make due with heavily damaged vertical stabs, usually multi-engine planes that can use the engines to control yaw but it's highly unusual.  

Perhaps the most famous:  http://www.talkingproud.us/HistoryB52NoTail.html

- oldman

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2008, 10:06:22 AM »
Originally posted by Oldman731
Perhaps the most famous:  http://www.talkingproud.us/HistoryB52NoTail.html

- oldman
:O

Thank you for sharing!
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline B@tfinkV

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2008, 02:44:21 AM »
this happened to me once when i was dueling snap hook in a 109e. the rudder makes up a large area of the tail fin. when you lose rudder it looks like the vert stab it gone but there is a small section left. unless it definitely came up as vert stab in the damage report my geuss it you only lost your rudder.
 400 yrds on my tail, right where i want you... [/size]

Offline manurin

• Nickel Member
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2008, 04:20:40 AM »
As Bat says, big difference between rudder out (u can still come home), and the vertical stab out (u go right in the tower).
71 "Eagle" Squadron RAF

Offline Emu

• Copper Member
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2008, 09:58:47 AM »
I'll post the film later today. :aok