Author Topic: A question on Zazen's osti method  (Read 616 times)

Offline IronDog

• Nickel Member
A question on Zazen's osti method
« on: February 26, 2008, 07:16:26 PM »
I thank Zazen for his time and effort to help people with the osti.I have a problem with zooming clear in to facilitate his instructions.I can't see the target on deflection shots because being zoomed in all the way won't let you.I'm able to connect on incoming straightaway shots sometimes,but the full zoom limits me there as well.I will be thankful for any help on the matter.I would at this time like to mention the fact that when I was flying with the Nightmares and Zazen started his AH career with us,I put him on to the fact you could put the mouse cursor on the sight and page it up etc.I'm proud of the fact Zazen became such a feared gunner.Oh!,I was flying under my old AW cpid at the time Zaz.Now if I could only put his instructions to work.
IronDog

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2008, 07:06:27 AM »
:O

Offline IronDog

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2008, 10:55:29 AM »
Surely someone can give me a little help.Max's cartoon answer wasn't very helpful.
IronDog

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2008, 11:10:27 AM »
I'm not exactly sure what you mean by it won't let you see the target on deflection shots but I suspect you are "in the gunsight".

Use the up arrow to lift your head above the turret, zoom in fully and lead a crossing target so that it's at the far edge of your display.  Depending on distance to or speed of the target, the lead may be slightly less.  Also, your tracer stream needs to be slightly above the target (see next paragraph).  Again, more or less depending on distance.

For straight-on shots coming toward or going away from you, get back in the gunsight with full zoom.  At 2K (about maximum hitting distance), bullet drop will be approximately 1/4 of the sight circle (1/2 the distance from the dot to the bottom of the circle) for a level target.  For diving targets try level with the dot and for climbing targets try the bottom of the circle.

This should get you close.  Practice will get you the rest of the way.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline kilz

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2008, 11:30:43 AM »
what he means is when you zoom all the way in and lead the target like zazen said you dont see the Air Craft.

IronDog the best thing for you to do is hit the TA with someone and find a good zoom for you and work on ranging your target. if you see me around just send me a prv message and i would be happy to help you out.
Former LTARkilz

R.I.P 68KO, TailSpin, Maj1Shot, Prop31st, SWfire, rodders, Vega, easy8, 11Bravo, AWMac, GMC31st, Stoliman, WWhiskey

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2008, 12:20:40 PM »
I have the same trouble. With the view zoomed all the way in the target "should" be on the edge of your screen.  Between leading too much, and having to reacquire the target, and my stick being set sensitive that being in that tight has me jumping all over the place.

I wish you could edit the sites in panzers for much the same reason, I still have a hard time with ranging targets.

If anyone comes up with a way to teach us "old dogs" a new trick or two, we be really ! :D

Offline IronDog

• Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2008, 01:28:35 PM »
yes Kilz hit it right on the head.Zoom in all the way,you can't see target as it is off screen.What I have done to combat this,is not zooming all the way in.I guess thats why I don't hit much on deflection shots.I've actually not zoomed in at all,and hit some targets.One more thing I've done is pick a building as a target,and move my cursor to where it hits on the building.This seems to work best for me.If left alone,you will notice the osti will hit low and left of desired target.That being said,it's all a game of guesstamation,and some have became very skilled at it.The same people are usually good shots in aeroplanes as well.Thanks to all that helped me.
IronDog

Offline Solar10

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2008, 01:35:06 PM »
When I'm in an osti I am continually zooming in and out.
~Hells Angels~
Solar10

Offline Sketch

• Silver Member
      • http://www.arabian-knights.org
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2008, 06:23:36 PM »
Originally posted by Solar10
When I'm in an osti I am continually zooming in and out.

No zoom here in the osti gun... works fine for me. :D
~Sketch~//~Arabian Knights~
Sketch's Gunsight Collection 2008
Sketchworks Arabian Knights Soundpack
~Oderint Dum Metuant~

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2008, 01:11:06 AM »
depends on the distance for me.

If they are close say 1.5, 1.0 k  I will not use zoom.   I can see the tracers just fine.   Farther out when the bullet fades into oblivian I will zoom it.

Those shots are going to be "special ones"  I'm sure Zazen hits a good % of those 2k + shots but for the average Joe it ain't gonna happen unless you practice like a shaolin Monk.

Just like everything else in this damned game.
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2008, 06:33:10 AM »
Come to the TA, bring a friend, go to any field but A1 (GV's disabled there)

Up an osty, get your friend to up a plane.

Control Tab (enable friendly lock)

Point gunsight at him, hit tab, you now have the LCG (lead computing gunsight)

Get him to make passes directly at you, then slowly start making passes off to the side. You'll learn its not hard at all to hit in the ostie if they are comeing AT you. Leading them from the side its trickier, but doable. Its more about learning how far they are so you can estimate lead.

PS I don't zoom all the way in either, but I do get my head up above the osty sight.

Pull osti sight up so you have clean background. Put mouse pointer tip so its right on the center dot. Hit H to lock mouse. Page up max and save view.
If you need to recenter, just hit home, you'll be back to default gunsight view.

Now CALIBRATE this by picking water tower, building, shed, tree about 1k out.

Put the mouse pointer on target, fire 3 - 5 rounds and see where they hit.
If they are centered on the tip of the pointer you good to go. If not, home key, unlock mouse and adjust.

Offline kilz

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2008, 12:52:57 PM »
Originally posted by Ghosth
Pull osti sight up so you have clean background. Put mouse pointer tip so its right on the center dot. Hit H to lock mouse. Page up max and save view.

you can do this easyer by hitting home key and putting mouse arrow on center point of cross hairs and hit the H key to lock it in place this gives you the true center.
Former LTARkilz

R.I.P 68KO, TailSpin, Maj1Shot, Prop31st, SWfire, rodders, Vega, easy8, 11Bravo, AWMac, GMC31st, Stoliman, WWhiskey

Offline stroker71

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2008, 02:15:32 PM »
When I spawn in I start my engine then jump to #2 position and adjust my cursor and zoom.  That way when your engine is started up and ready to roll your ready to shoot!  I only zoom about half the full distance btw.  But I allways zoom the same everytime.... consistency is your friend.
Back to DuHasst
Here since tour 84
Quote by Uptown "It's one thing to play the game...quite another to live there."