Author Topic: How about this for a variant...  (Read 920 times)

JFalk

How about this for a variant...
« on: March 20, 2000, 04:31:00 PM »
The Mustang III, it was a P-51B or P-51C with a "Malcolm Hood" which was the hood used on the Spitfires.

Basically we would have the P-51 with a Spitfire hood and a late war RAF paint job.

Sounds pretty simple huh? please  

I am biased since I belong to a RAF sqn.  

John Falkowski
F/S Falkowsk
303 (Polish) Squadron "City of Cracow" RAF

JFalk

« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2000, 04:34:00 PM »
darn it, make that 308 sqn, getting mixed up

funked

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2000, 07:35:00 PM »
How about a Spitfire Mk. XVI LF with bubble canopy and ZF tail code?  

Offline Sundog

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2000, 11:12:00 PM »
If he gets the RAF Mustang, then we need to get the USAAF Spits!   JK..lol. I wouldn't mind seeing a P-51B or C though with the Malcolm hood. Also, I recently read an article that said some pilots stuck with their P-51C models over the D, due the fact that the 51C was faster. I had never heard this, but it makes sense as the C wouldnt have the flow seperation problems caused by the bubble.  Of course, what price SA?

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2000, 07:51:00 AM »

YES!!!

Offline Vermillion

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2000, 10:09:00 AM »
If your gonna ask for a British Mustang, why not ask for the original Allison powered P-51 (Mustang Ia) that was armed with x4 20mm cannons?

That would be my choice  

------------------
Vermillion
**MOL**, Men of Leisure
Carpe Jugulum
"Real Men fly Radials, Nancy Boys fly Spitfires"

funked

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2000, 04:41:00 PM »
Vermillion - we will soon have the Typhoon which out performed the Mustang Mk. IA and had the same armament.

As Sundog pointed out, the Mustang Mk. III outperformed the Mustang Mk. IV.  IMHO it looked cooler too.  We want that.  

Also there were only about 60 Mustangs built with the 4-cannon armament.  And honestly I prefer fifties.

Offline Vermillion

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2000, 06:48:00 PM »
  So basically you want a P-51B with a bubble canopy ? With only x4 .50's it would take an above average shot to get much outta one, but if thats what you want, sure I don't mind, after we get about 2-3 (each)more of both Russian and Japanese fighers.  

According to AHT, there were 150 of the Mustang I's with the x4 cannons manufactured, 93 which went to the British, and 55 of which were later converted to Merlin powered F-6A's, recon variants.

The Mustang III, had 1,988 aircraft produced, of which 308 were sent to the British, and most of them were converted to Malcom hoods.

150 vs. 308, I don't think I would consider either of them very high on the production list  

------------------
Vermillion
**MOL**, Men of Leisure
Carpe Jugulum
"Real Men fly Radials, Nancy Boys fly Spitfires"

Offline Cleaner

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.msn.com
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2000, 11:24:00 PM »
woof