Author Topic: Planes of AH and how to handle them question  (Read 644 times)

Offline A8TOOL

• Silver Member
      • http://fdrs.org/banking_history.html
Planes of AH and how to handle them question
« on: March 06, 2008, 02:26:08 PM »
I wrote this in the Ki-84 help thread that got me thinking about all the rest of the planes. I know how to manage some of them but there are many I do not fly. The 109's and 190 for instance. I normally like to fly planes that turn well but also have some of the characteristics of a B&Z Plane like the 51. I do like the 109f and the 190A5 though.

For the Ki I wrote:Some planes are flap driven, others rudder or throt. This plane seems to handle best for me using a combination of all three in this order of importance. throt, rudder, flaps. Get off that throt early and or cut rpms before the fight and wep on to set it back to full power.

Other planes I could list in this way would be:

F4U4's flaps are the most important, then rudder and throt

Spit 8, 9 and 16 all need throttle management most of all

P38's seem to be an equal combination of all three and one of the harder planes to master. I use it well as a jabo but lack the coordination or know how to use it as a fighter only. It is one i would like to practice more at. I also feel that having two throttles, one for each engine may be how some of the best manage this particular plane. Hammerheads and reversals seem to always kill me in the hands of an experienced pilot.

The German planes like the 109 seem to use rudder more than anything else to maneuver well in a fight. The 190's I'm unsure of although I do like the 109f and the 190A5 but the rest are a mystery.

The Niki does not need much attention from any to do well but throttle management might be first on list.

If anyone would like to try and categorize the planes in this way it may be of help to others like myself who want to fly them better. It should give us a pretty good first hint on how to handle  each of them when we take them up anyway.

Here is a post where I copied and pasted WideWings advise to all on each specific plane that might help some of us as well.  The link should work, just click on it http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,222134.msg2684107.html#msg2684107
« Last Edit: March 06, 2008, 03:41:27 PM by A8TOOL »

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
Re: Planes of AH and how to handle them question
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2008, 02:50:50 PM »
I don't think what you're asking for is useful as throttle, rudder and flaps are each used for different reasons, and each is equally important for the reason that you're using it.

For instance, throttle is generally used to control closure rates allowing you to position properly for a shot (or avoid an overshoot), while rudder is used to improve roll rates and flaps are used to improve turn radius.  Obviously, there are other uses, but when you look at these differences, it's hard to say one is more important than another.

I guess what you're really asking is what planes are bad at what and need control input to compensate for their defficiency?
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Yossarian

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2008, 03:47:18 PM »
If what you're asking for is a guide on how to be successful in a certain plane, I'd also like to second this request.  I've always wanted to get good at using Jugs, Spitfires and the A-20.

<S>

Yossarian
Afk for a year or so.  The name of a gun turret in game.  Falanx, huh? :banana:
Apparently I'm in the 20th FG 'Loco Busters', or so the legend goes.
O o
/Ż________________________
| IMMA FIRIN' MAH 75MM!!!
\_ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2008, 08:11:14 AM »
The problem is that you dont have a "universal" correct answer for any plane. All planes require use of throttle, flaps & rudder to maximize potential. Most 1 on 1 combat involves "dissimiliar" planes and a plane is classified as double superior, single superior or double inferior. Most good ACM is predicated on these classifications. A plane that is faster then you and can out turn you is considered double superior...basically you cant run and you cant out turn him. The flip side is that if your in the double superior plane you entirely control the fight.

ACM is the great equalizer and ACM is controlled by your control surfaces and your speed. As a general rule "out of plane" E fighting is considered the highest form of ACM and is the real secret to planes like the 38, Jug and A-20. The spitfire is an inherently more deadly angles fighter and is more throttle dependent since it retains E very well (often to well). So while a 38, ju or A-20 driver is looking to create and exploit a differential in E state the spitty driver often benifits from forcing a sustained turning fight that utilizes the planes inate abilities. One reason that spitty and la-7 drivers are derided is the inate abilities the planes have. The flip side is many spit/la-7 drivers have less experience and understanding in managing a fight and are somewhat vulnerable to a superior pilot in a "lesser" plane.

This is a subject way to complex for "writeups" since its so situation/plane specific. What works in one scenario gets you killed in another....even vs the same plane match up. This is really hitting solidly at the more advanced concepts of ACM and is why the great training staff here is so invaluable...
« Last Edit: March 07, 2008, 08:12:54 AM by humble »

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline A8TOOL

• Silver Member
      • http://fdrs.org/banking_history.html
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2008, 05:08:55 PM »
Actually I was looking for this type of information. I'll be searching for more and might even compile as much as i can of it and paste it here. Every plane has it's major dependency. For the ki and the fast spits it's throttle management, rudder movement comes in second and flaps on occasion IMO. The F4U's and 38's seem to be dependent on flaps to maneuver properly in order to get kills and avoid the bad guys. The 109's i think use rudder movement to make those incredible reversals and wide hanging nose down assaults that I seem to have trouble countering unless they get slow.<<<Plantano was good at that.

Ack-Ack
Platinum Member

Flaps!
Ğ Reply #12 on: April 28, 2004, 01:59:27 AM ğ
   Reply with quoteQuote
Well, probably out of all the fighters in AH, the P-38 is the most dependent on the flaps.  I know you already know this but the P-38 is surprisingly nimble at slow speeds due to its flaps.  Get a P-38 pilot that is good and he can dance with a Spitfire or N1K2 all day long and that's because the pilot knows how to work the flaps.  That's why I say if you want to learn how to use the flaps properly in combat situations, the P-38 is the best plane to do it in.  Lessons learned in the P-38 will carry over to other planes.

ack-ack

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2008, 05:33:47 PM »
If what you're asking for is a guide on how to be successful in a certain plane, I'd also like to second this request.  I've always wanted to get good at using Jugs, Spitfires and the A-20.

In case you weren't aware of it go here http://members.shaw.ca/soda_p/models.htm for the basics.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2008, 02:26:43 PM »

P38's seem to be an equal combination of all three and one of the harder planes to master. I use it well as a jabo but lack the coordination or know how to use it as a fighter only. It is one i would like to practice more at. I also feel that having two throttles, one for each engine may be how some of the best manage this particular plane. Hammerheads and reversals seem to always kill me in the hands of an experienced pilot.

Dual throttles won't give you any real benefits other than making some spins easier to get out of (this can be done without a dual throttle by just mapping both engine on/off commands to your stick) and make hammerheads and wingovers nice and pretty looking.  I used to use a dual throttle when I first started AH and after a couple of months went back to my single Pro Throttle, I never saw any tangible benefits to having a dual throttle.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song