Author Topic: Unofficial Dueling Rules  (Read 1843 times)

Offline jerkins

• Nickel Member
Unofficial Dueling Rules
« on: March 06, 2008, 07:00:41 PM »
I am by no means the last word on this (or the expert, or the old timer), but this is how I thinks Dueling should go down.  Please add to this or suggest changes that you see necessary.

1.  Same Plane, Same load out-this involves fuel, guns, even ords if you choose.

2.  An Alt cap until first merge should be agreed upon before in the air-example: alt cap is 5k, then no climbing above 5k until visual       -------confirmation.

3.  Roll from runway at same time-this is just to keep weight from fuel as close to equal as possible.

4.  No HO's-some would say only no HO's on first pass, but no HO's period leads to longer, betters fights.
-------What is a HO:  A shot is considered head on if both pilots have a gun solution.  As a rule, when in doubt, don't fire.

5.  No External views-No viewing from F3 mode.

6.  Once a visual is achieved, acknowledge it on text.  When both pilots acknowledge a visual, feel free to dive, or climb if you like. If -------both pilots do not acknowledge visual, then both pilots separate and try again.

7.  Extending should be limited to 30 seconds (stole this from KOTH rules)- A pilot may extend, but after 30 seconds it is considered -------running and should result in a forfeit.

Hmm, there is a lot more that could be added here but i would have to think for a bit. feel free to add. 

Jerkins
Strike Bandits
B~Smooth Xtreme Racing

Offline RATTFINK

• Gold Member
Re: Unofficial Dueling Rules
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2008, 07:02:48 PM »
How long have thou playith?
Hitting trees since tour 78

Offline Xargos

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2008, 07:03:39 PM »
These are the rules that many of my friends agree upon as standard.  This was also posted in Adonai's thread.

Bragging Right Rules

One-versus-One Standard Bout Rules:

• If you challenge someone, he has the choice of the first round plane set.
  • The fuel will be 25% unless otherwise stated as being a handicap for a particular contestant.
  • If someone loses a wing, tail, or engine, the round is over.
  • Only two guys to a dog fight.
  • Only one dog fight at a time.
  • The winner of a round has the choice of the next plane set.
  • Both contestants must get a fresh plane before the next round.
  • The bout winner will be best out of five rounds.
  • Rounds must start Co Alt and Co E before the initial merge.  This means no going above the agreed altitude before the initial merge in order to gain more E then your opponent, but you may dive under your opponent once you are in icon range.
  • No Head-Ons on the initial merge.
  • No rams.
  • If you get more then 2K from your opponent while your plane’s nose is pointed away from him, you lose that round.  If both contestants are nose away, that round is forfeit.  This includes altitude.
  • Any modifications of the Standard Bout Rules must be noted in text upon take-off of the first round, and both contestants must agree in text before the initial merge of the first round.  This includes any fuel handicaps.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2008, 07:08:08 PM by Xargos »
Jeffery R."Xargos" Ward

"At least I have chicken." 
Member DFC

Offline jerkins

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2008, 07:46:06 PM »
rules look good xargos.

Ive been playing about 1.5 years now.  still relatively new to many.
Jerkins
Strike Bandits
B~Smooth Xtreme Racing

Offline Xargos

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2008, 07:52:29 PM »
Jerkins, I've heard from many that you're an honest player.
Jeffery R."Xargos" Ward

Member DFC

Offline RATTFINK

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2008, 07:56:09 PM »
rules look good xargos.

Ive been playing about 1.5 years now.  still relatively new to many.

Cool!!

Welcome
Hitting trees since tour 78

Offline Squire

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2008, 08:07:04 PM »
Looks fair.
Warloc
Friday Squad Ops CM Team
1841 Squadron Fleet Air Arm
Aces High since Tour 24

Offline EskimoJoe

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2008, 08:22:54 PM »
How long have thou playith?
thou hath probably playeth two dayeths
Put a +1 on your geekness atribute  :aok

Offline Blooz

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2008, 08:37:12 PM »
Why not you bring your best plane and loadout, I'll bring my best plane and loadout. You kill me and you win and if I kill you, I win.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2y87EaadjqM
White 9
JG11 Sonderstaffel

"You can't vote your way out of communism."

Offline Kermit de frog

• Gold Member
      • LGM Films
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2008, 09:22:43 PM »
Jerkins, I've heard from many that you're an honest player.

Run away from this guy.  Run as fast as you can!

:D
Time's fun when you're having flies.

Offline FiLtH

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2008, 09:38:02 PM »
   Ive always thought of 1 on 1 fights between 2 guys who have fought before, and trust eachother to fight fair, and similar, to be jousts. A fight between strangers or those without much history with eachother should be called a duel.

That said, a joust could be tailored between the two combatants,setting up the situation.

The duel should be same planes, 25% gas, no ords. Other than that no restrictions. That way the duel begins at the roll.

~AoM~

Offline Xargos

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2008, 09:38:22 PM »
Run away from this guy.  Run as fast as you can!

:D

:P
Jeffery R."Xargos" Ward

Member DFC

Offline Sloehand

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2008, 04:11:50 AM »
The best, most realistic and USEFUL set of rules for dueling would be:

Friends for a friendly duel, settle on any ground rules you like, in advance.

Otherwise-
for Ego-antagonist Duels:

Plane of choice
Any loadout.
Both pilots rollout at the same time directly towards the center of the 2-base dueling area.
Must fly straight from base towards the CENTER of the intersection of the radar circles, at any speed or altitude (may dive or climb), but may NOT diverge from a straight flight path until having crossed into the intersection area.  Any deviation incurs immediate forfeit.
Once an aircraft moves into the intersection area, it is free to maneuver in any direction, at any speed or altitude, anywhere WITHIN the intersected area.
If first to reach intersection, must stay within the intersected area until opponent has entered the intersected area, afterwhich there are no flight restrictions with the exception of the following:
Must stay in the square land area at all times, passing over any sea area incurs immediate forfeit.
Must stay well clear of friendly base and town at all times, or incurs forfeit. 
Jagdgeschwader 77

"You sleep safe in your beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do you harm."  - George Orwell
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Benjamin Franklin

Offline Gianlupo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2008, 05:13:59 AM »
Why not you bring your best plane and loadout, I'll bring my best plane and loadout. You kill me and you win and if I kill you, I win.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2y87EaadjqM

Thanks Blooz! I've watched that movie so much time ago... I didn't remember that scene :)

As for the topic, I think the rules Xargos posted (which, btw, are in substance the standard accepted ones) are the best for a duel.
Live to fly, fly to live!

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2008, 07:28:20 AM »
I have to agree with Xargos 100%.

For a true duel, dueling ladder type competitions, etc, Xargos has nailed the rules to a tee.
Back when I was working my way up Defts H2H ladder in 96 they didn't have the 2k rule. But I can certainly see the reason for its inclusion.

Basic duel as Xargos pointed out

Same plane, Same alt, Same E, Same Fuel, cold pass first merge, after that its up to pilot skill.
Film should be on, everything should be agreed to before either guy hits the runway.

Now, thats not to say that the DA can't be used to recreate an engagement that occurred in one of the arenas for the purpose of settling an argument.  In which case you could have diff planes, diff alts, etc. But I wouldn't call that a duel.

Anything that doesn't put both pilots in the same place nose to nose with the same setup so that the only deciding factor is pilot skill. Is in my opinion, not a duel at all. Any set of rules that let one pilot manipulate the setup to gain an advantage, is just that. Someone who knows or fears they can't win in a straight up fight. So they must manipulate the environment in order to win.