Author Topic: Suicide bombers and why  (Read 10739 times)

Offline NCLawman

• Nickel Member
Re: Suicide bombers and why
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2008, 06:10:12 AM »
"The game is about aerial combat and that takes precedence to everything else." - Pyro

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,9645.0.html

So, are we implying that a bombing mission or attacking a CV is not combat?

I only ask becuase, I want to make sure I have the same rule book as everyone else.  It cuts down on confusion and complaints.
Jeff / NCLawMan (in-game)

Those who contribute the least to society, expect the most from it.

Light travels faster than sound.  This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Offline NOT

• Nickel Member
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2008, 06:35:56 AM »
<<<<<<<<<<<DA......that direction ;)

if all you want to do is furball, there is a specific arena for that.

NOT

AKNOT

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2008, 06:39:05 AM »
Two Things:

1) You can protect a carrier by establishing a bomber cap.

2) Every pilot is not interested in a great furball, some do enjoy the combat involved in attack sorties.
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline WMLute

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2008, 06:48:16 AM »
If LVT's are in the water (for that matter, m3's and c47's otw), the nme CV is fair game.

If the town is flat, the nme CV is fair game.

But I feel your pain Bodhi.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2008, 08:40:52 AM by WMLute »
"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."
— George Patton

Absurdum est ut alios regat, qui seipsum regere nescit

Offline Overlag

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2008, 06:50:04 AM »
Ya know, we'd been having a good fight for the better part of an hour with a bish CV off of a rook base.  Just the kind of great fighter fest that really grabs you and immerses you in the game.  My squaddies and I were all having an absolute blast as were many of the rook pilots.  Then, the inevitable happens when some dilrod had to come with dive bombing B-17's and sink the cv.  WTF for?  We were all having a good time and not trying to take your gdamn base!  We just wanted a good furball.

********, did it make you feel cool that you ruined a fight that 30 plus people were enjoying?  I bet you were the kid that was never picked for a team at recess and crap like that is your only way of getting attention.  Let me guess, you used to snatch the baseball and run off with it too, right?

Crap like this is why the ack on cv's and bases needs to be super hardcore.  That way one imbecile can not ruin the fun for 30 plus people.

:mad:

probably because some of you guys having "fun" was porking there base ready for base capture? The B17 was defending his base...

just because you are having a nice furball doesnt mean a few other players on YOUR side aint attacking the base.
Adam Webb - 71st (Eagle) Squadron RAF Wing B
This post has a Krusty rating of 37

Offline Overlag

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2008, 06:55:54 AM »
Much as I understand the anger and annoyance when something enjoyable in the game gets disrupted for what seems like no good reason, I think this kind of complaint is actually rather self-centered, arrogant and small-minded, if you really think about it.

Why?  Because it purports to trash someone else's gameplay and accuse them of spoiling your fun, as if you (and any so engaged with you) are the only ones who's fun matters.  You are, in a sense, stating your way of playing is the only way of playing and shame on someone for ruining your fun by not valuing the same type of gameplay.  Boo hoo.

Assuming you don't know that the person involved was 'specifically' out to annoy you personally or anyone else, then you should be bright enough to realize that this game as gone way past just Furball Fun House.  There are just as many who enjoy strategic gameplay as much as you enjoy individual fighter combat.  In fact, I'm sure their are several variations on each and every theme of gameplay possible: fighter  furballer, team toolshedder, high-alt buff driver, GV/tanker putz, ego-stroking scorepotato or whatever other type of play and interest this game has to offer.  Nobody has it "right" or has an exclusive lock on "how the game should be played".

In spite of any contention that this is a 'fighter simulation game first', nobody signed any contract to only play by furballer's rules and HiTech certainly isn't passing any worthwhile judgement by 'kicking the toolshedders out'.  With 300-400 playing in the same playpen, you had better dam well expect to have your private little war interupted eventually, if not regularly.  Nobody is really playing the game on the same page at any point in time, and complaining about is equivalent to throwing a baby tantrum.  And just as mature and productive.  It's getting really, really old.

Yes, it's unfortunate that a group of player's special fun got distrupted, especially as such enjoyable moments seem fewer and further between of late.  However, that doesn't mean anyone wants to hear such self-serving, self-centered, poorly considered whining and bashing.

We now return you to our regularly scheduled programming still in progress - Romper Room.

first class reply... WELL SAID
Adam Webb - 71st (Eagle) Squadron RAF Wing B
This post has a Krusty rating of 37

Offline BansheCH

• Nickel Member
      • CM SnapShot Team
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2008, 07:09:41 AM »
Ya know, we'd been having a good fight for the better part of an hour with a bish CV off of a rook base.  Just the kind of great fighter fest that really grabs you and immerses you in the game.  My squaddies and I were all having an absolute blast as were many of the rook pilots.  Then, the inevitable happens when some dilrod had to come with dive bombing B-17's and sink the cv.  WTF for?  We were all having a good time and not trying to take your gdamn base!  We just wanted a good furball.

********, did it make you feel cool that you ruined a fight that 30 plus people were enjoying?  I bet you were the kid that was never picked for a team at recess and crap like that is your only way of getting attention.  Let me guess, you used to snatch the baseball and run off with it too, right?

Crap like this is why the ack on cv's and bases needs to be super hardcore.  That way one imbecile can not ruin the fun for 30 plus people.

:mad:

I don't care if I saw the Disney cruise ship offshore. I would sink it for sure.
-BansheCH
~364TH FG CHAWKS~
AcesHigh Special Events

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2008, 07:12:43 AM »
I'm with Sloehand all the way on this one.

Fights and furballs constantly shift for a variety of reasons. This guy didn't kill your fleet just so he could tick you off. Its this attitude that has virtually eliminated bombers from the game. You wonder why all the newbs lancstuka, its because you drove all the GOOD bomber pilots away.

Offline Xargos

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2008, 07:29:01 AM »
All I see leaving are the good fighter sticks, arena seems full of people who only care about score.  I find it pathetic that people are worried about seeing their names in lights in the DA now.
Jeffery R."Xargos" Ward

"At least I have chicken." 
Member DFC

Offline thndregg

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2008, 07:45:02 AM »
I sink a lot of CV's. I've been asked to sink a lot of CV's by my fellow Bishops. I enjoy it. On the "dive-bomb with B17's" bit, I agree, it's a bit cheesy. BUT, planes diving in that low are easier to go after and kill.
CV's are defendable, even at 8K, which is where you will find my B26's coming in at to sink them.

I would suggest that if you want to keep your CV floating so that you may continue to have fun in fighters, bear in mind that someone invariably will come in on an attempt to sink it. Killing bombers are kills as well as killing fighters. It doesn't take much for the CV defenders to fly defensive cap over the CV and intercept enemy bombers. I know this works because I've gotten my butt shot down by the best of them, either by good ship gunnery or by those that choose to think ahead and watch for bombers.
Former C.O. 91st Bombardment Group (Heavy)
"The Ragged Irregulars"

Offline zilla

• Copper Member
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2008, 08:10:15 AM »
Two Things:

1) You can protect a carrier by establishing a bomber cap.

2) Every pilot is not interested in a great furball, some do enjoy the combat involved in attack sorties.

yep
Copper is proper

Offline zilla

• Copper Member
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2008, 08:12:52 AM »
If LVT's are in the water (for that matter, m3's and c47's otw), the nme CV is fair game.

If the town is flat, the nme CV is fair game.

But I feel your pain Bodhi.

hey
neat! what do all these buttons up
here
do?

methinks
[/glow]
this
one
will
soon
get
disabled

yep
Copper is proper

Offline brucerer

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.miraclehat.net
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2008, 08:19:18 AM »
"The game is about aerial combat and that takes precedence to everything else." - Pyro

Aerial combat. Not neccesarilly air to air combat.

Edit - oh look theres a page two.. and i thought i was getting in early, dang it.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2008, 08:22:37 AM by brucerer »

Offline Blammo

• Nickel Member
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2008, 08:27:05 AM »
All I see leaving are the good fighter sticks, arena seems full of people who only care about score.  I find it pathetic that people are worried about seeing their names in lights in the DA now.

And this is different from...when?  As long as I have known about this game this has been the case.  I don't see how anything is suddenly different or that people bombing FHs or CVs is changing anything.  If people are leaving because of that, then they have their own issues.  Many I hate to have seen go, but life is like that.  Don't think you can lay that at the feet of the bomber and attack pilots any more that they could say fighter jocks and furballers are ruining the game.  By definition, that is the game.

As Slo said (to paraphrase), anyone whining about someone killing the FH or CV and ruining their fun is pretty self centered and egotistical.  Last I checked, everyone was paying the same $15 a month for the priviledge of playing here.  I agree their is a difference in the effect of a plane killing plane versus plane killing FH or CV, but them's the brakes, kid.  If HTC did not want it that way, they would not have coded it that way.  I understand your frustration, but this is something you need to take up with HTC, not the other players that are simply doing what they are allowed to do.

By the way. aerial combat is as much about air to ground as about air to air.

Anyway, <S>
BLAMM0 - FACTA, NON VERBA!

Offline Xargos

• Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2008, 08:32:43 AM »
I'm taking it up with HTC by posting here.  What do you think the BBS is for?
Jeffery R."Xargos" Ward

"At least I have chicken." 
Member DFC