Author Topic: Need help with F4U  (Read 589 times)

Offline angelsandair

• Gold Member
      • RT Website
Need help with F4U
« on: March 08, 2008, 12:52:30 AM »
I want the F4U to be my MA plane now. I like the hurri 2c but it isnt a challange when i dogfight anymore. So could any trainer help me with the F4U?
I need help on when to control my flaps and what not. I learned a whole bunch in the DA (thnx AirFool) but I still dont think it's enough.

~1pLUs44
Goto Google and type in "French military victories", then hit "I'm feeling lucky".
Here lie these men on this sun scoured atoll,
The wind for their watcher, the wave for their shroud,
Where palm and pandanus shall whisper forever,
A requiem fitting for heroes

Offline EskimoJoe

• Platinum Member
Re: Need help with F4U
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2008, 01:32:54 AM »
Just fly it and learn by trial and error. Eventually it will come naturally to you.
Put a +1 on your geekness atribute  :aok

Offline Vipper65

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2008, 04:51:48 AM »
Practice, practice and then practice some more.
Viper
"If you're in a fair fight, you didn't plan it properly."

VF-17 Jolly Rogers, 52ND Fighter Group

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2008, 07:11:18 PM »
Keep her faster at first. 300mph is a good speed to start at. Flaps are your best friend, you can kick out a notch at 250mph, where most opponents can't, and few aircraft benefit from rudder pedals anywhere nearly as much as the F4U.

Most important thing is to know the engagement. In large, multi-plane fights you really want to keep your altitude and airspeed up. The Corsair can do some marvelous things low and slow thanks to the flaps, but her acceleration and rate of climb is average at best, so she's slow to rebuild E. This makes you VERY vulnerable in large fights once you've burned off all your E. If you get too slow, or lose too much altitude, disengage until you can regain your position and airspeed. Corsairs will also own most high-speed engagements, as few aircraft are as responsive at high speeds. Rate of roll and cornering above 300-350mph are top tier, and responsiveness remains high up to VERY high airspeeds. She has a large and highly effective rudder, and the Corsair maintains rudder authority at airspeeds where the rudder for most opponents is generally useless. All those Spits and La-7s who think they can escape you in the zoom are in for a rude surprise. VERY few aircraft hang with the Hog in a zoom and I've both run down and escaped many opponents who are superior in a sustained climb. 12,000 pounds of airplane makes for a LOT of momentum and energy retention.

At low speeds the Corsair's flaps are among the best in the game. Though there's some debate about realism (anecdotes and historical accounts say one thing, but pure math supports the turn radius modeling as-is) but while they're there, may as well use them. 1v1 there's few planes the F4U should be afraid of slowing down against (stay fast against Zeros, Hurricanes and the early Spit Marks, especially the I and V). Vertical performance at low speeds ranges from poor (F4U-1) to good (F4U-4) with most of the family somewhere in between. All the Corsairs except the -4 have trouble in low-speed vertical fights, while the -4's uprated engine and big 4-bladed prop can muscle her through these engagements.

If you get in trouble and have altitude, point that big nose to the ground. If you have sufficient separation The Hog's superior responsiveness at high-speed can make a big difference, and though some of the lighter opponents may close distance in the sprint, very few will catch the Hog in an extended dive. Often, those who can will now be fighting to regain control of their own plane while you can pull out at will and trade all that speed for altitude. It's VERY difficult to compress a Corsair (full-power WEP from 15,000ft to the deck can do it) and the airframe is very sturdy, so is unlikely to start losing pieces (only thing I've ever lost is landing gear if I have them out above 475mph).

Personally, I prefer to keep the F4U in a moderate speed range, between 250-350mph and stay above the fight. This way I can take advantage of both the Corsair's high-speed handling, and can still get down to drop a notch of flaps or two if needed. I also set my guns at close range (200yds).
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Patches1

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2008, 12:24:46 AM »
When referring to speed, Saxman, are you referring to indicated airspeed, or true airspeed?

"We're surrounded. That simplifies the problem."- Lewis B. "Chesty" Puller, General, USMC

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2008, 01:05:35 AM »
True, makes a difference depending on altitude. Quick glance is usually IAS because that little red hashmark is tough to pick up if you're in a hurry.

However, it should be noted that the F4U's first notch of flaps appears to deploy at 250mph IAS, not TAS.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline zorstorer

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2008, 03:04:17 AM »
Outstanding write up Sax <S> :)

So what would you do if you found yourself with a Spit 16 with about 4k of alt and speed on you with you near the deck at about 250 mph in a -4?  Go ahead and dump the flaps to force the overshoot then start working the angles?  Just wondering as this seems to be the way I see most -4's die.  <S> Again.

Offline Patches1

• Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2008, 04:25:12 AM »
Thanks, Saxman; I thought you were talking True Airspeed, but thought I would ask for claification for new members who mayn't understand True versus Indicated airspeeds.

Zorstorer....if you are in that situation in an F4U...you'd best keep up speed; dumping flaps and gear in this situation plays right into the Spit's hand by bleeding out your Energy and F4Us are all about Energy, whether fast, or slow, because F4Us do not accelerate quickly.

The F4U-1 broke 400 (True?) airspeed at 19,900 feet and was the first single engine aircraft to do so...fast for its day.

The Spitfire's design came out of the Racing Genre...and with the altitude you have stated, the Spit could possibly run down an F4U-4 that is on the deck and low on Energy.

1 vs 1, Spit16 vs F4U-4, on the deck, equal energy, I'll tip my hat to the Corsair PROVIDING the Corsair pilot is capable of handling a slow Corsair at stall speeds.
"We're surrounded. That simplifies the problem."- Lewis B. "Chesty" Puller, General, USMC

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2008, 10:33:55 AM »
I'd kick the WEP and accelerate away to try and rebuild as much E as possible while in a shallow climb to try regaining at least a little altitude to work with. The F4U-4's acceleration is SIGNIFICANTLY improved over the earlier marks. If I have enough horizontal separation it won't matter what the Spit's altitude and starting airspeed is, because his energy retention is nowhere NEAR that of the F4U. Once he levels out he'll be losing airspeed fast while I'm still accelerating.

When there's not enough horizontal separation, if I have a badguy diving on my six I usually let him get to within 1.5k out, then evade with a low yo-yo to clear his guns without sacrificing too much E or altitude. Depending on his airspeed and how alert he is, he'll likely overshoot the dive and kill a lot of E trying to pull out again, especially this low to the deck. If it's a total green pilot I can generally pull high on the upward leg of the low-yo and roll over the top to reverse him the first pass, while against more experienced pilots I can at least neutralize his advantage after maybe 3-4.

Offline angelsandair

• Gold Member
      • RT Website
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2008, 06:33:50 AM »
Well I'm realy gonna give this a good try in the MA and the DA. I want the F4U-1 to be my LW main set. I also want to fly the F4U4 to be my full time plane but I still havent broken the 1000 fighter perks yet. (prolly would have if i hadnt crashed on landing losing 250 perks...)
Goto Google and type in "French military victories", then hit "I'm feeling lucky".
Here lie these men on this sun scoured atoll,
The wind for their watcher, the wave for their shroud,
Where palm and pandanus shall whisper forever,
A requiem fitting for heroes

Offline Patches1

• Nickel Member
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2008, 09:16:02 AM »
The F4U-1 can be quite a perk farmer; learn to fly it well, and you'll always have enough perks to fly the F4U-4.  ;)

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2008, 11:09:42 AM »
Key in the -1 is to maintain energy and position. She's the poorest accelerator, sustained-climb and vertical performance in general of all the Hogs, though the zoom climb is still as good as or better than any single-engine fighter in the game. She's the third-fastest (1A is negligibly faster) and 2nd in pure turning ability (again, marginally after the 1A and close enough in both cases that the difference is unlikely to be noticed).

Forward visibility over the nose is also much poorer since you're seated lower in the cockpit (I HATE trying to deflection-shoot in the -1 birdcage) although the cutouts in the fuselage aft of the cockpit help with rearward visibility.