Author Topic: OK dumb idea?  (Read 789 times)

Offline 999000

• Silver Member
OK dumb idea?
« on: March 08, 2008, 06:18:11 PM »
The battle 360 "Enterprises'  show I believe is a huge hit on the history channel...........How about somebody tell Hitech to advertise Aces High on it!
<S> 999000

Offline trax1

• Gold Member
Re: OK dumb idea?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2008, 06:20:48 PM »
I saw my first AH commercial on History Channel during the afternoon yesterday, before that I only saw them late at night on the Military Channel, so they have started advertising on The History Channel.
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." - Hunter S. Thompson

Offline Barnes828

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2008, 07:48:36 PM »
the commercials don't do this game justice... they make it look to arcadey

Offline JScore

• Zinc Member
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2008, 07:53:40 PM »
I personally know that a big turnoff for newcomers is the chess board teams.  The commercial gives the impression of P-51's vs. 109's; Zekes vs. Corsairs, etc.....you know, the whole good vs. evil thing.  Lose a lot of folks right off the bat right there.   AvA hardly qualifies as covering that base due to its very, very limited population.   

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2008, 08:03:55 PM »
All I see it on is the Milt. Channel.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2008, 08:16:27 PM »
I've seen their commercial 4 times on the military channel aroung midnight over the past 2 years!  :lol

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2008, 08:18:13 PM »
I personally know that a big turnoff for newcomers is the chess board teams.  The commercial gives the impression of P-51's vs. 109's; Zekes vs. Corsairs, etc.....you know, the whole good vs. evil thing.  Lose a lot of folks right off the bat right there.   AvA hardly qualifies as covering that base due to its very, very limited population.   
And what does the fact that it is a very, very limited population tell you?

The problem with the people who want "P-51's vs. 109's; Zekes vs. Corsairs, etc.....you know, the whole good vs. evil thing" is that they want to be the good guys shooting at the bad guys, but it isn't any fun if there aren't any bad guys to shoot at because everybody is playing the good guys.

If we broke it into two sides, Axis vs Allies, we see some huge problems.  The only one of "the big 4" fighters that is Axis is the #4 fighter, the N1K2-J.  But even so, the fighter situation is close to parable compared to the bomber situation.

Allies:

A-20G
B-17G
B-24J
B-25C
B-26B
Boston Mk III
Lancaster Mk III
Il-2
SBD-5
TBM-3

Axis:

Ar234B (perked)
B5N2
D3A1
Ju87D
Ju88A-4
Ki-67

The Axis' hitting power is minisule compared to the Allies.  The one Axis bomber that has a decent warload, the Ju88A-4, has poorer defense than the Lancaster and carries less than half the load, slower.  The Ki-67 offers good speed and firepower, but is only really useful against towns and factories.  On the carrier end of it, due to very light bombloads on the two Axis carrier fighters, the A6M5b and A6M2, the Axis would be forced to use the 1937 D3A1 and 1938 B5N2 as their strike aircraft, aircraft which carry less than the F4U and F6Fs the Allies will be using 98% of the time, ignoring the SBD-5 and TBM-3.  For base attack many Allied fighters carry relatively heavy warloads of 2,000lbs of bombs and often some rockets as well.  Only two Axis fighters can compete, the Bf110G-2 and Fw190F-8, all others are generally limited to a 250kg bomb or two.  Admittedly the Axis will have superior anti-air capabilities for their vehicles comparing the Allies' M-16 to the Axis' Ostwind and Whirbelwind.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2008, 08:21:44 PM by Karnak »
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline JScore

• Zinc Member
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2008, 08:22:41 PM »
Look man, I'm not baggin' on AH.  I'm merely stating that of the 20 or so people I've referred to this game, the vast majority of them have done a month, and quit.  "Their" most frequent complaint was what I covered in my last post.  I personally have no problem with the current setup.  Don't shoot the messenger. 

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2008, 08:46:14 PM »
Look man, I'm not baggin' on AH.  I'm merely stating that of the 20 or so people I've referred to this game, the vast majority of them have done a month, and quit.  "Their" most frequent complaint was what I covered in my last post.  I personally have no problem with the current setup.  Don't shoot the messenger. 
I'm not saying you are bagging on it.  I was pointing out that setting it up as they wanted to see a game would result in them leaving in one month due to lack of action, not to mention most of the current players leaving too.

Honestly, I'd love to see such a setting that worked, but we'd need to be fast and loose with soem history to make it viable.  We'd need the He177A-5 and probably the H8K2 as well to give the Axis some bombing capabilities.  Put the B7A2 in as a carrier enabled strike plane as well as the D4Y2.  Do those things and the Axis might have a fighting chance.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2008, 08:48:30 PM by Karnak »
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2008, 08:53:48 PM »
JScore tell em to give one of the scenarios or FSOs a try.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline trax1

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2008, 09:23:59 PM »
The AH commercial I saw yesterday in the afternoon was during the Dog Fighter marathon, not sure if thats why they decided to buy daytime ad time.
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." - Hunter S. Thompson

Offline LYNX

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2008, 09:39:45 PM »
The battle 360 "Enterprises'  show I believe is a huge hit on the history channel...........How about somebody tell Hitech to advertise Aces High on it!
<S> 999000

Well each channel charges for prime time or prime show advert slots.  Lotsa dosh.  All well and good bagging the impulse guys that see an advert but the "TOP SECTRET help files really crack me up  :uhoh.  Bet those secret files alone lose more potential "bread and butter" customers than any kind of game play.   Piss away advert money like a bucket with a hole in it.

These "punters" ain't gone out their way to look for a combat sim, they seen an advert.  They don't know what to expect because they got drawn in and imagine plug and play typa thingy... yer right :rolleyes:  You gotta tune channel 6 guys.  It'll drive you insane looking at all the same old questions... how this how that .. can I .. where's the .... and the real killer of um all "my mouse is stuck".

Yer ... all well and good spending extra money for a prime show slot but you gotta get the punter past the first day let alone the 2 week trail and a down load that puts things in their face would plug the hole in the bucket. 

If I was captain capable I would have a format similar to a CD.  You click down load game and it does.  After installing it pops up the same format as a film CD.  Kinda steps 1 to 5 I know but clearer than ...now guess where the instructions are.  Customer sees 5 circles  1) user name and account  2) Basic set ups for joystick or mouse (printable)  3) Instruction for flight key commands the whole lot (printable)  4) training arena  5) all arenas.
OR
after step 1 where we see all the arenas as we do today also link numbers 2 and 3 there.  Links direct to those aspect of the TOP SECRET help files. :aok

Now I said it... bet some stupid law stops them using it because I'll screw um for a million bucks for not paying me royalties from my brilliant  :rolleyes: idea.

Offline PhantomBarron

• Copper Member
      • http://
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2008, 12:13:40 AM »
My opinion and recommendation will cost around 6 figures.
Game ID: Tyrant

Relax, What I’ve taken from you now will eventually be inherited by the Meek

Offline republic

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2008, 09:10:26 AM »
it isn't any fun if there aren't any bad guys to shoot at because everybody is playing the good guys.

Come to the AvA, badguys are currently winning the war.  You good guys gonna let that happen?
P-47 pilot

Offline JagdTankker

• Persona Non Grata
  • Copper Member
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2008, 09:34:55 AM »
the commercials don't do this game justice... they make it look to arcadey

thats because it is arcadey.i honestly dont see how it takes them so long to make mods for this game with the low level of graphics.
<<---chasing the flock of Seagulls-aka JG/11