Author Topic: CV command/control  (Read 461 times)

Offline wrongwayric

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
CV command/control
« on: March 18, 2008, 06:28:44 AM »
I put this on our squad site and got some pretty good feedback and input. Make the cv command just like a gv, you use your rank to take command but in order to stay in command you must be on the cv. Just like in a tank you would have the tower and any gun postion you wanted to use. I also thought about making it cost perks to take command but there were some good reasons not to do that, however 1 good reason to do it would be for all the guys that deliberately take them and get them sunk. I sure wouldn't want to deliberately lose say 15/20 perks. Also whoever takes command of the cv controls the flight deck! In other words nothing can launch till you open the flight deck! Anyone would be able to jump on and gun while it was closed, but no flights/lvts/pts ect could up.

Offline Hitman20

• Copper Member
Re: CV command/control
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2008, 08:32:00 AM »
The only thing is people don't want you to control them. So this is unlikely to happen. :salute

Offline wrongwayric

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2008, 10:03:08 AM »
Well the problem we have with the cv task groups as it's currently set up is they are used completely wrong. Properly used a task group can be one of the most important assets in the game. I don't know how many bases i've taken in midwar with the cooperation of the rest of the country when limited numbers are on. If no one ups off the cv then unless they have a defensive cap or are actually looking for that cv the base does not flash. Get a broadside on the town/field drop ords/vh then the town and unless they get lucky and up they'll never know your there. With the current way it's setup and used it takes one plane sitting on the deck to start the base flashing. If you control the cv completely as long as flight deck was closed you couldn't go to any other position other than a gunnery spot thus not giving away the cv position.

Offline Hitman20

• Copper Member
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2008, 11:49:16 AM »
I see what your saying, and I agree with your argument, but as I've stated before, the noobs will go crazy because they can't up, also the other members who think they are "the man" will say that you are keeping them down for your own enjoyment. If this system is used correctly it would be grate, but there is just something in me that says no one will use it the way it was ment to be. I also believe that moveing the cv 3 feet from the shore is asking for it to be sunk, a well orgnized attack should start about 1-2.5 sectors away, that way a cap can be set up over the cv and by the time people up, your planes are 10k above them. Makeing for perfict noob picking :devil

Offline wrongwayric

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2008, 07:26:32 PM »
Well a noob would have to learn how a cv is properly run in combat. As for the vets most of them would probably like the idea, i know most of my squad did. As for a cap over the cv, with the dar bars showing the instant you up, and the large numbers (especially in the MA) someone will come to investigate. Soon as cv sighted mass horde of bombers will up to target it. The best way to keep a cv undetected is to not show any type of activity in the area it is in, until the cv is in effective strike position. I'm sure most squads would love the command and control option for cv's as you could do some wicked missions with it if you planned them right.

Offline Ghastly

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2008, 01:03:41 PM »
What's to keep a higher ranked player from signing in and "reserving" the CV for his squad that's due to come on for a squad night in a couple of hours, or a "crossover" player from changing sides and taking over your CV and aiming it off to Timbuktu as a favor to the guys on "his" side when he's done for the night?

I like the concept, but I feel that it needs more safeguards before it's viable for consideration.

<S>

Grue
"Curse your sudden (but inevitable!) betrayal!"
Grue

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2008, 01:45:40 PM »
Perhaps the safeguard you are thinking of is having to be on one of the TG ships to control the CV. Once you leave the perks and ownership of that TG goes with it.
Get your Daily Dose of Flame!
FlameThink.com
No. 603 Squadron... Visit us on the web, if you dare.

Drug addicts are always disappointed after eating Pot Pies.

Offline K-KEN

• Silver Member
      • http://www.cutthroats.com
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2008, 03:39:10 PM »
What's to keep a higher ranked player from signing in and "reserving" the CV for his squad that's due to come on for a squad night in a couple of hours, or a "crossover" player from changing sides and taking over your CV and aiming it off to Timbuktu as a favor to the guys on "his" side when he's done for the night?

I like the concept, but I feel that it needs more safeguards before it's viable for consideration.

<S>

Grue

Or just jumping on the CV and leaving...still connected...like folks do now when a reset is eminent just to grab free perkies.  Good point on the folks changing sides. Air Warrior only allowed 1 change in 12 hours, I recall.

Maybe adding/allowing up to 3 CVs per Port at one time, but if sunk it's lost for say... 3 hours (the extras might be just a compact carrier not a full CV Task Group like we have). Then we would have 3 potential CV Captains, doing their thing or squad thing. It would require the port to show an inventory on current CVs available/sunk and the Perks to run it. (ENY might be in play too) Killing the Main CV Task Group would also allow a newly captured Port to spawn it and would automatically sink the Compact Carriers.