Author Topic: F.A.A. articles conflict in stall description.  (Read 476 times)

Offline Benny Moore

• Silver Member
F.A.A. articles conflict in stall description.
« on: March 23, 2008, 09:47:42 AM »
"The spin that occurs from cross controlling an aircraft usually results in rotation in the direction of the rudder being applied, regardless of which wingtip is raised.  In a skidding turn, where both aileron and rudder are applied in the same direction, rotation will be in the direction the controls are applied. However, in a slipping turn, where opposite aileron is held against the rudder, the resultant spin will usually occur in the direction opposite the aileron that is being applied." (http://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgAdvisoryCircular.nsf/0/a2fdf912342e575786256ca20061e343/$FILE/AC61-67C.pdf)

"An airplane will stall during a coordinated steep turn exactly as it does from straight flight, except that the pitching and rolling actions tend to be more sudden. If the airplane is slipping toward the inside of the turn at the time the stall occurs, it tends to roll rapidly toward the outside of the turn as the nose pitches down because the outside wing stalls before the inside wing. If the airplane is skidding toward the outside of the turn, it will have a tendency to roll to the inside of the turn because the inside wing stalls first. If the coordination of the turn at the time of the stall is accurate, the airplane’s nose will pitch away from the pilot just as it does in a straight flight stall, since both wings stall simultaneously."
(http://www.faa.gov/library/manuals/aircraft/airplane_handbook/media/faa-h-8083-3a-3of7.pdf)

These two descriptions of a banked stall seem to contradict, particularly the sections I placed in bold. I was wondering if any real pilots could clarify. Aces High II models banked stalls which conform to the former description; X-Plane models them conforming to the latter.  Both simulators have generally very good flight models.  I've stalled a real Cessna, but it was a straight-and-level power-off slow stall, and no wing drop resulted. So I don't know about banked stalls from real-life experience. What's the deal?

Offline Casca

• Nickel Member
Re: F.A.A. articles conflict in stall description.
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2008, 10:25:06 AM »
I couldn't spot the contradiction.  They both say the same thing other than the top one describes spin characteristics relative to control inputs and the bottom one relative to turn quality in an accelerated (turning) condition.  If you stall with the ball in the middle the airplane won't spin.  If you stall with the ball not in the middle the aircraft will tend to spin in the direction opposite the ball position.

Related trivia question:  Assuming the pilot's (left) side instrument group, which way will the ball go in a developed left spin?  How bout a right spin?
« Last Edit: March 23, 2008, 10:30:15 AM by Casca »
I'm Casca and I approved this message.

Offline Benny Moore

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2008, 10:32:09 AM »
I think I can see what you're saying about the contradiction being apparent; I'll need to study the two paragraphs some more.  As for your question, the ball should be to the right in a left hand (counterclockwise) spin and to the left in a right hand spin.

Edit: I got it now.  Thank you for your help.  I had to look up the definitions of slip and skid, then use hand and feet motions to figure it out.  According to this article, then, I think that X-Plane has the banked stalls backwards.  Hmmm.  In X-Plane, if I remember correctly, the higher wing always stalls first regardless of rudder use.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2008, 10:39:27 AM by Benny Moore »

Offline Casca

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2008, 10:48:38 AM »
Good deal.  It can be hard to visualize the various conditions.  The answer to the ball question is a little tricky.  Here is a hint:  It will always go the same way.

Offline Benny Moore

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2008, 12:27:00 PM »
Explain.  The ball should always go towards the direction you need to push your foot in (another way of explaining it would be that the ball swings in the direction that the tail is swinging).  Since spins require rudder opposite the spin direction, this means that the ball will always be in the opposite direction of the spin.

Offline Casca

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2008, 12:54:41 PM »
Once the aircraft is in a developed spin the forces within the airplane are acting away from the axis of rotation.  A ball in the pilot's side (left) instrument panel will always go to the left, a ball in a co-pilots side (right) instrument panel will always go to the right.  Pilots are therefore taught not to refer to the ball for spin recovery informtion.

Offline Benny Moore

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2008, 04:41:15 AM »
But what about single-seat aircraft such as fighters, and tandem-seat aircraft?  In those, the yaw indicator is in the center of the aircraft.

Offline Casca

• Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2008, 01:24:12 PM »
If the instrument is not in the middle the forces will be acting away from the centerline and push the ball to the outside.  In the case of a ball dead nuts on the centerline in theory it would be displaced during the act of entering the spin (to the direction opposite the spin direction) and remain there.  I would not use ball position for spin recovery in any case.