Author Topic: impossible frame rates?  (Read 639 times)

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
impossible frame rates?
« on: March 23, 2008, 05:45:52 PM »
I was talking to a few guys on 200 that told me there is no way I have the frame rates i've got. Over water they increase to over 300 and very rarely go under 100, even in a furball. Do i not have some video card adjustments right? Are these types of frame rates unheard of? The video cards are 8600GTs set up for SLI. Vsync is (Force on), in the nivida control panel. Moniter resolution is 1680x1050. Game resolution is the same with unlimited frame rate box checked. Default resolution is set at 1050.
Do these guys not know what they're talking about, or do I not have something set right.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2008, 06:06:25 AM by Skuzzy »
Lighten up Francis

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
Re: impossible frame rates?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2008, 06:05:40 PM »
The only way they have frame rates like that is if they are running with vertical sync disabled, which is not a good thing to do when running Aces High II.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2008, 06:31:03 PM »
vertical sync has three choices...use the 3D application setting, force on, force off. Mine is set at force on. I tryed the "use the 3D application setting", but nothing changed. could it be something else that is causing this?
Lighten up Francis

Offline Hamltnblue

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2008, 07:31:19 PM »
An 8600 SLI rig with low settings will get those rates without a problem.  My single 9600GT rarely goes below 100 with high settings. 

Offline dkff49

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2008, 07:52:51 PM »
I just received my new computer and after doing some further testing and starting to play a little more online, I too have seen framerates of over 100 however mine do drop down to 30 and 40 from time to time. These drastic increases and drops do cause some warping. My question is though I finally found the setting on my computer. I was wondering if this could be my problem as well and if it is then what should it be set to the options I have are

1) use 3D application setting
2) force off
3) force on

thanks
Haxxor has returned!!!!
Dave

Offline sax

• Gold Member
      • http://www.13thtas.com
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2008, 10:32:49 PM »
Sooo Skuzzy with a decent PC <I've upgraded with nearly every update in AH> do you think upgrading
to a dual core or higher end Vid card would have a bigger
impact on frame rates .

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2008, 06:04:21 AM »
Set 'vertical sync' to always on for Aces High II.  If you are getting frame rates higher than the video refresh you are asking for troble in Aces High II.  If you have an LCD panel, the frame rates shoul dnever exceed 60, unless you have a new 120Hz LCD panel, then the frame rates should never exceed 120.

Getting higher frame rates thant he vertical refresh is going to have negative effects while playing the game.

If I turn off vertical sync on my system, I can get over 300FPS using a 7600GT video card.  A 3.2Ghz Core 2 CPU is what drives that.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2008, 06:06:09 AM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2008, 11:34:42 AM »
Thanks for in input Skuzzy. I went back in the Nivida control panel and added Aces High 2 to the program list, but also I had unlimited frame rate box checked in the game video setting. I checked the 60fps box and all is good with my cyber world now. :aok

As a side note: with the unlimited box checked I got up to 400fps over water in DA :huh :lol The refresh rate on my flat panel is set at 60 so i believe all my numbers are matching now.
Thanks again   :salute
Lighten up Francis

Offline Estes

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2008, 11:49:18 AM »
Yeah, as Skuzzy said with V-sync on, you're only going to get as high of frame rates as your monitor refresh is.
With V-sync off, you will get the rubber bullet syndrome and other anomalies. That being said, seems you have fixed
the issue; but I thought I might shed a bit more light on why V-sync is a good thing to have turned on.