Author Topic: Flying the Ki-84 Hurricane  (Read 958 times)

Offline Simaril

• Platinum Member
Re: Flying the Ki-84 Hurricane
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2008, 12:06:01 PM »
The 190s are fine on CT.... any trim adjustments needed are minimal. The 109 K4 needs manual trim badly to be used effectively at high speeds but at low speeds its very responsive and docile.

I've found it useful two have my elevator trim manually set all the way to the top when flying the K, and then to switch combat trim on. That way when I get hard lockup at high speed, all I need to do is to toggle the combat trim off until the nose is pointed in the right direction. It works so well that I have to be very careful to avoid long-duration blackouts. (I have trim wheels, so not sure how this works with keyboard controls.)
Maturity is knowing that I've been an idiot in the past.
Wisdom is realizing I will be an idiot in the future.
Common sense is trying to not be an idiot right now

"Social Fads are for sheeple." - Meatwad

Offline Devonai

• Copper Member
      • Reckless Faith
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2008, 06:41:37 PM »
Thanks guys, I will try manual trim next time.
Guns!  Aliens!  Talking cats!  My new Science Fiction adventure, now on Amazon.com
http://www.amazon.com/David-Kantrowitz/e/B002BMHJPE/

Offline bongaroo

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2008, 08:57:28 AM »
Try to keep the fight moving up in the Ki84.  Once you've gotten your enemy to follow you up and blow his E you should be slow and able to pop out the wonder flaps.  Now all thats left is to simply whip your nose around while the enemy wallows and nail him.

Be easy on the trigger, those 20mms can spit out a lot of ammo fast.  I find that I get most of my kills between 200 and 400 yards.  The pea shooters aren't completely useless either, I've gotten 2 or 3 kills with them after going bingo on the cannon rounds.

Lately I've been taking 100% fuel most of the time.  But if you want the best performance at the start of a fight perhaps consider taking 50% and dts.

The two bombs are nothing to scoff at either, plenty to kill a panzer or m4 with a well placed drop.

Last tip, at the higher speeds up until you hear the plane groaning the flight performance is very good.  Feel free to lure high cons into a flat or rolling scissors for a nice overshoot snapshot.  The 20mms will leave a hurting with only a few hits.  I'd be happy to wing up with you if you see me online, I consider the Ki84 my best plane.  (wish i could say this about the p38 but I'm just a gangtard magnet in that apparently)
Callsign: Bongaroo
Formerly: 420ace