Author Topic: The Ultimate Perk...OWNING a Me-262...really!  (Read 1288 times)

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
The Ultimate Perk...OWNING a Me-262...really!
« on: August 15, 2001, 10:53:00 AM »
That's right, they are making Me-262s here in the good ole USA.

Check out this site...
 http://www.stormbirds.com/project/index.html

Hmmm, might be time to put a for sale sign up on the BD-5 project    :)

[ 08-15-2001: Message edited by: LePaul ]

Offline Staga

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.nohomersclub.com/
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2001, 11:17:00 AM »
I saw a story of these birds in a Finnish aviation magazine maybe year or couple ago. AFAIR they were using same engines as in some Cessna biz-jets inside of original type engine nacelle with more power than original Jumos had.

I'm sure those guys will do some pilots happy and it would be great to see one of them flying in one of our air-shows someday  :)

Offline pdog_109

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2001, 11:52:00 AM »
Why did they do the B trainer/nightfighter version? That 2 seat cockpit makes it look so smurfy.

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2001, 11:58:00 AM »
Originally posted by pdog_109:
Why did they do the B trainer/nightfighter version? That 2 seat cockpit makes it look so smurfy.

Just maybe they realized that they would sell more of them if they could push a 2 seat version. A new perkiy style of corporate jet!! Tell the competition to Check 6!!  :D

Another angle is the training issue. It takes a special letter endorsement to be able to fly one of these type of planes. The new owners WILL need to insure their bird and NO insurance company will cover it without a certain number of dual instruction hours. Now if there is no 2 seat version, how is that going to happen??? DUH!!!

BTW I'm sure they'll make one special just for you.

Mav
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline pdog_109

• Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2001, 12:07:00 PM »
Dam right they will.

Offline SFRT - Frenchy

• Platinum Member
      • http://home.CFL.rr.com/rauns/menu.htm
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2001, 12:51:00 PM »
Because as a pilot you always want to share the exitement with non fliers. As silly as it looks, you can have a blast doing aerobatic by yourself, but nothing brings as much self satisfaction that the stupid smile of an exited passenger.   :p

Olivier "Frenchy" Raunier

Dat jugs bro.

Terror flieger since 1941.
------------------------

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2001, 01:00:00 PM »
Because the airframe they copied was from NAS Willow Grove, sitting as a gate guard. It was the first factory two-seater IIRC.

They "reverse engineered" a lot of the parts.

IIRC, the engines are the T-38 engines w/o the afterburners. Very reliable engine, plenty of spares, something like 2X the thrust of the the originals and MUCH better fuel efficency. I think it can go almost coast to coast unrefueled.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline HABICHT

• Copper Member
      • http://www.jagdgeschwader54.net
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2001, 01:08:00 PM »
the 2 seater you see is an original 262 owned by the us navy. the stormbirds guys used it, to rebuilt every part. navy said,"you can have it, disamble it, but for this, pls restorate it for us." they did it..
in a extremely perfect way! the 2 seater 262 is now visible as an static display.

the new, flyable 262 will be 2 and 1 seater.
you can fast rebuilt the 2 seater , to look like single seater. it's an option.
only 1 262 is a pure single seater.

btw, you can visit this guys at paine field, seattle (next to the boeing production halls).
all are very friendly and answering all questions.
last year, during my usa vacation, i was lucky to had a sit in into one of this 262's.
will never forget the moment, when i grabbed the stick :-)

wastel aka habicht