Author Topic: "That Arena is FULL, please choose another"  (Read 1919 times)

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
Re: "That Arena is FULL, please choose another"
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2008, 06:44:01 AM »
You know the one thing all of you have missed.

There are no caps in EarlyWar or MidWar.

Generally 25- 45 people on, and its always looking for people.

Give it a shot sometime.

Offline FrodeMk3

• Gold Member
« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2008, 06:52:25 AM »
The lap part is a joke !

The CON is The AcesHigh Convention usually held once a year at a chosen location
ie Las Vegas, or Texas (where ever they can find a place big enough) . Any way Aces High customers
 all travel to the convention and have a social get to gether , also Dogfights stuff like that ,
 Total Fun !!!

As for the arena caps and rolling limits .... It has it draw backs , but  it was a much cussed and discussed   solution to a much bigger problem in the past ......

http://www.flyaceshigh.com/ahcon/ahcon.html  < Click it ....for CON info

When did they throw the con in Vegas?

Offline SD67

• Gold Member
« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2008, 06:57:42 AM »
IIRC there was a breakdown of social interaction in the MA of old, which led initially too the creation of the EW, MW and LW  arenas. Due to the almost instant overpopulation of the single LW arena, they were split into two and the caps were introduced.
This forced people to begin looking at new ways to interact and sometimes if that meant they had to go to a different arena to fly together against a different enemy then so be it. It gave squads the incentive they needed to seek out new objectives and opponents.
9GIAP VVS RKKA
You're under arrest for violation of the Government knows best act!
Fabricati diem, punc
Absinthe makes the Tart grow fonder

Offline LLv34_Dictonius

• Gold Member
« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2008, 07:18:17 AM »
It gave squads the incentive they needed to seek out new objectives and opponents.

And what other objectives you think there are, other than trying to shoot down an enemy plane :huh
This must be one of those things that looks so nice on the level of rhetorics but has nothing to do with the actual gameplay. One arena has always been my preference and I have seen no problems with it. And yes, this has been discussed since the changes came into actuality, but it doesn't mean it wouldn't still get on my nerves...

The bigger the better chaps - you can ask your wives more about the matter! :salute

« Last Edit: April 03, 2008, 07:22:46 AM by LLv34_Dictonius »
Current handle: Tikto
Member of the big finnish squadron Vaasan Vaakalentäjät

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2008, 07:37:03 AM »
And how many people would be screaming about not being able to get into Orange then? Unfortunately there really isn't any other way to do it than the way they do it now.....they have tried many, and we all know that a single arena won't work. So we are stuck with things as they are.

I do like the idea of paying for a "fast pass" type of think.... not that I would pay for it, I always can find something to do when I get to log in. It would give those that just have to get into a certain arena an option.

I cant remember a single time when a single arena didnt work. Please enlighten me.

Offline CHECKERS

• Silver Member
      • http://www.geocities.com/motorcity/1502/index.html
« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2008, 10:07:39 AM »
When did they throw the con in Vegas?
I don't know if they did throw a Con in Vegas, it was just used as an example .....
Originally posted by Panman
God the BK's are some some ugly mo-fo's. Please no more pictures, I'm going blind Bet your mothers don't even love ya cause u'all sooooooooo F******* ulgy.

Offline Corrs

• Silver Member
      • TAC Drivers
« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2008, 01:59:43 PM »
I think this might help you get that VIP pass
Corrs
The Flying Circus
Head of The Flying Circus Numbnutz Clown Union since 2000
FSO 334th FS Corrs's Nose Art
WARNING: Keep smiley's out of reach of Corrs

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #37 on: April 04, 2008, 02:51:21 PM »
I cant remember a single time when a single arena didnt work. Please enlighten me.

Every Friday night when we have over 1100 people on for the last month.

Before the change almost every night when we stared seeing less fun game play for the majority of people.

HiTech

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #38 on: April 04, 2008, 02:53:03 PM »

Before the change almost every night when we stared seeing less fun game play for the majority of people.

HiTech

Must have been when i was at sleep dreaming about the HE-111.  ;)

Offline Kotari

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.virtualpilots.fi/LLv34/
« Reply #39 on: April 05, 2008, 02:21:12 AM »

HiTech

Ok, so yanks got a huge crowd of people on their primetime... that´s settled. But what about those arena caps ?
Yesterday evening, around 5pm GMT, Orange arena was around 200 players and blue around 100.
Again the locks hit, and eventually we were forced to move to blue because it was evident that our mates we´re not able to come to orange.
I haven´t found a single good explanation why these "sheepherders" exist.

"Yeah, but the other server would be empty then"   
So, what. If people choose to be on the populated server over the empty one, let them. I know for a fact that when it gets crowded, people WILL choose the another server and start filling it.

-=Die Rammjäger VIII=-
Lentolaivue 34

"Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.
When catapults are outlawed, only outlaws will have catapults"

Offline flubby

• Zinc Member
      • http://joomla.hp-parrots.de/joomla/
« Reply #40 on: April 05, 2008, 02:59:15 AM »
Maybe it is possible to close an arena only for people, who don`t have already squad members in the "full" arena. Squad splitting imho is not acceptable and to force a squadmembers to leave the full arena to fly together is not very nice, too.

Regards

Flubby

Offline DaddyAck

• Silver Member
« Reply #41 on: April 05, 2008, 03:59:46 AM »
I understand HT has his reasoning behind the multiple arenas, but I still wish it did not force a Cap.  If youre going to have 2 arenas open, atleast let there be a choice as to wich one you go in without being forced.

Offline 442w30

• Nickel Member
« Reply #42 on: April 05, 2008, 11:38:28 AM »
Orange arena was around 200 players and blue around 100.
Again the locks hit, and eventually we were forced to move to blue because it was evident that our mates we´re not able to come to orange.
I haven´t found a single good explanation why these "sheepherders" exist.

THAT is one of the reasons.  In your case it worked.  It moved your squad to the arena that "needed" more people and away from the one that "had to many"
Now go away or I shall taunt you a second time

"The plural of anecdote is no data."- statistician's axiom

Offline pluck

• Silver Member
« Reply #43 on: April 05, 2008, 04:26:13 PM »
Maybe it is possible to close an arena only for people, who don`t have already squad members in the "full" arena. Squad splitting imho is not acceptable and to force a squadmembers to leave the full arena to fly together is not very nice, too.

Regards

Flubby

well, how would new people find squads they want to fly with?  what about those who want to go lone wolf, but have friends they like to fly and chat with?  If it is a big issue for your squad, maybe others in your squad would consider flying in the lower populated arena so others could join.  I don't think denying people entrance into an arena because they don't have a squad is a very viable option at all.  I understand the issue, but both parties should have (and do have) the ability to work around this issue.  There is nothing stopping a squad from switching arenas so that all their members can get in, in the same way nothing is stopping an individual from changing arenas.  Spots generally open in arenas relatively quickly anyway.  Only allowing squad members to join an arena when full, also opens the idea that caps really don't mean much at all.  You would be in affect "stealing" players that might otherwise populate the lower numbered arena, monopolizing the caps in the already maxed arena, while making less people to shoot at in another.   
« Last Edit: April 05, 2008, 04:29:25 PM by pluck »
-Vast
NOSEART
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline flubby

• Zinc Member
      • http://joomla.hp-parrots.de/joomla/
« Reply #44 on: April 05, 2008, 05:03:19 PM »
Very good points pluck. I did not saw it in this way, yet.

Regards

Flubby