Author Topic: warping and game play  (Read 1553 times)

Offline rogerdee

• Gold Member
      • http://rogerdee.co.uk
warping and game play
« on: April 06, 2008, 07:49:17 PM »

ok i was on tonight and me and a few other told the same player
his connection was bad and he was warping through buildings trees the ground everything.

All he did was laugh as said he dont care.fair enough its his money
but the annoying thing is he couldnt hardly be shot down,but managed to hit us time and time again with
bombs and guns.
now this isnt fair play for others,when hes dead in your sights then warps 2k away or through the ground.
 i dont know what could be done but it takes away from the fun when someone is using this to there advantage.
490th battling bulldogs
www.rogerdee.co.uk

it does what it says on the tin

Offline SFCHONDO

• Silver Member
Re: warping and game play
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2008, 07:53:38 PM »
Agree, I wish HT would auto boot guys with terrible connections.
        HONDO
DENVER BRONCOS    

Retired from AH

Offline weazely

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2008, 11:36:03 PM »
LOL there goes half of the players. :)
2004 Subaru Impreza WRX.
Invidia V2 Catless Downpipe
STi Catback
HKS SQV BOV

Offline BiPoLaR

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2008, 11:54:54 PM »
good boot half...thatll make room in the arenas :D
R.I.P. T.E.Moore (Dad) 9-9-45 - 7-16-10.
R.I.P. Wes Poss  (Best Friend) 11-14-75 - 5-2-14

Offline SFCHONDO

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2008, 11:58:55 PM »
LOL there goes half of the players. :)

LOL...Oh well  :D

but I mean terrible connections, not the occasional warpers
        HONDO
DENVER BRONCOS    

Retired from AH

Offline Wingnutt

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2008, 12:21:25 AM »
I had a similar situation with a guy who is apparently notorious for it..

he came jerking and twitching past me head on, he was flipping and flopping and popping around so bad I didn't even bother firing a shot..

about half a second after he passed me I hear hits and I have an oil leak..

apparently he HOd me but was lagging so bad I didnt even see him shoot on my end, also (apparently) this is the usual case with this individual.

Offline Becinhu

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2008, 12:32:14 AM »
It's even more fun when you are on a guys six and as soon as you open up he warps behind you and kills you with 1 burst. That's my favorite for sure.
412th Braunco Mustangs OG
412th FNVG FSO
80th FS "Headhunters" MA

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2008, 08:24:55 AM »
ok i was on tonight and me and a few other told the same player
his connection was bad and he was warping through buildings trees the ground everything.

All he did was laugh as said he dont care.fair enough its his money
but the annoying thing is he couldnt hardly be shot down,but managed to hit us time and time again with
bombs and guns.
now this isnt fair play for others,when hes dead in your sights then warps 2k away or through the ground.
 i dont know what could be done but it takes away from the fun when someone is using this to there advantage.

now i'm curious about something......i've been told what when a player is warping, be it from his attempts at causing it himslef, or from a bad connection, that we all appear to warp to him.....it would seem that ths would make it harder for him too. is this true?

<<S>>
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2008, 08:36:27 AM »
now i'm curious about something......i've been told what when a player is warping, be it from his attempts at causing it himslef, or from a bad connection, that we all appear to warp to him.....it would seem that ths would make it harder for him too. is this true?

<<S>>
^
Yes.

However this doesn't bother him when he is doing bomber or jabo runs. While everyone around him may warp into subspace and back 4 times a second, the terrain and all objects do not move at all. Pretty easy for him to strafe buildings or pork fields while basically being uninterceptable.

I once came across such a player in EW. I tried to protect town from a horde, but of course I couldn't stop him. When bringing up the subject on open channel I was told by his comrades to suck it up - "He has a crappy line an it's his 15$".  :rolleyes:
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline toonces3

• Nickel Member
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2008, 01:28:12 PM »
Interesting.

I was playing COD4 online a few weeks ago.  I got booted from the server once.  Apparently the game has a mechanism that monitors your ping and if it falls below some threshold you are booted from the server, probably to prevent silliness like described here in AH2.

I'd say I'm surprised AH2 doesn't implement something like this, but I'm not.  We wouldn't want to offend or alienate any of our players, would we?
"And I got my  :rocklying problem fix but my voice is going to inplode your head" -Kennyhayes

"My thread is forum gold, it should be melted down, turned into minature f/a-18 fighter jets and handed out to everyone who participated." -Thrila

Offline AAkupton

• Zinc Member
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2008, 02:10:49 PM »
I've been playing for a little over a year now and I never warped in the past.  I had to get a new and better computer and then started warping.  I have cable internet its vary fast.  My framerate has never been better but I was still warping.  Not all warpers "use" it.  I've got most of my settings tweaked now to where I don't warp any longer but I do still get the occasional "jump".  So to all I fight, if you see me warp I am sorry and please let me know.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2008, 02:16:08 PM »
Interesting.

I was playing COD4 online a few weeks ago.  I got booted from the server once.  Apparently the game has a mechanism that monitors your ping and if it falls below some threshold you are booted from the server, probably to prevent silliness like described here in AH2.

I'd say I'm surprised AH2 doesn't implement something like this, but I'm not.  We wouldn't want to offend or alienate any of our players, would we?

Never played COD... never interested me. Do you pay a monthly fee to play or is it a game you can play offline as well as online.

Nevermind... I just checked. Not even close to Ah. COD you buy a game and you have the option to play online. They can boot you because you don't pay to play online. AH you pay to play online with the option to play offline. AH doesn't boot because you paid to be here.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2008, 02:22:40 PM by Shuffler »
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2008, 02:37:10 PM »
If you spot extremely bad warping, like warping all over the sky, totally disappearing from your view, etc., my opinion is that you should film it and send it to HTC so that they can check it out.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2008, 02:40:03 PM by Brooke »

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2008, 02:49:58 PM »
If you spot really suspicious warping (like the guy warps when people are on him, yet seems to be non warpy when he is on someone else's trail...
Just to clearify, here is a note off of the trainers site:
One common scenario players find is that they see a distant enemy plane flying on a steady course. If that enemy plane has a shoddy connection, it will not show when they are not maneuvering. As the player closes in to attack, the enemy reacts to the attack and starts maneuvering. Also at this time, the attacker is within range for the most frequent updates. Suddenly due to the combination of these factors, the enemey plane begins to warp. This is often interpreted by players as intentional warping. In fact the enemey player in many cases are not even aware they have a problem connection, and are doing nothing to intentional to cause it. What has happened is that the combination of the enemey initiating hard maneuvers, along with the need for frequent positional updates for smooth display at close range, had caused their poor connection to become appearent all at once
That said, just last night, I filmed an encounter where a player was maneuvering and not warping until I got on their 6.  Then they blink warped all over the place.  Half a minute later they came back to pick me, and did not warp in a turning fight from 10K to the deck.  I'll allow the benefit of the doubt, but if I see it again from that same player, I will send in the films.

Offline CHAPPY

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2008, 03:11:28 PM »
Film it.