Author Topic: B17s need moving  (Read 1165 times)

Offline Dowding

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.psys07629.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/272/index.html
B17s need moving
« on: October 14, 2000, 04:12:00 PM »
I took part in the Med league event today, flying a b17. The mission was going to be a long flight, but I didn't mind that since we would get some action at the end.  

Unfortunately, after nearly 2 hours of steadily gaining altitude, we were given the order to abort 25 miles from target, because the arena time was almost over and the A/C had to be preserved. This was despite the fact that Zigrat and Busc had (repeatedly) stated this scenario would be for fun only, and would not count to the campaign.

I gotta say it was the most boring time yet in my time at AH. I don't mind following orders, but since the frame did not matter, it really p****d me off that we were told to abort after such a long flight. I don't mind dying 'cos I like the combat that precedes it!

This may sound a bit bitter, but I just am a bit angry that COs didn't pay attention to the situation.

But I guess that's what Command is there for.  

I'm sure the cock-up won't happen again and next time, could you move the B-17 bomber group closer to the action or extend the time allowed?

Thank-you. The whole campaign is a great idea, BTW, and I understand it must be difficult to coordinate.

[This message has been edited by Dowding (edited 10-14-2000).]
War! Never been so much fun. War! Never been so much fun! Go to your brother, Kill him with your gun, Leave him lying in his uniform, Dying in the sun.

Reaper

B17s need moving
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2000, 04:19:00 PM »
Well I just think we need a bigger timeframe...2 hours are too short for good B17 missions...

Offline SFRT - Frenchy

• Platinum Member
      • http://home.CFL.rr.com/rauns/menu.htm
B17s need moving
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2000, 04:33:00 PM »
It shadows my joy a bit that P47's didn't lost a plane and other enemy units had some big losses. I would had definatly been a plus for us next frames. But 2 things to consider here, first organization is way more tougher than it appears. Everybody tend to forget being polite and come in the arena asking : "how a bout me" and even get upset.

Second, even if the kills we got don't count, we had fun covering each other and being able to all RTB. Fun for us, is what SEA is and why Organizators take on them to accomplish, so Salute to them.
Dat jugs bro.

Terror flieger since 1941.
------------------------

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
B17s need moving
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2000, 04:50:00 PM »
Absoulty agree Dowding.. sucked havin to abort. It sucked havin to give those orders to abort. It truly sucked havin the textbox cluttered up with argument and discussion about it; and I thank you in advance for bringing that discussion here.

Thanks.  

If it'll make yah feel any better (it won't) 'command' issued specific instructions to your squad CO on preservation of assests, and the frame 'not counting' or not had zip to do with THAT. We will fly the 'Practice Frames' just like the fediddlein 'For Real Frames' and that means he was supposed to preserve his force.

Zig indicated the A/C must be on the ground at the end of the frame or they were LOST. Continuing to target would have put the entire force beyond RTB in alloted time.

He called abort and jettison; then by god, 7 fediddlein B17's better pivot on their flight lead and do as instructed. Them's ORDERS. this is Med Leauge. Not MA. We think diffrent here. I'm not intersted in destroying ANY target at the cost of unacceptable losses to the buff force. He knows that. That's why he's CO of the 346th.

Practice or not; my understanding is the frames will all be scored... and even if not by them you can bet WE score 'em, AAR 'em; compare notes, learn from the mistakes and try to do better next time.

Yah done good; yah followed yer orders, and I'm glad and proud that force returned with out sustaining unacceptable losses. Thanks. That in itself is a victory.

Nice job Sunchaser; and 346BG (H) Carry on!

<S!>

Hang

The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

skipper

B17s need moving
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2000, 05:40:00 PM »
After a bit of a problem getting the B17's enabled at A12...and the ensuing madhouse at the spawn point due to COLLISIONS ON for friendlies....which I prefer for realisims sake by the way...(we just need to stagger Take-Offs from a common runway, by prior sequenceing set up/assigned by Cmding Officer)...(each bmbr pilot would wait in tower untill given the go by the CO)

My only complaint...was loosing the radio box(i.e. slash key didn't work) after RW crashed ...channel 112

Maybe we should assign Specific RW channels...pre mission..??? to prevent RW overload..?? or disable RW...or ????..this has happened to me in MA as well on occasion..is there a bug re-RW or what??

I've been kicked out to desk-top on several occasions when RW was in use by me..usually not a big problem..but has happened when im landing or close to ground manuvering as well..and that can be deadly...IMHO

Being ordered to ABORT at the time was a bummer after flying so long but STUFF happens and it will again...so we need to follow ORDERS...(good job Sunchaser...was a treat just trying to fly formation...we'll do better next time)

Enjoyed the FRAME...whether counted or not...

THANKS to all who set it up and to all who participated...

Offline Dowding

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.psys07629.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/272/index.html
B17s need moving
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2000, 08:15:00 AM »
I have no problem following orders - if the target was hot or there was not enough time, then fair enough, aborting is the only option. But since it did not count, I just didn't see the point.

Anyway, thx for the reply Hangtime. Hopefully cya next week.  
War! Never been so much fun. War! Never been so much fun! Go to your brother, Kill him with your gun, Leave him lying in his uniform, Dying in the sun.

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
B17s need moving
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2000, 09:33:00 AM »
<S!>
The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline SKurj

• Gold Member
B17s need moving
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2000, 12:48:00 PM »
Perhaps as an alternative...

set borders for the "combat" area.  Any buffs outside the combat area (on the allied side of it) at end of scenario are not lost...
I've flown several scenarios in Aw and landing by end of frame has not always been a requirement.  With only 2 hrs for a run it does make it tough for the buffs.

Jus an idea

SKurj