Author Topic: new AVA rules of engagement  (Read 3602 times)

Offline captain1ma

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • JG54 website
Re: new AVA rules of engagement
« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2008, 01:27:47 PM »
Ah .... offended you I have with more detail than you wanted, Jedi. Rained on your parade with "mindlessness", I did. Carry on. :D

YES or NO???

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2008, 01:31:45 PM »
YES or NO???

Why are you still confused? Were the two previous nos not enough? Does it really take a third?  :lol

NO  :D

Offline captain1ma

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • JG54 website
« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2008, 01:34:45 PM »
thank you. next!!!!

Offline Warmongo

• Copper Member
Re: Lets talk practicality AND reality
« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2008, 01:43:55 PM »
Aces High II was designed by an Air Warrior. Have you ever played Air Warrior? AWII/III was coded to give the player roughly a fifteen degree "cone of reduced lethality" from incoming fire on the nose. Then meant all incoming on their forward arc (cone) up to a fifteen degree deflection had it's lethality reduced by over ninety percent. Why was that modeled? Ho whines. Not history. Not practicality. Not inability to code otherwise. Not unplayability of the game without it. Ho whines - plain and simple.

Why didn't HT model it? Well, I suppose you'd have to ask him the specifics but it seems rather obvious he never thought it was needed. HT likes as realistic and practical model as possible. Shooting your opponent from whatever angle with your opponent facing whatever angle just happens to be that. Has HT tweaked the game to modify player social interaction at all? *cough*ENI*cough* But then, that's not the flight model, the aircraft stats or anything ... it's a capacity-driven arena balancing tool.

So .... even though the owner and designer of the game (and his staffed `grammers) has knowledge of and the ability to code the magical nosecone of reduced lethality he doesn't appear to have HO issues. Neither does the vast majority of the player base. That leaves it a "deal with it" issue. By "deal with it" that could entail anything from sucking it up when it happens and not either whining about it or starting a campaign to enforce your personal ethics and standards regarding programmed elements of the game on the rest of the community - in part or as a whole.

It can also involve learning how to effectively reduce the odds of your own suffering, tactically speaking, whether it involves HOing, vulching, other guy cheating through altitude grabbing, suicide bombing, ack-running, anything any player (new or not) has whined from the beginning of time when they were defeated "unfairly" in this game of more than just air dueling. Don't like getting HOed? Don't like getting vulched? Don't like getting cherry-picked? Don't like odds greater than 1:1 ... 2:1 .... 3:1? Learn to avoid it all. Yes, West Virginia .... there is a San .. errr ... there is a way. It's called SA.

HO avoidance: Heh. What can be said? You turned to face the enemy or he turned to face you ... or both. How did you get there? Are you in a low e-state? Did you see this coming? DO you see this coming? *blam* Did you see that coming? How's your rudders, mate? I bet if you had more e and didn't set yourself up in a position to get vulched or HOed so easily neither would happen as frequently. OR you can petition the rest of the community not to do it to you anymore. How about a barrel roll (if you have the e)? How about upping from a less likely spot to encounter something you're too low and slow to avoid as easily as you could if you had your ship at it's optimum corner speed?

Vulch avoidance: Same as above, really. Are you defending a base from capture? Are you outnumbered? Do you really expect to be allowed up and up to speed even at treetop level unmolested? Do you always plan on the generosity or chivalry of your opponent to dictate your fun, much less odds of success? I wouldn't recommend it. If you're gonna tilt at windmills best learn to enjoy doing it and not complain. Or at least stop it with the 459th version of the chivalry campaign. Everyone has a bad day/night/week .... doesn't always mean their personal misery requires the rest of the community to modify their behavior to become the cure.

Ack running: Ask yourself ... why is ack even modeled? "Oh, I dunno Arlo .... to give the Ack-lieds (or Ack-sis) a place to run back to?" Close but no cigar. It certainly wasn't modeled to make that an impossibility, though. Ack is a defense. Yeah, you know this. It makes it harder to go in and bomb a base to smithereens or sink a fleet without at least something in your way. What's this got to do with "Ack-running?" Since when does the existance of something on the map .... be it an ack battery .... a windmill ... whatever .... supposed to dictate where a player flies and fights in either an offensive or defensive role? If there was no ack at all, players would be thumping their chests and looking for a way to berate and embarrass other players for having denied them a kill ... or an easier one (which I find mor-ironic from the standpoint that some of the same "ack runner!" whines eminate from players who also whine that they're not being presented enough of a challenge by their skilless opponents) ... no matter what the circumstances were. The player who dove back to ack went defensive. It doesn't matter if the player lost confidence when it came to facing your superior mad AHII skillz or was bingo or pilot wounded or what. Your choice, at that point, is to follow him in to finish him off or fly the periphery to see if he returns. Sounds too simple? Well, it is. Does this mean nobody will ever feel frustration? Now what type of challenging and fun game would this be if that never happened? (heh) But it isn't grounds for a class action whine-suit to be filed on the AvA staff or a pact enforced on the AvA community involving "proper behavior." As much as some try to paint the AvA to be "The Grande Chivalry Arena" ... I, personally, disagree and never saw that there but on an individual basis. Nor did I ever really require it to have fun.

Player .... mind thy own ethical standard. Feel free to set the example for it but c'mon ... if it's something that's not an issue for the game designer/owner ..... don't run me over with your bandwagon or try to shove the "bird of unethicalness" argument up my nose. I will not stand by the petition (once again). I will not enforce my or anyone else's personal standards (or lack of them, for that matter) on another player. If I was active staff again, I wouldn't enforce anything outside of AHII TOS.

:D

(Disclaimer: The above is merely the long-time, long-winded opinion of Arlo [low stat, skilless dweeb that he is] and does not necessarily reflect the actual views of Hitechcreations, HTC, HT, Skuzzy, Pyro or anything officially affiliated with Aces High II - aka AHII - nor the body of it's staff, paid or volunteer.)

Warmongo stands up and applauds.....(clap, clap, clap, clap !!!)

Finally...someone has the common sense to put it all in perspective.. :salute :salute :salute :salute Arlo!

Listen up you bunch of tree huggers...LOL

Offline captain1ma

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • JG54 website
« Reply #34 on: April 11, 2008, 01:46:56 PM »
is that a yes or a no warmongo?

Offline Warmongo

• Copper Member
« Reply #35 on: April 11, 2008, 01:52:34 PM »
That is NO. You can have your private club back. :rolleyes:

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #36 on: April 11, 2008, 01:54:03 PM »
is that a yes or a no warmongo?

It's probably a yes. Sounded confusing.  [edit: whoops ... I was wrong. See? I got confused.] :D

VWE

« Reply #37 on: April 11, 2008, 01:58:56 PM »
I look at the AvA as the axis=republicans and acklies=demonocrats, why is it the axis always having to cave and step accross the isle to work with the acklies? I don't ever see it the other way around, just the demonocrats shoving it down our throats take it or leave it style.

Kinda like the CM staff, how many axis players are on it? Maybe 1 whom I can't remember when the last time I saw in the AvA actually flying. When primarily one side (acklies) are in charge it reminds me of a demonocratic house that just shoves anything and everything down our throats like it or not.

I say, mid war MA is the place to be!

Offline bkwolf

• Copper Member
      • http://www.avengersonline.com/index.html
« Reply #38 on: April 11, 2008, 02:01:49 PM »
ya'll know what a true HO is right?(its not the Doom,Quake..run up in your face HO.. ya'll know that right?)I say that because thats not what we have going on in the arena.As Rap said a front defflection is not a HO, but CH 200"nice HO"...sigh..C'mon.Im all for rules of engagement,but would all follow them?A real HO.. Im about 15, 20 degrees off a con as we merge, I kick rudder point my nose(for a brief second) and fire,Kill the "bad guy"His buddy cant stand for that... flew strait at me, shooting till Im dead, when he hits me head on broadcasts "nice HO"...Wiskey Tango Foxtrot?I like the fact that IN the AVA I fly against better than me,sometimes they teach me,sometimes I teach them :devil   :salute
Bkwolf
~Avengers~
AVA Axis

Currently MIA

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #39 on: April 11, 2008, 02:02:41 PM »
I look at the AvA as the axis=republicans and acklies=demonocrats, why is it the axis always having to cave and step accross the isle to work with the acklies? I don't ever see it the other way around, just the demonocrats shoving it down our throats take it or leave it style.

Kinda like the CM staff, how many axis players are on it? Maybe 1 whom I can't remember when the last time I saw in the AvA actually flying. When primarily one side (acklies) are in charge it reminds me of a demonocratic house that just shoves anything and everything down our throats like it or not.

I say, mid war MA is the place to be!

Then I'd say you're lost. Based on your post, alone, I'd say you're looking for the o-club or the general forum. But then ... perhaps there's a part of you ... no, nevermind .... you're lost. :D

VWE

« Reply #40 on: April 11, 2008, 02:07:31 PM »
Oh isn't that a hoot, arlo telling someone they are lost... pot-kettle-black!

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #41 on: April 11, 2008, 02:10:39 PM »
Oh isn't that a hoot, arlo telling someone they are lost... pot-kettle-black!

Whatever self-reassurance you need to carry on, Jethro. Just consider carrying it on back to the o-club.  :salute  :D

BTW ... as asked of others ... was that a yes or no regarding a petition to force other players to fight fair and adhere to a chivalric code of behavior? (And how does that play into your politi-stance take/whine on that, again?) ;)
« Last Edit: April 11, 2008, 02:20:08 PM by Arlo »

Offline JagdTankker

• Persona Non Grata
  • Copper Member
« Reply #42 on: April 11, 2008, 02:28:46 PM »
ya'll know what a true HO is right?(its not the Doom,Quake..run up in your face HO.. ya'll know that right?)I say that because thats not what we have going on in the arena.As Rap said a front defflection is not a HO, but CH 200"nice HO"...sigh..C'mon.Im all for rules of engagement,but would all follow them?A real HO.. Im about 15, 20 degrees off a con as we merge, I kick rudder point my nose(for a brief second) and fire,Kill the "bad guy"His buddy cant stand for that... flew strait at me, shooting till Im dead, when he hits me head on broadcasts "nice HO"...Wiskey Tango Foxtrot?I like the fact that IN the AVA I fly against better than me,sometimes they teach me,sometimes I teach them :devil   :salute

when 2 planes fly at each other

one planes dives downward to avoid a Head On shot, with the sense of having a clean fight

the plane not diving under takes the shot anyway

that is a head on shot

the reason the not diving under pilot took that shot is because he knows dang well that the pilot diving under and offering a clean fight will prolly shoot the non diving pilot down

which is why this always occurs.

today when i was in the AvA i had some good fights with a few 109's and 190's.All clean fights, heck i even let the one guy get back up to altitude (3-K) and we started again.

it is all up to each one of us to set the standard of game play.there are things that others do that none of us like and we must make that choice not to do those things.
<<---chasing the flock of Seagulls-aka JG/11

Offline captain1ma

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • JG54 website
« Reply #43 on: April 11, 2008, 02:36:34 PM »
Back to the topic: would you be willing to abide by rules of engagement in the new AVA scenario, if everyone else did the same thing??

Yes or No only please!  :)

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #44 on: April 11, 2008, 02:46:37 PM »
Yes or No only please!  :)

Seriously ... you're bringing this up but discouraging debate, counselor? If someone other than me has more opinion to express than a simple yes or no (along with their yes or no, implied, plainly stated or not) are you unwilling to discuss and reassess the merit(s) of your suggested community chivalric code enforcement? Respectfully and maturely ... that's not a reasonable request.

Now, having said that, I'll gladly step aside at this point as you demand one syllable responses to your recommendation.