Author Topic: OK,enuff with the furballers mentality!  (Read 7110 times)

Offline BnZ

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
Re: OK,enuff with the furballers mentality!
« Reply #45 on: April 11, 2008, 01:52:09 PM »
Irondog, two wrongs don't make a right.

Let me begin my saying I have often been guilty of going into the DA with the better sticks in my squad and staying until the wee hours of the morning. The chess-game aspect of 1v1ing in there while shooting the breeze on vox is often 10 times more fun and relaxing compared to the utter chaos of MA engagments. Even when Lambo/Creton/2cmex/Etoh beat me 20 of 20 times.

The MA is what it is. It is chaotic, and no fairness in regards to the engagements is observed. It does tend to reiterate the old saw "Speed is Life" and the fact that while poor-turning bricks are harder to get kills in, they are easier to survive in. This is a reality inherent to what we are simulating.

I have turned and burned in the weeds some but generally find it frustrating, as the MA is no place to find respecters of clean merges and 1v1s. It just seems fairly pointless and no fun to me to deliberately put oneself in a position where you will inevitably be pick-ganged to death, even if you go down with 3 or 4 in the bag. It seems to me there must some sort of balance between a total disregard for surviving the sortie vs. a failure to make a good-faith effort to destroy as many enemy aircraft as possible, or the spirit of the thing is warped in one direction or the other.

One more thing: This is a game. Anything and everything that happens in it is actually totally unimportant. Let us not take it or our view of how it "should" seriously enough to slander people we have never met. Getting out of bed in the morning and going to work requires more "courage and skill" than doing anything in this game ever will. When one looses sight of that, one should consider taking a break from this.

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #46 on: April 11, 2008, 01:53:02 PM »
<--- thinking of a way to send this thread "over the edge" as soon as Skuzzy packs it in and leaves for the weekend [sinister laugh/]  :D

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #47 on: April 11, 2008, 01:59:53 PM »
I'm tired of listening to the whining acm,furballing,advocates.People pay $14.95 a month to fly the way they want,in what they want.It would be nice if people would mind their own business.The truth is,that the furballing pretty much ended in WWI.Some of the high "choke" scoring pilots in AH are pickers.We need you furballers to provide us with targets,so keep on doing your Lufbery thing.You seldom see a picker belittleing a furballer that he has just dispatched,but the pickee rants and raves,and threaten the picker with the DA.Some are even threatning to quit AH if something isn't done to stop the way fights are taking place.I would submit a solution would be to have a fightertown like AW.The mob could go there and furball till the obese lady sings.The DA has a setup like that,but it is like the MA,but with smaller hordes.Next time you get picked,stop and think about the work the picker has put into his treachery.Can't we all just get along here and show some good sportsmanship?
IronDog

I'm trusting that this was said with scarcasm ID :)

If not....

The reason the picker says nothing is because he knows that he took the road of least resistance and killed a guy who was in a fight with someone else and potentially more then one someone else.  The picker did no work and knows it.  He just hung up there while the other guys on his team did the work.

If thats how he gets his kicks, it's his dime, but the guys down low mixing it up get frustrated that he's stealing someone elses work.

If I'm down low and slow in the 0ld 38G and  I've been fighting a guy who more often then not may be in a position to get me, and someone screams in a light speed and hits my low, slow and big target, I feel as bad for the guy who has been working the fight with me.

The other part of it is wishing people would get over the idea of score, 'living' or whatever you want to use as a reason to avoid the game.  The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight.  

I agree with you that folk pay their 15 bucks and can play how they choose, but as others have mentioned, it's hard to promote a style of game play that involves avoiding the fight.  Might as well play offline if that's what you enjoy.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #48 on: April 11, 2008, 02:59:06 PM »
The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight. 

Sig material there !!!
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline BiPoLaR

• Platinum Member
« Reply #49 on: April 11, 2008, 03:13:58 PM »
how bout i got through my films of me owning Irontwit with him trying to pick me in the horde he runs with
R.I.P. T.E.Moore (Dad) 9-9-45 - 7-16-10.
R.I.P. Wes Poss  (Best Friend) 11-14-75 - 5-2-14

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #50 on: April 11, 2008, 03:29:45 PM »
The other part of it is wishing people would get over the idea of score, 'living' or whatever you want to use as a reason to avoid the game.  The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight. 

I don't want to misinterpret you.  You're not saying that landing sorties/kills is unimportant, right? :confused:
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline IronDog

• Nickel Member
« Reply #51 on: April 11, 2008, 03:51:08 PM »
how bout i got through my films of me owning Irontwit with him trying to pick me in the horde he runs with
I don't run with a horde.I fly with the 71st RAF Squad,and they are a fine bunch.I feel honored to be a part off the Squadron.I won't get down to your level with the name calling.The squad you fly with could take a lesson from the 71st,as it appears to me that being rude and unsportsmanlike is a requirement to get in the Muppets.One of the 71st regulations is to not get involved with the name calling bunch,so I will cease my time wasting attempt to get some common decency out of your type.
IronDog

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #52 on: April 11, 2008, 03:55:55 PM »
I don't want to misinterpret you.  You're not saying that landing sorties/kills is unimportant, right? :confused:

I believe that he is saying that all of those stats are unimportant ... in his opinion.

The 'fight' (for him, I believe, and me as well) is what is important. It's all about the fight.

Once the 'fight' is over, win or lose, the 'fun' meter is reset and is ready for another 'fight' to be deposited.

Landing is only done when there is no more gas or bullets or the plane is completely not 'fightable' ... if one lives that long.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline BnZ

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #53 on: April 11, 2008, 03:57:39 PM »

If I'm down low and slow in the 0ld 38G and  I've been fighting a guy who more often then not may be in a position to get me, and someone screams in a light speed and hits my low, slow and big target, I feel as bad for the guy who has been working the fight with me.

The other part of it is wishing people would get over the idea of score, 'living' or whatever you want to use as a reason to avoid the game.  The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight.  

You see, things like this fall more into what I would call "kill stealing". Clearing sixes and giving help is okay. Setting up a "drag and bag" kill for someone else is okay. This is teamwork. Scorning teamwork in a multiplayer game is folly. But then there is what you might call anti-teamwork. Giving up energy and wasting ammo to shoot at the poor soon-to-be dead con who already has 2-3 friendlies on him is not okay. You should watch their backs and be ready to engage any high E cons coming into the area. Unwanted help in 1v1s falls into the same category, when a Green guy has a con well in hand, your job is to watch his back and distract Reds away from him. I have more than one film of occasions when I have engaged someone up high, the fight spirals downwards as it tends to do, and "my" con gets eaten by the Green swarm. Frustrating, but what ya gonna do? And no Sir, I will not be chasing him down into HIS swarm, not worth it.

"The other part of it is wishing people would get over the idea of score, 'living' or whatever you want to use as a reason to avoid the game.  The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

This is an extremist attitude. There is little incentive or justification to fly anything less maneuverable/faster than the opposition, with the attendant greater difficulties in killing, if you don't place at least some value on the ability to engage/disengage with will and RTB.

Let's face it, if we restrict ourselves purely to turn fighting, all airplanes in AHII must bow down to the mighty Val and admit their utter inferiority :D

But yeah, some of the less experienced guys flying speedsters around should learn a technique besides OPHA, to avoid giving great, storied planes like the P-51 and FW-190 a bad name, if nothing else. :aok

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #54 on: April 11, 2008, 03:57:52 PM »
snip One of the 71st regulations is to not get involved with the name calling bunch . . . snip
IronDog

But, but , but..... you called me Shuffler  :huh an an and that's a name  :P  

:aok
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline JagdTankker

• Persona Non Grata
  • Copper Member
« Reply #55 on: April 11, 2008, 04:04:07 PM »
I believe that he is saying that all of those stats are unimportant ... in his opinion.

The 'fight' (for him, I believe, and me as well) is what is important. It's all about the fight.

Once the 'fight' is over, win or lose, the 'fun' meter is reset and is ready for another 'fight' to be deposited.

Landing is only done when there is no more gas or bullets or the plane is completely not 'fightable' ... if one lives that long.

EXACTLY

if you land kills afterward that is just a bonus.
<<---chasing the flock of Seagulls-aka JG/11

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #56 on: April 11, 2008, 04:14:17 PM »

In laymen's terms:  Stop using score/rank as an excuse not to fight.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline WWhiskey

• Gold Member
« Reply #57 on: April 11, 2008, 04:18:13 PM »
 i like to furball, sometimes, but i also like to fly different planes every month so as to get better in each one!(god knows i need to get better) so when i am in a plane that furballs i try to do so, and i hate too get picked, its just human nature, you put effort into doing something right then it just gets shot too heck!
so when im in a plane that picks better than anything else, thats what i do! 50 cal.s blazing, screaming down from above, hopeing my victim doesnt see me or is too slow to turn out of my way, sometimes it works and wow its cool, sometimes it does not and i hit the ground at 500+mph, either way i was just here too have fun! and maybe get the feeling, that some of my hero's had, when they did some spectaculer feat in an airplane!! my favorite pilot was Richard Bong and i doubt he got all his kills in a  turn fight i bet most came from the pick! i also like Chuck Yeager and the feeling i get when i'm nose up in a pony just waiting for that guy behind me too fall off so i can dog him all the way back down! or Robin Olds, pulling that p-38 out of that dive just feet of the ground after compressing thinking i can't believe i didn't die! and where is that bad guy?
so pay your money and have your fun and try not too let the other players get you down,,,,, or atleast dont let them see you sweat!
Flying since tour 71.

Offline scot12b

• Silver Member
« Reply #58 on: April 11, 2008, 04:40:55 PM »
I don`t believe Bipolar called out your squad? Irondog I see you know very little about the Muppets do you see me or Wax or a lot of other Muppets on 200 talking smack or on here the BB. Do me a favor if you have a problem with a person take it up with them not the squad :t
« Last Edit: April 11, 2008, 04:42:31 PM by scot12b »

Offline Puck

• Gold Member
« Reply #59 on: April 11, 2008, 04:47:39 PM »
In laymen's terms:  Stop using score/rank as an excuse not to fight.

ack-ack

AN UNBELIEVER!  KILL THE HERITIC!
//c coad  c coad run  run coad run
main (){char _[]={"S~||(iuv{nkx%K9Y$hzhhd\x0c"},__
,___=1;for(__=___>>___;__<((___<<___<<___<<___<<___
)+(___<<___<<___<<___)-___);__+=___)putchar((_[__
])+(__/((___<<___)+___))-((___&