Author Topic: Squad level mini event for the SEA "CV WARS"  (Read 984 times)

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
Squad level mini event for the SEA "CV WARS"
« on: January 20, 2001, 02:18:00 PM »
The CV WARS Design concept is as follows,
to setup a series of squad vs squad Task Group battles in the SEA Arena. The main idea would be to have 8 man teams man all 6 task groups in the current ndisles terrain.

The arena would be setup so that all 6 TG's are fairly close to each other, just out of visual range from each other. All aircraft & vehicles would be disabled with the exception of PT boats enabled for recon and spotting purposes. Last fleet left alive would of course be the winner of that frame.

Teams would consist of 8 players maximum, no minimum. However in a fleet vs fleet guns battle every man counts. Teams may be existing squadrons that wish to compete together, groups of friends, or any 8 people who can get together and agree on a captain.

Preregistration is going to be required as follows. I will start a new thread in this forum. Captains will post the handles of their team members. Depending on interest frames will be held on a first posted first played basis. Example, the first 6 captains to post their teams would be selected to play the first frame. They would be notified that they had been selected & reminded of the time & date for the event. Then if we get 6 more registations those 6 will play the next frame.

Frames will be held on Sundays possibly starting Jan 21 at 3:00 EST. However, if 4 or more captains from Europe or other time zone requested it I would set up a special time for at least one frame to accomidate your time zone.

Because I am expecting these battles to be of epic porportions we will play one frame per week until all had a chance. Winners from each frame will then have the chance to play against each other in a championship round.

Which squadron will get the bragging rights???

This would be a one life event, field gunners and pt boats would be enabled at start, once the event starts all flight opperations would be disabled. Once a TG is sunk and the fleet respawns that team would be considered killed. (when fleet respawns all manned guns are kicked back to tower) Captains would have the choice of where they put their men with the understanding that once the event starts they will be there for the duration.

This should allow for some interesting diversity of tatics, more PT's for recon & spotting or more gunners? Attack first or hide and wait for better odds?

Visual range from TG to TG is aprox 16 miles,
fleets will be placed in starting position just prior to launch. Task groups will likely be between 20 & 40 miles from their nearest neighbor, and all 6 fleets will be in roughly
a 9 sector box. There will be some small islands in the area to make things interesting.

Teams would be randomly assigned to a country & Taskgroup and may have their country changed dureing the frame to prevent teamwork & premade plans or cooperation between fleets.

Contact your friends, tell them to read this writeup (Please!), choose a captain, and have him post the game handles of his team.

If anyone has any questions or wishes clarification on rules or timeing please feel free to email me at billj69@qwest.net

------------------
Maj Ghosth
XO 332nd Flying Mongrels
AH Trainer Corp

[This message has been edited by Ghosth (edited 01-20-2001).]

Offline Ghosth

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2001, 06:38:00 PM »
(clipped from post on the main board by rojo concerning CV Wars)

Rojo   posted 01-22-2001 10:14 AM                

Buccaneers reporting for duty (with a squad name like that, we HAVE to be a part of this ). I'll volunteer as
                        Commodore for the time being (I'll ask my squadies to either ratify me in the position, or pick someone else).
                        This sounds great! I used to play a table-top war game called "Battlewagon," and it'l be interesting to see
                        how close to that very impressive game this virtual re-enactment comes.

I concur with your decision to keep a/c out of this, Ghosth. What you're really simulating here is a
                        Jutland-era naval conflict, and a/c had virtually no role in that grand little yacht race. The PTs will serve
                        admirably as scouts, though I am concerned that only allowinig a max of eight players will make scouting very
                        hard. I'd like to suggest you allow a max of four PT's per fleet, but with the understanding that PT skippers
                        be allowed a second life to man guns once they die the first time. This will make for some suicide runs by the
                        PT's, but hey: they were expendable, right (remember that old John Wayne move, "They Were Expendable?)?

There are some problems with the scenario that we'll have to live with, of course. First, if the cv dies the
                        fleet dies. This is neither reasonable in a fleet-on-fleet exercise, nor realistic. No way to turn this off,
                        unfortunately.
(snippage)....................

I find that I concurr with this idea. So the following amendment will be made.

Each fleet will be allowed 4 PT boats to start. Each pt boat pilot will upon death or exiting will be allowed to man a gun position. They will however not be allowed to reup in a PT boat. Upon death pt boat pilots should Private msg me, stateing that they died, and which task group they are a part of.

Does anyone have a problem with this proposed change? If so I would like to hear about it now, not midframe.

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2001, 07:45:00 AM »
Put VMF-323 down, but there are some concerns at using the CV guns in close combat...also, whats the object, to sink the enemy CV's?  I would imagine so...if so, then maybe have a time limit,then count the surviving CV's?  Need more details!

Offline Ghosth

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2001, 08:00:00 AM »
Rip, this is a last man standing type event.
Last man left alive is the winner.

What concerns with cv guns in close combat rip?

No time limit planned, although hopefully we can wrap this up in 2 hours.

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2001, 08:47:00 AM »

Originally posted by Ghosth:
Rip, this is a last man standing type event.
Last man left alive is the winner.

Hmm, then I could put all of my men in CV gunner positions, they won't die unless the CV's are sunk...

What concerns with cv guns in close combat rip?

See above.

No time limit planned, although hopefully we can wrap this up in 2 hours.

Okay, so if 8 vs 8 get up, then we basically furball til one side is completely down? One life?  What if I put 4 in gunner positions and leave 4 to draw enemy into my fleet ack?

Offline Ghosth

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2001, 01:40:00 PM »
Rip, did you miss where I said all planes & vehicles EXCEPT Pt boats would be disabled?

This is strickly a fleet vs fleet surface engagement. There are 3 8" guns, 4 5" guns, (plus the smaller AA) that can be manned. As well as the option of launching up to 4 pt boats for recon & spotting purposes.

I "Think" that what it will come down to is a combination of excellent scouting & spotting from PT boats, coupled with some good gunners in the 8" guns. I know some guys out there are killing CV's at VERY long ranges with the 8" guns.

Offline Mars

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.screaminmeanies.com
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2001, 07:48:00 PM »
Hey Ghost!   Put The Screamin Meanies down...we have patched our water wings and scored 6 cases of Dramamine. We're READY
    However...do we have to have the same registered guys play every match? I can't guarantee the same sailors week in and week out. I got 5 now and prolly a few more will mosy in once they get outa hack  

Mars(CO) T.S.M
"NO!!......NO!!!!..I WON'T eat it!!"
                    -Christopher Walken in "Mouse Hunt"-

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2001, 01:30:00 PM »
I knew that Evelene's class on speed reading would hurt me...skipped right past it Ghost, my apologies!

Actually, not sure if we have any closet gunners in VMF-323, will check before registering.

[This message has been edited by Ripsnort (edited 01-24-2001).]

Offline Ghosth

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2001, 05:53:00 AM »
LOL none needed rip you bald headed thread jumper!

Offline hblair

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.cybrtyme.com/personal/hblair/mainpage.htm
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2001, 01:51:00 PM »
Unfortunately, The assassins are a no-go hosth. I wasn't able to round up near enough fellas.

Sorry,
hblair

Offline Ghosth

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2001, 05:46:00 PM »
Cancelled for lack of interest & real life problems.  Sorry guys, If I can get 6 teams together I'd still like to try this.

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2001, 09:08:00 AM »
Rgr, Ghost, only got back 3 replies from my squad..