Author Topic: Arena Etiquette (Do's and Don'ts)  (Read 1085 times)

Offline shotgunneeley

• Silver Member
Arena Etiquette (Do's and Don'ts)
« on: April 22, 2008, 09:23:18 AM »
Ok, I just had a quick couple of questions regarding arena etiquette:

1) As far as I know about bombing, it is o.k. to bomb airfields and vehicle bases on the front lines, but not deep behind enemy lines, correct? Also Fuel, Radar Fac, AA Fac, etc can be bombed no matter where they are, right?

2) Intentional ramming and then bailing out is unappropriate, right? I know that this was going on back in WWII but what about in the AHII.

3) Just to add to the bailing out part, what happens if you were to hit the silk? Does anyone ever bail out in the game or do most people just ride their burning planes to the ground?

This is all I can think of for the moment. If anyone would like to add anything, please do. Thanks in advance for the replies.
"Lord, let us feel pity for Private Jenkins, and sorrow for ourselves, and all the angel warriors that fall. Let us fear death, but let it not live within us. Protect us, O Lord, and be merciful unto us. Amen"-from FALLEN ANGELS by Walter Dean Myers

Game ID: ShtGn (Inactive), Squad: 91st BG

Offline BnZ

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
Re: Arena Etiquette (Do's and Don'ts)
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2008, 09:39:06 AM »
1. Bomb the crap out of anything you want. If you fly two sectors behind the lines to bomb something it'll take forever, they'll have more time to see and intercept, and bombing a base that isn't on/near the front is usually pretty meaningless anyway...but hey, your $15

2. If you run into someone from behind, generally your planes falls out of the sky and theirs doesn't take damage...no skin off their nose. If you mutually hit on your front ends, y'all misjudged your HOs :devil , avoid this situation in the future.

3. Bail or don't, no one cares. Just .ef quickly if you don't want to be shot in your parachute. Just don't "bomb and bail" to get another flights of buffs quicker. That is unrealistic to the poing of being really lame. Also, you are much better off riddling fighters with the Incredible Synchronized Firepower of Death(I's F'ed for short, tm) of your buff formation than just giving some guy 3 proxies.

Offline DoNKeY

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2008, 09:46:12 AM »
Ok, I just had a quick couple of questions regarding arena etiquette:

1) As far as I know about bombing, it is o.k. to bomb airfields and vehicle bases on the front lines, but not deep behind enemy lines, correct? Also Fuel, Radar Fac, AA Fac, etc can be bombed no matter where they are, right?

2) Intentional ramming and then bailing out is unappropriate, right? I know that this was going on back in WWII but what about in the AHII.

3) Just to add to the bailing out part, what happens if you were to hit the silk? Does anyone ever bail out in the game or do most people just ride their burning planes to the ground?

This is all I can think of for the moment. If anyone would like to add anything, please do. Thanks in advance for the replies.

Bomb what ever you want.  Some people will hit just one airfield on a front line, while some will hit just the radar on a couple of front line bases.  Then, you'll have guys who fly back behind enemy lines, but they mostly just hit starts (which you can bomb and do damage to) or the countries HQ, since it would be really hard to take a base way deep in someone else's territory.  Basically, bomb whatever, whenever you want, just have fun.

You might get some grief for intentionally ramming, but then again it is your money so do what you want, and it's probably going to be hard to tell most of the time if a guy was going for a ram or just trying to get a close in shot (as long as you didn't say run right up his six).

If you bail, then you'll fall to the ground and die pretty quickly unless you press 'O' to open your chute, which will then give you a .45 pistol and a slow descent down.  You can shoot at people, and when on the ground you can move.  I've seen people bail and sit by a map room with their gun waiting to shoot enemy troops.  I would rather just ride my plane in if it's short, or bail and then .ef and up a new plane if I have critical damage.

donkey
2sBlind

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2008, 09:55:03 AM »
It's your $15.  Play however you want.  When you're finally called names on ch. 200 or PM'd, you'll know you have "arrived".

If you're interested what others think, read the general forums.  Etiquette issues are discussed ad nauseum and no one agrees thus my comment... play how you want.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2008, 10:33:54 AM »
It's your $15.  Play however you want.  When you're finally called names on ch. 200 or PM'd, you'll know you have "arrived".

If you're interested what others think, read the general forums.  Etiquette issues are discussed ad nauseum and no one agrees thus my comment... play how you want.

If I do not tune 200, is it still possible to "arrive" :D?  LOL  Anyway shotgun, play the way you want, but some behaviors are frowned upon, some more fiercely than others.  A couple of simple rules:

1)Give out check sixes whenever you can, you will get them back in droves! :aok

2)Try to avoid shooting at a plane that someone has already downed (unless it's a squaddie then all bets are off :lol).

3)Otherwise have fun and fly how you like, the learning curve is steep but worth the ride.

Oink
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline HomeBoy

• Nickel Member
      • HomeBoy's Inventions
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2008, 10:38:27 AM »
There is (or should be) a definite etiquette to playing Aces High.  What is on that list is certainly a long and hot debate as BaldEagl aptly points out.

I personally do not feel either of the issues you bring up are on the etiquette list.  If you like to blow stuff up, by all means, go out and do it.  If people don't like it, they'll put a raid together to go out and find your scrawny  behind and put a stop to it!  The subject of HO'ing is voluminous and IMHO boring to no end.  If you don't like to get HO'ed (and I hate it btw!!) then don't get in that position.  Very simple.  As Brian Regan says "Don't stand directly in front of a cannon.  How true that is!"  Naturally, you'll catch crap about it if you tune to 200 and the whiner may even PM you directly to give you grief.  Just maintain a thick skin with a dash of humor and you'll do well.

Here are a couple of thoughts about what are genuine etiquette "rules":

1. Try not to take another guy's kill.  If I shoot a guy and his wing flies off, don't chase the carcass down and try and get the kill yourself.  That truly is lame.  If I get a bomber on fire, that bomber WILL NOT get back home and if you finish it off, that too is pretty crappy.  It's just a courtesy.

2. Be respectful with the radio.  Have fun with the banter, etc. but keep in mind that there are others around who are not directly involved in what you're doing and just give them a bit of respect.  Excessive "I own you you dweeb!" and all that gets old pretty quick so again, courtesy is the key.

I'm sure there are other things but those are the main ones to me.
The Hay Street Boys

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2008, 10:47:55 AM »

BnZ mentioned it already, but I might add just for the record that intentional ramming is quite hard to to, contrary to popular belief. If you fly right into your enemy, chances are good that only you take damage. See "How lag affects Aces High" on the Trainer's homepage for an explanation why: http://trainers.hitechcreations.com/
« Last Edit: April 22, 2008, 10:49:31 AM by Lusche »
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2008, 10:48:57 AM »
dblpost  :furious
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline SPKmes

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2008, 01:41:04 PM »
Do's        If it's green, help them in any way possible
             If it's red, death to it
             tune to 200 and have a laugh when you down somebody who thinks his s#!t doesn't stink.
Dont's     anything you don't like happening to you. Sometimes it happens though.

Offline shotgunneeley

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2008, 03:07:18 PM »
That all sounds about right. I guess what I was trying to confirm were the issues that get people really heated, the stuff that you do that causes people either to cheer or jeer. But I guess those issues are pretty few and far between in AH. So just to sum it up: bomb anything you want, bail for a quick quit or crash, dont steal anyones kill, and just dont be a jerk. Pretty simple, thanks yall.
"Lord, let us feel pity for Private Jenkins, and sorrow for ourselves, and all the angel warriors that fall. Let us fear death, but let it not live within us. Protect us, O Lord, and be merciful unto us. Amen"-from FALLEN ANGELS by Walter Dean Myers

Game ID: ShtGn (Inactive), Squad: 91st BG

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2008, 03:33:54 PM »
1st, ignore 99% of folks telling you how to play the game....

2nd, nothing is ever absolutely right or wrong...

3rd, if you ever manage to intentionally ram someone more then likely you'll take damage and they wont.

Now here are the few things that are generally verboten but arent (i'll give examples)

Head On (shooting at guy flying at you)

1) if he's flying at you then either he's stupid or he's planning on shooting you. Now when both guys fly a "clean merge" then often an implied fairfight exists. It's not fair IMO to start a fair fight in well matched planes then HO a guy once your going to lose. However there are exceptions even here...

a) your in a plane like a P-47 and are in a fight with a spit16 you need to engae do to E state etc...so you bleed E and get him turning to either extend or force a frontal shot. You give up your E to force a shot and he tries to turn into you to "square up"...hose him :aok

b) the con has more E and goes vertical, you lay low and pull up into his would be "rope" and catch him starting down...again light him up

To many guys whine about a HO when the reality is they need to learn ACM..

Kill stealing

As a general rule kill stealing is frowned on (rightfully so) and is considered shooting at a plane that is so damaged it cant fight (or often even keep flying). Most of the time you wont get the kill but it does happen.

However...

a) A burning plane isnt dead, hell its not even damaged till the wing goes...shoot it

b) A plane missing a part isnt going down, 80% of the time when a guy calls out a kill over range it isnt. If its in controlled flight kill it..

c) If you originally engaged the con you have a right to shoot at it even if some other guy cherried it. If you shot it 1st you can keep shooting it...

d) some guys are fun to aggravate or are poor "team mates". I rarely will swoop a kill but i've got a dozen or more guys I wont help and will swoop a kill from anytime I can. Why? Because I dont like them :aok

None of the stuff you mentioned is an issue BTW. I only hit the silk if I think I can land by the enemy field and play GI Joe...I once landed 5 kills in a chute. I had 3 and got killed (we was a vulthin {I suck at vulching so I only had 3 :cry} and an ack popped me. I bailed and ack got popped...waddled up to the end of runway and popped guys taking off (got credit for 2 more) and we took the field...so when I towered out I got 5 kills :rofl :rofl

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2008, 03:39:38 PM »
Like stated. Bomb whatever you want, and bomb the crap out of it. You will get whiners if it's the only front line base the defenders can up from. But like stated, your $15. I personally up a set of B17s with 250lb bombs and climb to 32K or so, and then pick off the frontline radar's and slowly work my way backwards. Then usually head back to the front lines and lie in wait for the dar's to pop back up, and take them back down again. :D
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2008, 06:17:00 PM »
There's a page on the Trainers site on this subject by the way
http://trainers.hitechcreations.com/etiquette/etiquette.htm

Offline BnZ

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2008, 07:23:19 PM »
1st, ignore 99% of folks telling you how to play the game....

a) your in a plane like a P-47 and are in a fight with a spit16 you need to engae do to E state etc...so you bleed E and get him turning to either extend or force a frontal shot. You give up your E to force a shot and he tries to turn into you to "square up"...hose him :aok

b) the con has more E and goes vertical, you lay low and pull up into his would be "rope" and catch him starting down...again light him up

First, my opinion on HOs: There are no fair or unfair tactics, just smart and stupid tactics. Since HOs don't fit in with my "fly to live" philosophy and an offered HO is often a good opening for an easy kill, I refuse them 99% of the time.

A: If in my judgement he can possibly turn it into a HO/RAM situation, I pull off. Even if it turns out I have to extend and let him go, it is just not worth it to bite on some sort of M.A.D. scenario. OTOH, situations where he ALMOST turns quick enough to HO but still bites it are priceless...takes some judgement to know one from the other though.

B: Snap, pulling this move in the vertical is fundamentally no different than just swapping ends and going for a head-on-pass in the horizontal. People do this because a plane coming straight down on their canopy while controlling  speed has a fair chance of solving their gunnery problem, so they turn it into a game of chicken instead. Now I don't believe there are "ethics" to a computer game...if you are committed to throwing caution to the wind and think your HurriIIC stands a good chance in a slugfest with his 109 say, go for it! If you win, bully for you. But if you LOOSE this sort of contest, you don't have a leg to stand on for complaining either.HO is a HO, bro. It is definitely not flying to live. You could roll to show your side and do a jink, he still stands a fair chance of missing, he still overshoots below you, leaving you in the catbird seat.

But its good for Neeley to hear about this sort of thing, so he can watch for it and avoid it in the MA.

Offline goober69

• Nickel Member
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2008, 08:53:10 PM »
i will ho if i belive there is a fair chance the guy cant get guns on me, rest of the time i avoid and go for clean merge/ lead turn.

ill only try the ho shot if i can kick rudder and put bullets in their flight path. (requires an enemy that makes it easy)

still find myself trying for it rarely its more fun to outfly them.

if someone makes a kill easy take it.

now say your five or ten on one ill try to ho and take one with me :D lol
flying as Marvin57
"we few we happy few,
  we band of brothers;"
W.S  Henery V