Author Topic: How good are AH scenarios?  (Read 610 times)

Xander

How good are AH scenarios?
« on: February 13, 2001, 07:45:00 AM »

I am a long term WB player who has yet to sign up for AH. Can someone out there with good experience of scenarios in both games tell me how they compare?

Xander

Offline Duckwing6

• Copper Member
      • http://www.pink.at
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2001, 11:21:00 AM »
can't really say for the WB scenarios .. but i can tell you some things on how we compare:

we don't have the huge planeset (yet) needed to avoide having to use substitute planes

Some of us (me for example) have just started here to make event writeups and some of the edges might be still rough

The player base is smaller

what we do have is:

A team that tries it's best and is fast learning  

Customizable Terrains !

controllable ships, vehicles, etc which adds to the diversity of scenario play.

YOu can have a look at the events writeups at:

events.hitechcreation.com

For a previous event example go:
Snapshot -> Target Malta

For a sample After Action report go here:
Target Malta AAR page

Regards
DW6 - CM Corps

Xander

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2001, 08:36:00 AM »

Thanks, I did look at the AARs and they are very nice, that Malta one is better than the ones in WB.  More pictures would help me decide but I suppose even in WB few people take pictures during a mission.   Maybe someone from 249 will read this post and give me an answer as I know they have flown in both.

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2001, 08:06:00 AM »
I'm not sure people are used to runing the inflight camera yet.

I missed the first major scenario   and so I will sacrifice a myriad of farm animals to help ensure I make the nex one. And I'll be taking pix, film and putting them up on a web page then.

-Westy

Offline Torgo

• Zinc Member
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2001, 11:02:00 AM »
I was in WB for several years, quit a little bit after HT and PYRO left, and started AH about three months ago.

I was in Solomons (I was Allied XO under Tone in that one), Pointblank, etc.

I'm unfamiliar with what has gone on in WB the last 1-2 years scenariowise.

It's pretty clear that over the next couple years, I think, that AH scenarios will surpass WB (particularly if WB3 is really delayed.)  The terrain editor, player-controlled fleets, ground vehicles etc. will go a long way towards that. RIGHT now, I think the CM tools and such are a bit behind WB. Again, I'm a little uncertain of recent WB developments.

I was in Afrika Korps (the recent AH large scenario) and while it was enjoyable I think I had more fun in, say, Solomons (mainly because I was in a command position in that and big scenarios were more "new.")

But I strongly suspect in the next year AH scenarios will surpass anything WB ever did. More planes will help that, and it looks like the additions will be rapid. Even Afrika Korps was missing a lot of planes it should have had.

Xander

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2001, 08:46:00 AM »

Thanks Torgo,  

Much as I suspected it is still a bit early to really see how AH scenarios are going to turn out.

In answer to your uncertaintly about how WB scenarios have developed,  The CM tools have not changed much in the last few years apart from it being a bit easier to tweak Buff otto and hardness settings.  A few speciality maps have been produced just for scenarios, eg Midway , but it is still tricky even for the IEN staff.  WB3 promises to make it all a lot easier plus new aircraft will be a a lot easier to produce too (they claim one a month!). As far as I know WB has no plans for player controlled fleets or ground vehicles so AH will stay in the lead there (until WW2OL gets going maybe) . To be honest I can't think of many historical recreations that really *need* player controlled fleets to work but it is true that there have been a few scenarios where we had to attack buildings or ships and pretend they were tanks  

Xander

funked

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2001, 05:47:00 PM »
Xander I have flown big WB scenarios (Pointblank, Blitzkrieg, New Guinea, Battle of Britain), S3 (too many to list) and SL's.  Afrika Korps was as good as any of these and the Snapshots are also very good, similar to SL.