Author Topic: TOD SUGGESTIONS  (Read 1172 times)

Offline skernsk

• Platinum Member
TOD SUGGESTIONS
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2001, 11:30:00 AM »
There are always squads looking to fill their roster.  Look for posts later in the week that a TOD is running.

Offline jpeg

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.steveo.us
TOD SUGGESTIONS
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2001, 05:17:00 PM »
Originally posted by sling322:

We do let walk-ons play jpeg.  You must be a member of a squad in the TOD though....
it doesnt affect MA squads in any way.  Because of the way scoring is run, everybody must be registered on the TOD site at Events HQ.  The log files that Exile uses to compile stats dont show squad affiliation, so everybody has to be pre-registered on the Events site so that his stats compiler can attribute points to the proper squads.

So, until you at least try to get a guest spot with one of the TOD squads, you dont know what you are missing.    :)

If I have to ask to be a guest spot on a squad to play that defeats the whole notion of a "walkon".

What I mean is that besides the registered squads you should open up TOD so anyone can join that night. Like snapshots.

Restricting TOD to presigned squads and then on top of that not allowing other squads to play until spots open up is just plain wrong and discriminate.

Offline Steven

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
      • http://members.cox.net/barking.pig/puke.htm
TOD SUGGESTIONS
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2001, 10:28:00 AM »
I really can't believe all the complaining going on lately.

My impression of TOD is that walkons really will not work for what is strived for here.  The TOD is setup so that those players who fly with each other on a regular basis can fly in events and not be shuffled around to make the sides even or be mixed in with other squadrons.  And to do this, the designers of the TOD probably need a good idea of how many squadrons will participate so that they can create a theater which will have enough targets and chances of encountering the enemy.  Besides, you can fill a guest spot with a squadron and it only takes 5-minutes to join a squadron in the SE arena.  You just click the "accept" button when invited, then leave the arena and come back so you are logged in correctly...2-minutes...5-minutes?   I don't see the problem in humoring everyone and just doing this huge inconvenience.  

I personally like that there is a squad-only event available.  The flavor differs from all the other events available that just mix people up and jumble players together to make the sides even.  Right now numbers may fluctuate a little bit because of the holidays.  People are away visiting family or have engagements and parties.  I've been to company parties and have seen two young children of mine sing in school Xmas recitles.  Overall, the numbers in the TOD are still going strong and I look forward to the next frames!

Offline Steven

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
      • http://members.cox.net/barking.pig/puke.htm
TOD SUGGESTIONS
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2001, 10:38:00 AM »
<<What I mean is that besides the registered squads you should open up TOD so anyone can join that night. Like snapshots.

Restricting TOD to presigned squads and then on top of that not allowing other squads to play until spots open up is just plain wrong and discriminate.>>

JPeG, it sounds almost as if you've not flown a TOD.  The TODs are setup unlike any other event from my unerstanding.  I wish someone in the "know" would pop in and explain how they are created, but there is no assurance that a squad will even see action.  It's not like Snapshots or other events where everyone knows what target is being attacked and thus defended.  These are setup with much "gray area."  To make this work, the designers HAVE to know who and how many are participating ahead of time.  Sometimes you run into overwhelming opposition and sometimes find a cake-walk and sometimes find the action even.  It is different and I hope no one mucks with it.

Offline sling322

• Gold Member
TOD SUGGESTIONS
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2001, 06:50:00 PM »
Originally posted by jpeg:

If I have to ask to be a guest spot on a squad to play that defeats the whole notion of a "walkon".

What I mean is that besides the registered squads you should open up TOD so anyone can join that night. Like snapshots.

Restricting TOD to presigned squads and then on top of that not allowing other squads to play until spots open up is just plain wrong and discriminate.

It cannot be done because of the scoring pages and stuff that Exile manages.  If we just allowed anyone to walk into the arena then we would be wasting the work that Exile puts into maintaining the scoring pages for the TOD.  Basically what it boils down to is that the logs that HTC gives us for scoring doesnt associate whether you are in a squad or not.  So Exile takes his database of "registered" players and sorts the stats through it so that he can attribute points to the proper side.

I understand your desire to 'walk-on' Jpeg, but really its not that hard.  Get a current TOD squad to name you as a Guest and put you on their roster.  Then just show up on Friday nites when you can.  Problem solved.   :)  Hell send a message to Fatty.  The FDBs always need pilots since Skernsk and I cant always fly now that we are involved in the CM team.

Offline skernsk

• Platinum Member
TOD SUGGESTIONS
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2001, 08:32:00 PM »
Another reason for no walk-ons is that at the start of the week objectives are sent to frame C.O's.

Frame C.O's then send orders to the individual "squads" that are registered.  These squads will practice (not FDB's) their missions.

Basically everyone knows what they are doing before the event starts.  Walk-ons would make everyone wait while you are briefed as to your orders.  

And several squads need guest pilots every week...some even keep the pilots in their squad.

Offline daddog

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.332nd.org
TOD SUGGESTIONS
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2001, 08:40:00 PM »

I have yet to turn down a squad that wants to fly in the TOD. I have dropped a couple that did not show up to play, but everyone gets a chance. The same goes for single pilots that want to try it out. With 18 squads to choose from you can find a slot if you want.  

Exile could set up the parsers for walk on's but I will not have it. If you ever doubt the success of these kinds of events I suggest you take a peek at the S3's in Warbirds. The two events are very similar and they have over 200 per frame at times. I am aiming for those numbers and the same kind of dedicated squads.  We are only 4 months old and have over a 100 per frame. I think it is working fine.
Noses in the wind since 1997
332nd Flying Mongrels
daddog
Knowing for Sure