Author Topic: Syrian Nukes  (Read 2880 times)

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
Syrian Nukes
« on: April 25, 2008, 06:01:11 PM »
Does anyone else believe that if Israel and the US had turned over their surveillance to the UN rather than acting Syria would still be in the nuke business?

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,352553,00.html
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline SD67

• Gold Member
Re: Syrian Nukes
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2008, 06:22:25 PM »
Yes.
The UN no longer has viable teeth. They would have talked circles around the issue for years until Syria had completed their program and possibly even begun to crank out nukes.
9GIAP VVS RKKA
You're under arrest for violation of the Government knows best act!
Fabricati diem, punc
Absinthe makes the Tart grow fonder

Offline evenhaim

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2008, 07:46:33 PM »
get bitten by the snake, or bite its head off before it strikes?
Freez/Freezman
Army of Muppets
I could strike down 1,000 bulletin board accounts in 5 seconds.
You want ownage, I'll give you ownage! -Skuzzy
I intend to live forever - so far, so good.

Offline Lumpy

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2008, 07:52:13 PM »
Let me just play Devil's advocate for a moment: Doesn't Syria have the right to develop nuclear technology like Israel did? Considering the turbulent relationship between Israel and Syria over the years, aren't Syria justified in developing nukes since Israel already has them? They have a right to defend themselves.
“I’m an angel. I kill first borns while their mommas watch. I turn cities into salt. I even – when I feel like it – rip the souls from little girls and now until kingdom come the only thing you can count on, in your existence, is never ever understanding why.”

-Archangel Gabriel, The P

Offline C(Sea)Bass

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2008, 08:45:17 PM »
Let me just play Devil's advocate for a moment: Doesn't Syria have the right to develop nuclear technology like Israel did?
no they do not. I beleive there are various treaties that prohibit this.

Offline Hornet33

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2008, 08:50:30 PM »
Yeah but Israel has never stated that Syria and all muslims around the world should be wiped from the face of the earth. Syria, Iran, and most of the other nut job countries over there have declared that about Israel and the Jewish people. Also Syria has attacked Israel with full scale military operations several times, and got their butts handed to them every time.

Syria has no need for nukes and if they had them do you think they wouldn't use them, or sell them to terrorists to use in Israel, the US, or any number of countries in Europe?
AHII Con 2006, HiTech, "This game is all about pissing off the other guy!!"

Offline Lumpy

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2008, 08:53:02 PM »
Yeah but Israel has never stated that Syria and all muslims around the world should be wiped from the face of the earth.

Would you kindly quote a Syrian official stating that?
“I’m an angel. I kill first borns while their mommas watch. I turn cities into salt. I even – when I feel like it – rip the souls from little girls and now until kingdom come the only thing you can count on, in your existence, is never ever understanding why.”

Offline Mark Luper

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2008, 08:55:30 PM »
Let me just play Devil's advocate for a moment: Doesn't Syria have the right to develop nuclear technology like Israel did? Considering the turbulent relationship between Israel and Syria over the years, aren't Syria justified in developing nukes since Israel already has them? They have a right to defend themselves.

Putting nukes or nuclear technology in the hands of the Syrians will only further agravate a ticklish situation. The more likely scenario would be Israel needing to defend itself against a nuclear attack rather than vice-versa.

Mark
MarkAT

Keep the shiny side up!

Offline Lumpy

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2008, 08:55:46 PM »
no they do not. I beleive there are various treaties that prohibit this.

Those are UN treaties, NPT in particular. I thought the UN was irrelevant these days? And in any case Syria can just leave the treaty like North Korea did in 2003.

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2008, 08:58:37 PM »
Would you kindly quote a Syrian official stating that?
How about puppets of the Syrian government, like Iran or Hammas. WOuld that suffice your request?

Offline Lumpy

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2008, 08:59:27 PM »
Putting nukes or nuclear technology in the hands of the Syrians will only further agravate a ticklish situation. The more likely scenario would be Israel needing to defend itself against a nuclear attack rather than vice-versa.

Mark

I think the Syrians see things differently, and they are probably not much interested in what you think is "likely".

Offline Lumpy

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2008, 09:00:45 PM »
How about puppets of the Syrian government, like Iran or Hammas. WOuld that suffice your request?

Iran a puppet of the Syrian government?  :lol

And the answer to your question is: No.

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2008, 09:06:43 PM »
Doesn't Syria have the right to develop nuclear technology like Israel did? Considering the turbulent relationship between Israel and Syria over the years, aren't Syria justified in developing nukes since Israel already has them? They have a right to defend themselves.

First, do a little research on history. Harold Wilson was prime minister. The sale of plutonium was made despite a warning from British intelligence that it might  what they called a "material contribution to the Israeli weapons program" back then.

Under Wilson, Britain also sold Israel tons of chemicals used to make boosted atom bombs 20 times more powerful than Hiroshima or even Hydrogen Bombs.

In Harold Macmillan's time the UK supplied uranium 235 and the heavy water which allowed Israel to start up its nuclear weapons production plant at Dimona - heavy water which British intelligence estimated would allow Israel to make "six nuclear weapons a year".

The US did NOT agree to this.  Just as we do not agree with any brown skin religious nutjob....er, middle eastern country today having such a weapon.

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2008, 09:07:19 PM »
Iran a puppet of the Syrian government?  :lol

And the answer to your question is: No.
How about Syria doing the dirty work of Iran? Acceptable or unreasonable?

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2008, 09:11:32 PM »
Let's get down to it Lumpy.

A middle eastern country already has nukes. Happens to be Israel. Israel just happens to cooperate with most Western countries.

Should any additional countries in the middle east have nukes "just because" someone else has them? Or should that door that was opened briefly (and unfortunately) be closed?

Seriously, do you think these other countries would use the nukes strictly as a political tool as the US, China, Russia, France, and UK have?  Or do you think they might just get a bit hasty and use one if pushed.  Lets call it "Nuke Rage based on Religious grounds"....I believe the latter myself.