Author Topic: Your next firearm purchase...  (Read 1527 times)

Offline SteveBailey

• Gold Member
Re: Your next firearm purchase...
« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2008, 07:35:15 PM »
I picked up one of these about a month ago.  An absolute joy to shoot.

(Image removed from quote.)

Great intermediary between a Pistol and carbine.

Bod, is that a P90?  What did that run ya?

Offline mbailey

• Platinum Member
« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2008, 07:49:21 PM »
 Next firearm purchase gonna be a carry gun, possibly a Sig Sauer P225. Now all i got to do is locate one. Buddy of mine has one and it is a great SD gun, quick from the holster and big front sight.   

After that id like a Lazzeroni chambered in 7.62 Warbird with a Swarovski scope

(excuse me while i drool)  :aok
Mbailey
80th FS "Headhunters"

Ichi Go Ichi E
Character is like a tree and reputation like its shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

When the game is over, the Kings and Pawns all go into the same box.

Offline BBBB

• Nickel Member
« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2008, 08:03:55 PM »
mbailey, I just sold my 225 today. If I had known you were looking for one we could have worked something out. I had been trying to get rid of it for over a month now.

Keep an eye out over at glocktalk.com in their gun trading section lots of neat stuff come though there. I have seen a few 225 of varying quality over the years.

Offline Ironblade

• Nickel Member
« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2008, 08:43:10 PM »
Salute All
My CAR16 just finished still raw..lol

My little black rifle!! :salute
Hay St. Boys

Offline Hamltnblue

• Nickel Member
« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2008, 09:20:14 PM »
I recently picked up a Ruger SR9
http://www.ruger.com/Firearms/FAFamily?type=Pistol&subtype=Centerfire%20Autoloading&famlst=62&variation=P345%C2%AE
It fires great and holds 17+1 with a nice thin grip.
Looking up the link I just found that there's a safety recall on it. LOL
Turns out this thread served a purpose.

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2008, 08:34:36 AM »
bbgmaw.. keep in touch..  when the housing market picks up a bit I will sell this overpriced monster of a duplex I built way back when and buy some place where the neighbors don't mind gunfire and hot rods.   

Thing is.. one thing leads to another..  if I start casting again then I will probly need something in 45-70 or so to get the most energy out of the lowest velocity..   nothing like a 450 grain slug going 1400 fps or so.  shoots like a rainbow but.. what it hits..

For a 22 pistol you should look into a good smith K22..  or even the newer 63 or 4 or whatever it is.   or get an old high standard victor.

lazs

Offline Charon

• Gold Member
« Reply #36 on: April 29, 2008, 09:11:26 AM »
I would like to get (in no particular order):

Para FNFAL
AR-15 (I would like to do a retro A1 build)
One of the AKs

The AWB issues in the state and county cause me to hesitate a bit until some current issues are decided. Though I will rush out if things come to pass where the grandfather clause becomes a motivator. I also have a second child on the way and the possibility of going to one income and with money in the bank NOW... might be a good time to get at least one rifle and pistol before hard times set in :)

for pistols

XD45
A nice .22 like the Ruger Mk III

I saw a nice used featherweight Taurus .38 revolver at the gunshop that appeals to me for some reason even though you can't carry in IL.

Offline Xargos

• Platinum Member
« Reply #37 on: April 29, 2008, 09:18:27 AM »

I saw a nice used featherweight Taurus .38 revolver at the gunshop that appeals to me for some reason even though you can't carry in IL.

I bought one of those for my mom, she likes it.
Jeffery R."Xargos" Ward

"At least I have chicken." 
Member DFC

Offline Airhead

• Gold Member
      • http://www.ouchytheclown.com
« Reply #38 on: April 29, 2008, 10:23:04 AM »
What I'd like to buy next would be an M1 Garand, just to have a piece of history...what I will buy next tho will be an autoloader in 28 ga. for pheasant hunting. My 12 ga. gets too heavy after a day of bird hunting.

Offline Charon

• Gold Member
« Reply #39 on: April 29, 2008, 10:42:16 AM »
What I'd like to buy next would be an M1 Garand, just to have a piece of history...

Try the CMP Airhead. Best deal and delivered right to your door. Same with Ammo. Can get carbines now too. A few extra hoops to jump through up front, but easy and inexpensive once the paperwork is done. You get a Garand for about 200 under street price. I think the service grade is a great deal, and field and rack grade are cheaper and certainly adequate.

http://www.odcmp.com/services/rifles/m1garand.htm

I may actually get another Garand first.

Charon
« Last Edit: April 29, 2008, 10:49:03 AM by Charon »

Offline Charon

• Gold Member
« Reply #40 on: April 29, 2008, 10:46:36 AM »
I bought one of those for my mom, she likes it.

That was actually my idea too. My mom wants a pistol but has a weakness in her shooting arm so she needs something light. My only concern has been the recoil because the pistol is so light, though I imagine it is not too bad with regular .38 special.

Charon

Offline Xargos

• Platinum Member
« Reply #41 on: April 29, 2008, 10:52:44 AM »

You're right, +P ammo may be too much for her in a lightweight frame.
Jeffery R."Xargos" Ward

"At least I have chicken." 
Member DFC

Offline SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #42 on: April 29, 2008, 03:58:29 PM »
Try the CMP Airhead. Best deal and delivered right to your door. Same with Ammo. Can get carbines now too. A few extra hoops to jump through up front, but easy and inexpensive once the paperwork is done. You get a Garand for about 200 under street price. I think the service grade is a great deal, and field and rack grade are cheaper and certainly adequate.

http://www.odcmp.com/services/rifles/m1garand.htm

I may actually get another Garand first.

Charon

Wow, I may have to figure out a way to get one of these.

Are these considered collector pieces? Is that why they are delivered to your door?

I've always wanted a Garand, but thought they were way out of my price range.
444th Air Mafia since Air Warrior
Proudly flying with VF-17

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline Charon

• Gold Member
« Reply #43 on: April 29, 2008, 04:51:22 PM »
Wow, I may have to figure out a way to get one of these.

Are these considered collector pieces? Is that why they are delivered to your door?

I've always wanted a Garand, but thought they were way out of my price range.

Like most Garands these are not strictly speaking collector pieces (except the CMP correct grade) since they have been rearsenaled and are not "all matching." But they do hold and appreciate in value and will always be sought after as collectable shooters. The history and service is there, as is the "Garand Ping" :) A real "original" Garand would be too valuable to shoot, and all of the remade originals out there have, IMO made true collectables suspect unless you are talking something like a gas trap Garand.

US parts were not number matched to the weapon as was the case elsewhere, but the parts were mfg stamped. During regular maintenance parts would be swapped out with whatever was on hand and they were reparkerized at various times, the barrel replaced, etc. making them not original in collectors' eyes. There was/is quite the hobby in finding an original barreled receiver then adding parts from the appropriate mfgs to basically remake the weapon to a faux original status. A waste of time, IMO, especially since you kill what history the original rifle had.

You do have to jump through a few hoops with CMP, but nothing too challenging especially if you are prior military and have a DD214 on hand.

ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS
By law, the CMP can sell surplus military firearms, ammunition, parts and other items only to members of CMP affiliated clubs who are also U.S. citizens, over 18 years of age and who are legally eligible to purchase a firearm.

U.S. Citizenship:
You must provide a copy of a U.S. birth certificate, passport, proof of naturalization, or any official government document that shows birth in the U.S. or states citizenship as U.S.

You must provide proof of age. Usually proof of citizenship also provides proof of age. In those cases where it may not, a driver’s license is sufficient.

Membership in CMP Affiliated Organization
You must provide a copy of your current membership card or other proof of membership. This requirement cannot be waived. The CMP currently has over 2,000 affiliated organizations located in many parts of the country.

Membership in many of these organizations costs $25.00 or less and can be accomplished online. A listing of affiliated organizations can be found by clicking on our Club Search web page at http://clubs.odcmp.com/cgi-bin/clubSearch.cgi. If you have any difficulty in locating a club, please contact the CMP at 256-835-8455 or by emailing custserve@odcmp.com. We will find one for you.  In addition to shooting clubs, the CMP also has several special affiliates.  Membership in these organizations satisfies our requirement for purchase.  These special affiliates include: Congressionally chartered veterans' organizations such as the VFW, AL, DAV, MCL, etc. U.S. Military services (active or reserves), National Guard, to include retirees.  Professional 501(c)3 law enforcement organizations and associations such as the FOP, NAPO, NSA, etc.

Note: Club membership IS required for purchase of rifles, parts, and ammunition.

Club membership is NOT required for instructional publications or videos or CMP memorabilia.

Marksmanship or other Firearms Related Activity
You must provide proof of participation in a marksmanship related activity or otherwise show familiarity with the safe handling of firearms and range procedures. Your marksmanship related activity does not have to be with highpower rifles; it can be with smallbore rifles, pistols, air guns or shotguns. Proof of marksmanship participation can be provided by documenting any of the following:

Current or past military service.
Current or past law enforcement service
Participation in a rifle, pistol, air gun or shotgun competition (provide copy of results bulletin).
Completion of a marksmanship clinic that included live fire training (provide a copy of the certificate of completion or a statement from the instructor).
Distinguished, Instructor, or Coach status.
Concealed Carry License.
Firearms Owner Identification Cards that included live fire training.
FFL or C&R license.
Completion of a Hunter Safety Course that included live fire training.
Certification from range or club official or law enforcement officer witnessing shooting activity. A form for use in completing and certifying your range firing can be downloaded from the CMP web site at http://www.odcmp.com/forms/marksmanship.pdf
No proof of marksmanship required if over age 60.  proof of club membership and citizenship required for all ages.
NOTE: Proof of marksmanship activity is not required for purchase of ammunition, parts, publications or memorabilia.

Be Legally Eligible to Purchase a Firearm
The information you supply on your application will be submitted by the CMP to the FBI National Instant Criminal Check System (NICS) to verify you are not prohibited by Federal, State or Local law from acquiring or possessing a rifle. Your signature on the Purchaser Certification portion of the purchase application authorizes the CMP to initiate the NICS check and authorizes the FBI to inform CMP of the result. IMPORTANT: If your State or locality requires you to first obtain a license, permit, or Firearms Owner ID card  in order to possess or receive a rifle, you must enclose a photocopy of your license, permit, or card with the application for purchase.

Order Form and Purchaser Certification and Agreement
Order forms and other required documents may be downloaded from http://www.odcmp.com/Forms/1orderform.pdf. For those customers who receive our hard-copy catalog, we recommend they make several copies of the blank form for use in placing future orders. Customers should complete both the Order Form and the Purchaser Certification and Agreement and sign it before a notary. Orders received without notarized signature will not be processed.

Great deal, and great organization that promotes marksmanship in the US. And yes, they do deliver to the door. The Fed Ex guy got very familiar last year with heavy boxes of Lake City and Greek 30-06.

Charon
« Last Edit: April 29, 2008, 04:53:14 PM by Charon »

Offline Mr No Name

• Silver Member
« Reply #44 on: April 29, 2008, 05:06:03 PM »
The only 2 i'd love to add to my collection are the taurus judge and a genuine M-14
Vote R.E. Lee '24