Author Topic: Tank destroyers  (Read 3606 times)

Offline flyboy96

• Copper Member
Re: Tank destroyers
« Reply #45 on: August 06, 2008, 12:05:27 PM »
TDs don't have much armor but are a little faster.(the fastest would be the M18 Hellcat)And just because they aren't in the movies or most TV shows doesn't mean they don't exist.Watch Tank Overhaul and they might show you the M18.
flyboy96
"Circle around the enemy and kick'em in the pants"-George S. Patton
40th FS 'Fight'n Red Devils' (Recruiting)

Offline MiloMorai

• Platinum Member
« Reply #46 on: August 06, 2008, 12:45:40 PM »
wow sorry guys...   ive never heard of tank destroyers before... i thought thats what other tanks were for... whats the difference? and i never saw one in all the movies and history channel ive seen...

American TDs

http://www.squadron.com/ItemDetails.asp?item=ss2036&Submit3=Go

Offline Wyld45

• Copper Member
      • AH2 Rough Rider Bugler
« Reply #47 on: August 06, 2008, 01:51:40 PM »
OK IM not a platinum or gold or silver member, but here goes, we need tank destroyers in this game.  The russians and germans really had alot of variety and actually specialized in this field.  A SU85 would probably be the best all around(since we do not have a t 34/85) in this game at present time.  A su 100 or 122 would be a perk vehicle and would make the firefly obsolete.  Also a jagdpanther or (heaven forbid) jagdtiger would make it the gv of choice and also perk.  So we have the cz 38, a 75mm open turret vehicle, or is my memory wrong and too lazy to look it up a 75 mm panzer III?  (jagdpanzer?)  Opinions welcome but usually not tolerated(S)
                        Teufl,with a post like that,you just went from "Zinc" to "Gold". Well posted!  :aok  :salute
RRWyld45  1138th "Rough Riders" Bomber Wing

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #48 on: August 06, 2008, 03:02:58 PM »
Watch Tank Overhaul and they might show you the M18.

Ive seen that one, this vet gets to command his hellcat again after the resto. just awesome :aok
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline BigPlay

• Silver Member
« Reply #49 on: August 08, 2008, 04:01:37 PM »
Everyone is forgetting one thing about the American TD's. All  the games current main battle tanks can kill them one shot . It wouldn't be much different from a Firefly with excepting of speed. The SU-88, SU-100 or German Jadpanther would at least have a little more battlefield survivability than an M-10 or M-18 plus a lot lower profile.

Offline spit16nooby

• Copper Member
« Reply #50 on: August 08, 2008, 06:30:10 PM »
I don't think that country really matters in the GV field right now because none of the countries have fleshed out sets.  The best one is probably the US with the M3 M8 and Firefly(which really is pretty much british) the americans dont really have a true tank that is purely american.  So give me a gv from any country :rock

Offline sirvlad

• Nickel Member
« Reply #51 on: August 09, 2008, 01:19:56 PM »
A few  of those easy to kill french tanks  need added. Don`t need to be a great big tank that kills everything it comes up against. The junky ones can be fun to, like the m8 is.

Offline BigPlay

• Silver Member
« Reply #52 on: August 26, 2008, 01:40:45 PM »
I don't think that country really matters in the GV field right now because none of the countries have fleshed out sets.  The best one is probably the US with the M3 M8 and Firefly(which really is pretty much british) the americans dont really have a true tank that is purely american.  So give me a gv from any country :rock

What do you call a Sherman. The Firefly is all American with exception of the gun. The 76mm HV American gun was almost as capable as the British 19 pounder. The problem was there were only 100 or so Shermans that landed at Normandy with this gun. Also the HVAP rounds were few and always at a shortage . There is also the Pershing. Problem with that is it came late in the war.

Offline 321BAR

• Platinum Member
« Reply #53 on: August 26, 2008, 05:51:38 PM »
well personally i would like some american tds, such as the m10 or the m18
Yeah guys, we just had a thread in wishlist for TD's, try to keep that one going :aok
I am in need of a new epic quote
Happy Jack's Go Buggy

Offline E25280

• Gold Member
      • http://125thspartanforums.com
« Reply #54 on: August 26, 2008, 07:44:38 PM »
What do you call a Sherman. The Firefly is all American with exception of the gun. The 76mm HV American gun was almost as capable as the British 19 pounder. The problem was there were only 100 or so Shermans that landed at Normandy with this gun. Also the HVAP rounds were few and always at a shortage . There is also the Pershing. Problem with that is it came late in the war.
First, it is the 17 pounder, not 19. 

Second, no, the US 76mm was not comparable to the 17 pounder by a long shot (no pun intended).  I am sure sources will vary somewhat, but the quick/easy one I use shows the 17 pounder penetration at 1000 meters is 115mm with standard AP vs. 83mm with the US M1A2 76mm gun.  True, HVAP get the penetration of the US gun to 137mm -- but the APDS round for the 17 pounder moves its penetration to 185mm.  The 17 pounder is better than the US gun by at least 35%.

The US gun is more on par with the PzkwIV(H)'s 75mm gun.
Brauno in a past life, followed by LTARget
SWtarget in current incarnation
Captain and Communications Officer~125th Spartans

"Proudly drawing fire so that my brothers may pass unharmed."

Offline teufl

• Zinc Member
« Reply #55 on: October 02, 2008, 07:42:16 PM »
Well yes with the 17 pounder over the 76, by quite a bit.  The US tankers were begging for 1 per tank regiment(which was the standard for the Brits) but were well DENIED! :o  However we havent talked about the m36, the m10 with a 90 mm gun, well AH is a plane game, BUT  how many times you been takin out by 1 or 2 shots and say Heck didnt even see the guy.  So TDs are very important to the game.  But with the 37 mm IL2, heck open topped tanks, which we have none of(not talkin bout the super WW or ostie, it would be a matter of how they are modeled and all TD's had 50 cal aa in turret. :t  And TY for the move to Gold, just rather fly then be in here<S>
It's not vulching, It's FIELD SUPPRESSION

Offline glock89

• Gold Member
« Reply #56 on: October 02, 2008, 09:49:55 PM »
Stug would be nice to have. :aok
Fear and death in the wings, in thrall of those fallen from grace
Petty is as petty does, witness the mass disgrace.

Offline BoSoxFan

• Copper Member
« Reply #57 on: October 02, 2008, 10:06:44 PM »
Throw in the Su-152 and I'm all for it. :aok

The Su-152 was a self propelled gun not a tank destroyer.

Offline BigPlay

• Silver Member
« Reply #58 on: October 03, 2008, 10:55:03 AM »
First, it is the 17 pounder, not 19. 

Second, no, the US 76mm was not comparable to the 17 pounder by a long shot (no pun intended).  I am sure sources will vary somewhat, but the quick/easy one I use shows the 17 pounder penetration at 1000 meters is 115mm with standard AP vs. 83mm with the US M1A2 76mm gun.  True, HVAP get the penetration of the US gun to 137mm -- but the APDS round for the 17 pounder moves its penetration to 185mm.  The 17 pounder is better than the US gun by at least 35%.

The US gun is more on par with the PzkwIV(H)'s 75mm gun.

according to the allied gun penatration chart I have it's comprable up to 2000 yards then it falls off, but tank battles on the westen front were done at closer ranges than on the Russian stepps .

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #59 on: October 03, 2008, 01:29:51 PM »
Not intending to steal the thread, but wouldn't self propelled artie be an idea?
It was very interesting to carry out the flight trials at Rechlin with the Spitfire and the Hurricane. Both types are very simple to fly compared to our aircraft, and childishly easy to take-off and land. (Werner Mölders)